Nitsud's Training Journey

• Thank you received: 1873

Jax replied the topic: Nitsud's Training Journey

Ideally, we don't need to force people to care for others, which is in the best interest of the society as a whole. But clearly we aren't there yet which is why we have laws to do so. As that changes we'll need less to motivate people to do what is best. It reminds me of a city in Colorado who either needed to raise taxes a moderate amount so they could pay all the utilities, keep all the street lights on, parks open, etc for around $115 per person, or they would have to turn everything off and individuals could pay $150 to turn on one streetlight (presumably on their street). The tax increase was voted down and people chose to pay more than the tax would have been to have just one light instead of all of them. It's hard not to damn all ideologues when that happens because it is so illogical.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 151

Dustin replied the topic: Nitsud's Training Journey

The last couple of weeks have been pretty eye opening. From the various links and ideas the Spirit Science videos got me interested in and chatting with KitFox since she became active online my perspective of existence is adapting to lots of new input that is making it through my BS-detection methods. Exploring the landscape and sorting through what I'm reading and experiencing is taking a good portion of my spare attention right now. There's way too much to put to writing but for a self-pronounced skeptic of other people's esoteric experiences being able to feel and toy with energies between my hands is a strange thing to admit.

New depths doesn't mean I've lost my footing... everything about me is still solid and intact. This has been a very positive growing process for me. Some of the most fun and focused periods I've had in a while.

I'm not sure what else to say.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Anais Nin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Jax

Well, Jackie's nudge worked on me. Here is what my day to day routine looks like right now.

Diet
The amount of time I have for physical elements in the morning is dependent on how simple my breakfast and lunch preparations are. I have been experimenting to find something so I don't feel overfull, don't fatigue or hunger as the day progresses, and yet still has my weight on the scale going in the right direction. It has also helped to look at my eating habits as a form of addiction: Impulsion, excuses, rewarding allowances, being tired, etc I kind of have the signs of it so I've been keeping an eye on my inner dialogues and habits there.

In terms of inspiration I figured that there is no better group of people to emulate in this regard than the Shaolin warrior monks, so a millet porridge inspired by an eight treasure congee attributed to their daily routine has been my latest project. I started with this (pg52) recipe, which I doubt is what they actually use in China but it seemed the most plausible start since the ingredients are more readily available than other recipes I found. My latest rendition uses 3/4 cup of millet, thrice that of water, as well as the peanuts, pine nuts, walnuts, and three dates instead of five. I use one or two apricots since I haven't been able to find hawthorn berries yet. Rock sugar definitely makes it more palatable, I stick to smaller stones (<10g) though. I stopped using beans last week since they take a long time to cook on their own but they seem to help keep me feeling full as the morning wares on so I'll probably add them back in.

My focus on breakfast hasn't left much time for experimenting with my lunch routine yet so I've just been toying with my previous spinach and rice based habits. Half a cup of rice, with 2 hard boiled eggs, and a 100g bowl of spinach. I plan to experiment with tofu and a 5-6 vegetable variety once I have breakfast drilled down.

Poses & Stances - I try to do in morning an evening.
  • Forward bend
  • Hero Pose with head down
  • Camel Pose
  • Seated forward bend
  • Plow Pose
  • Shoulder Stand
  • Bridge Pose
  • I do downward and upward dog too but only seem to remember in the evening
  • Kung fu style Horse Stance is what I've been actually working on physically/mentally. I want to focus on progressing to the point of holding with good posture for 5-10 minutes before trying the next basic Shaolin stance. When I started two weeks ago my muscle posture would involuntarily lean me forward or cause me to fall backwards as I went down. And with my back straight as low as I could go (~45 deg) I could only stay there for 3-4 breaths. Today my thighs are almost full parallel to the floor while keeping my back straight and I can currently hold it for 13 full breaths. I'm still working on the muscle memory to get my shins more perpendicular to the floor while doing that though.

The much older posts before this may beg questions as to where I'm at with more esoteric practices and all I can really say is that my routes down that path faded as the activity at the Synergy Commune sputtered out about a year ago. There are things that have changed in less physical areas of my life though, but I plan to just mix those in over time.

We are drawn to the areas we need to be focusing on, typically. The dietary changes do impact the energetic being, so you are working on esoterics, even when you aren't doing it purposely. :-)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1911

Kol Drake replied the topic: Nitsud's Training Journey

I find a banana in the morning can keep me full well past lunch time. (And the potassium is handy too) Afraid bananas aren't a typical Shaolin staple though.

Lately, on my oatmeal, I add cinnamon (tons of 'good things') and instead of honey, I toss on a bit of blackstrap molasses. Although it can take some getting used to, it contains significant amounts of vitamin B6 and minerals, including calcium, magnesium, iron, and manganese; one tablespoon provides up to 20% of the recommended daily value of each of those nutrients. and also another good source of potassium.

You copied that from Wikipedia...

I love bananas so much more than blackstrap molasses... not that I've tried it, but it sounds abysmal. Oatmeal gives me worse gas than lactose so I was pleasantly surprised to come across millet.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1911

Kol Drake replied the topic: Nitsud's Training Journey

The bit of that last sentence about the nutritional stuff... yep.
Too lazy to grab the bottle from the upstairs cupboard at the time.

And I cheat... I mix half honey and half molasses.

Can't eat oatmeal? Yikes.
Although, there has to be some healthy substitute that tastes better than chewing the stable horse's oats and straw.

Oh, and once upon a time, I was told (and did it for a bit) -- you can take a tablespoon of molasses and stir it into a cup of hot water... and knock it back. We used some that had sulfur in it... so it had that extra 'oomph'. Between the cinnamon and molasses 'tea', I do not recall having colds, flu or any medical issues during that time. Then again, I was too busy to get sick!
:p

Did you use the slow cooking steel cut oatmeal? Apparently some people who struggle with wheat can also struggle with oatmeal. I find it strange, but what do I know about the molecular structure of foods? lol

Something heavy on my mind was relieved yesterday and today I felt the urge to let that sink in while letting whatever the next primary focus emerge. So today is a loosening day: No stretching, poses, or calisthenics. No breakfast or lunch prep... just a banana ( ;) ). No coffee. I haven't decided whether I will eat lunch yet.

Exploring the prospects of how to tell my story for the final assignment of Personal 101 here has drummed up a puzzle I have neglected since I was attempting to put together material for Synergy Commune. I am farther with it than I was previously so I suppose I have managed to learn something by walking away from it for a year or more. It may turn out being a wordy muddle, as my writing tends to be, but the extra research required is a good sign that the challenge to support change and growth is getting threaded in.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax

XYAI
Yesterday it was actually pretty easy to make it until dinner without eating, especially since I didn't have food at work. Actually I had a hand full of dried cranberries and almonds as a pre-dinner snack once I got to my mom and stepfathers house. We had my favorite meal, spaghetti, which I could easily overstuff myself with but managed to just get full.

I generally eat things in order of what I like least to what I like most; a habit to help with the old table rules of eating everything on my plate. I’ve known that for a long time but last night I realized that it has likely helped to enable my “social consumption” tendencies; the sweet/salty/etc flavors as reward system for self/social-conditioning. The upside of that is that I have no fear in trying pretty much anything which is considered food. The down side, in addition to inflated portions, is that I will drink or eat things I normally wouldn’t when accompanied by others. Something to watch out for. I have resolved to eat the main thing I want to eat in the portion I want to eat it then maintain healthier sides, which others ironically don’t watch as closely or care if thrown away, as the idle munching food as I wait for a meal to run its course for others. It sounds like a good scheme in theory.

What’s come up for me to focus on are the little things I’ve been neglecting to do because they’ve been so inconsequential when compared to big picture items on my radar. Updating the look of someone’s website is one of those things. I haven’t been flossing and grown lax in my wart removal routine. Piddly stuff like that. I figure that part of why I refine and practice my routines is to make sure small stuff doesn't fall through the cracks... but in the big idea of trying new things makes it easy for just that to happen.

I just did stretching poses today, I may do some jumping jacks too to get the blood moving. I’m not feeling particularly driven in that realm. I may do something of a more focused energy in the afternoon… a birthday party with kids will have opportunity for it anyway. Added 25g of oatmeal to 100g of millet to see if I can sneak my gut into being able to handle it because it is nutritionally a more round cereal. The congee should give me the fuel to play anyway.

I had another realization this morning but I may just add that to my story since it's pretty involved.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds