Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Nick's Training Journal - Page 23 - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Nick's Training Journal

• Nick
  • Nick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Falling is part of the journey
  • Thank you received: 184

Nick replied the topic: Public Speaking Tips

I wrote an article for Patch.com: patch.com/maryland/perryville/public-speaking-tips

Check it out and let me know what you think!

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1952

Kol Drake replied the topic: Public Speaking Tips

I remember when you first mentioned your ToastMaster events.
All you said is so true.

My first 'book report' ended up with me freezing and then breaking down into tears and leaving the classroom. I never wanted to have to stand in front of people like that again.

So, of course, I had to talk 'debate' in junior high. Learned how to stand in front of 'troops' in the military and give instructions / exhibitions... even to the point of me being a 'lowly' sergeant giving lectures to generals (and his entourage of lesser officers) on a windy hillside on the East/West German border.

Cut to years later when I was told I'd have to give a 3 hour 'roundtable lecture' at a college on a weekend -- because my boss didn't want to do it. By then, I could stand up and give an entire 'off the cuff' soapbox lecture and didn't sweat at all.

Like you said, practice and 'varied circumstances' really helped hone those skills.

( that and 20 years of my soapbox lectures here on the forum! :P )
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds