Nick's Training Journal

• Nick
  • Nick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Don't Stop Believing... in yourself!
  • Thank you received: 131

Nick replied the topic: 2/17/12

Went to bed at 2130, slept in until 0600. Back feels better but still sore. Skip the strenuous parts of the workout and focus on stretching.

Workout 15 min
  • Stretch 5 min
  • Lower Back Stretches 5 min
  • Cool Down Stretch 5 min

Training 31 min (more work spill over)
  • Reading Intro Course Manual 1 min
  • Guided Meditation: The Lighthouse 30 min

Course Work
Guided Meditation: The Lighthouse

I felt relaxed and sleepy. Getting into the meditation was easy as the imagery is very familiar. No questions came to mind while in meditation. Maybe I'll try again later after I've had some time to think of some questions to ask.

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1762

Jax replied the topic: Re: 2/15/12

Motion sickness is certainly not conducive to physical activity. ;-) I was just curious. Carry on. :-D

• Nick

Nick replied the topic: 2/18/12 - 2/20/12

I will be updating my weekend training on Mondays, because I don't get online much while at home. So, my wife bought me a heating pad and it was the miracle cure for my back pain. That and a lot of relaxing. I usually can't sit still for more than 15 minutes unless I'm playing a video game. So I got comfortable Friday night and Saturday morning and played an hour of Halo and an hour of Madden with the heating pad on low. I felt great by Saturday afternoon and got a short workout around 1500.

Unfortunately, I caught my daughter's cold at some point Saturday. That night the sinus pressure and congestion started to build up. Miserable all day Sunday, blowing noses and taking naps. Last night, the nasal drainage was awful. I woke up involuntarily and made it just in time to the toilet to ralph. The sinus pressure in my face is intense. My daughter is on antibotics due to an ear infection, but it doesn't seem to be doing much for her cold, so I guess it is viral and likely there is no sense in me seeing the doctor.

If anyone has any remedies to recommend, then feel free. The over-the-counter drugs, which are usually pretty effective, have been making me drowsy, but hardly treating my symptoms. This morning I took an immune system booster, a green tea supplement, 1000 mg of acetaminophen, and 10 mg of phenylephrine HCl.

Saturday Workout 20 min
  • Stretch 5 min
  • Alternating push ups and sit ups (4 sets of 25 and 50, respectively) 5 min

Saturday Training 15 min
  • Guided Meditation: The Lighthouse 15 min

Saturday Course Work

I felt relaxed and sleepy, again. Still no questions. It's hard to recall anything of concern after I've washed away my worries.

Sunday Workout 15 min
  • Stretch 5 min

Sunday Training 15 min
  • Guided Meditation: The Lighthouse 15 min

Sunday Course Work

Actually fell asleep during this one. I can't remember how far I got in, but I don't think it more than 5 minutes. I only nodded off for about 15 minutes which is how long I usually nap, if I ever take one (anything much longer turns into sleep and I wake up more tired then when I went down unless I get 3 or more hours). Anyway, it was a much needed nap.

Monday Workout 10 min (woke up late and still sick, so I didn't make it to the gym)
  • Stretch 3 min
  • Alternating push ups and sit ups (4 sets of 25 and 50, respectively) 5 min
  • Cool Down Stretch 2 min

Monday Training 60 min
  • Reading "Star Wars and Philosophy" 30 min
  • Guided Meditation: Bubble of Love 30 min

Monday Course Work
Guided Meditation: Bubble of Love

This meditation was a bit harder to get in to and less relaxing than I had hoped. The sinus pressure was probably playing a part. This time I did ask some questions about some different topics: daughter's health, job security and travel, and my sex life. No answers came. I'm going to try this one again and focus on just one of those questions.

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi

Jax replied the topic: Re: 2/18/12 - 2/20/12

First, don't waste your time with the sudafed you can get in the regular aisles. You need to stuff with pseudophedrine. That's behind the counter at the pharmacy and you can only get one box at a time because people suck and use it to make meth. The 'safe' stuff doesn't work, at all. The real stuff will. Also, I know we think of it for kids and cough, but get some vicks rub. The menthol helps open and sooth the passageways.

• Nick

Nick replied the topic: 2/21/12

This morning I'm still congested but less mucous. The sinus pressure is still intense. I picked up the Pseudophedrine HCl last night, but stuck with the Phenylephrine HCl as it seemed somewhat helpful. Today I'm switching it up, because I don't think the Phenylephrine or Acetaminophen are doing anything for the sinus pressure.

As for the Vapor Rub, since I never sleep alone (wife and cat in bed, dog at the foot, kids on rare occassions) I don't think it would be considerite. I know it can be helpful as my parents used it on me as a kid, but it could affect the cat, dog, or baby in adverse ways. Plus, I know my wife doesn't like it.

I got an early start this morning, but it was because my 1 year old was awake crying. Gave her some milk and put her back down, but she was awake again by the time I was out of the shower. This time she had gotten her stuck between the slats of her crib. More milk and back down, but I expect my wife to have an early morning as well. This bump in the routine stole my workout time, so I kept it short. I don't think my body was ready to hit the treadmill yet anyway.

Workout 15 min
  • Stretch 5 min
  • 100 Push Ups and 200 Situps 8 min

Training 60 min
  • Reading Intro Course Manual 15 min
  • Guided Meditation: Bubble of Love 45 min

Course Work
Guided Meditation: Bubble of Love

I did this meditation twice. Broke out of it the first time because my head felt like it was going to explode while slightly bobbing causing me to get nausaeous. I was sitting in a chair with my head unsupported as I'd done before. For the second time, I sat on the floor with my head against the wall. This eliminated the bobbing feeling, but the congested pain was still there and intensified as I concentrated. I think it best if I skip the meditations until I'm over the head cold.

--Mahatma Gandhi

• Nick

Nick replied the topic: Re: 2/22/12

I'm still sick. Sinus pressure is the worst. I have a lot of tasks to get through today, so I gotta focus.

Workout 15 min
  • Stretch 5 min
  • 100 Push Ups and 200 Situps 8 min

Training 60 min
  • Reading Intro Course Manual 5 min
  • Completing Course Work 25 min
  • Reading "Star Wars and Philosophy" 30 min

Course Work
'Why Jedi'

Began answering the questions. These are questions which require time to ponder to answer properly. They'll marinate in the back of my brain until tomorrow, but I'll be sure to pull them to the forefront and contemplate for a bit, too.

--Mahatma Gandhi

Jax replied the topic: Re: 2/22/12

Did you try the pseudophedrine? Just don't take it at night.

• Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: 2/22/12

Why not take it at night? That's usually the only time I take it? I can deal with a stuffed up nose all day, but if I'm stuffed up at night, I don't sleep well.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Jax replied the topic: Re: 2/22/12

It can wake him up. I made the mistake once when I was sick in college and couldn't sleep for days until I remembered it was an upper. That might not bother others though. And I defer to the doctor. ;-)

• Nick

Nick replied the topic: Re: 2/22/12

Jax wrote: Did you try the pseudophedrine? Just don't take it at night.

Yep, I tried it mid-afternoon on Tuesday when I got home from work. It made me real groggy and hard to operate. I read up on it so I knew it was a stimulant, but I thought it a good idea to try it while at home just in case, because those non-drowsy drugs still make me drowsy.

The cold is leaving so now I'm just left with the mucous clean up. Feeling really good today.

--Mahatma Gandhi

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds