Nick's Training Journal

• Nick
  • Nick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Don't Stop Believing... in yourself!
  • Thank you received: 131

Nick created the topic: Nick's Training Journal

It was a rough 2011 with lots of changes at home and work every month. I'm now in a much more comfortable spot where I can get back to routine training, instead of the "when I have free time" training.

I have constructed my schedule as follows on weekdays:
  • 0530 Wake
  • 0530 Feed animals
  • 0600 Commute (20 min) Gym/Workout (30 min) Shower/Dress (10 min)
  • 0700 Work
  • 1130 Lunch and Jedi Training/Schooling (1 hour)
  • 1230 Work
  • 1600 Commute Home (20 min)
  • 1630 Chores
  • 1700 Dinner
  • 1800 Quality time with kids
  • 2000 Bed for Kids
  • 2030 Quality time with Wife
  • 2130 Feed animals
  • 2200 Bed

While at work, I use my break time to check forums, so I may be active during that time on here, but don't expect too much.

Workouts will center around general fitness improvement. I'll set some goals next month when I have a good handle on my overall fitness. Right now, everything will be taken in stride day-to-day, while being cautious not to overdue anything.

Jedi Training and Schooling will be mostly my school work here, but I do plan to take classes at other sites on occassion. Also, I have other offline groups and activities which I'll work with during this time.

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nick

Nick replied the topic: 2/13/12

Workout 25 min (5 minutes of administrative stuff for the fitness center)
  • Stretch and Warm Up 5 min
  • Treadmill 15 min (9 min mile pace)
  • Cool Down Stretch 5 min

Training 1 hr
  • Reading Intro Course Manual 30 min
  • Reading "Star Wars Philosophy" 30 min

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi

• Nick

Nick replied the topic: 2/14/12

Workout 30 min
  • Treadmill 15 min (8 min mile pace)
  • Machine Curl Bar 5 min (10 reps 40 lbs, 10 reps 45 lbs, 10 reps 50 lbs, 5 reps 60 lbs)
  • Cool Down Stretch 5 min

Training 1 hr
  • Developed Training Journal 15 min
  • Reading Intro Course Manual, Completing Course Work 30 min
  • Reading "Star Wars Philosophy" 15 min

Course Work

I scored 17 for physical intuitive, 31 for emotional intuitive, 25 for mental intuitive, and 23 for spiritual intuitive.

I anticipated my highest scores to be in emotional and mental intuitive, but did not expect spiritual to be as high.

--Mahatma Gandhi

• Nick

Nick replied the topic: 2/15/12

Workout 30 min
  • Free Weights: Flys, Curls, Bench Press, Over Head Press, Tricep Lift, Straight Arm Side Lift, Straight Arm Front Lift, Sit Ups 20 min (2 sets 10 reps 20 lbs each)
  • Squats (bar on track) 2 min (2 sets 10 reps 20 lbs)
  • Cool Down Stretch 3 min

Training 15 min (cut short due to work spill over)
  • Reading Intro Course Manual, Completing Course Work 15 min

--Mahatma Gandhi

• Thank you received: 1755

Jax replied the topic: Re: 2/14/12

Two quick things. First, make sure you post assignments in their correct forum (I gave you the information in your welcome email from the registration form). This is needed to keep track of things easily.

Second, under ideal circumstances you only allow yourself 7.5 hours of sleep. Realistically that probably heads toward 7 and less with any delays. The importance of sleep is sometimes lost because we're in a constant state of sleep deprivation. Make sure you aren't short changing sleep to try to fit everything in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick

• Nick

Nick replied the topic: Re: 2/14/12

Jax wrote: Two quick things. First, make sure you post assignments in their correct forum (I gave you the information in your welcome email from the registration form). This is needed to keep track of things easily.

Not a problem.

Jax wrote: Second, under ideal circumstances you only allow yourself 7.5 hours of sleep. Realistically that probably heads toward 7 and less with any delays. The importance of sleep is sometimes lost because we're in a constant state of sleep deprivation. Make sure you aren't short changing sleep to try to fit everything in.

I have two young kids, two cat, and a dog, so I hardly ever get to sleep through the night. I know and understand the importance of sleep, but sometimes 8 hours just isn't in the cards. As for my schedule, 10pm is the latest I like to fall asleep. 5:30 is the earliest I wake up on my own (no alarms, electrical or biological).

I know my body and sleep as late as it allows me (especially on weekends, which is 7am at the latest no matter how late I fell asleep). I am only still sleepy in the morning when my sleep cycle is interupted after 2am. I hardly ever feel tired during the day and I drink hardly any high caffenine beverages (just Dr Pepper).

It is funny how you worry about me short changing my sleep to fit everything in while in the recent past another Jedi school teacher was adamant that 45 minutes during every day is easy to come by. I do appreciate your concern. Since my routine is fairly new, I am being cautious to ensure my body takes to the changes well.

--Mahatma Gandhi

Jax replied the topic: Re: 2/14/12

Sounds good. :-)

Some people don't understand the schedules people have. For me, my goal times are the earliest I go to bed, so it usually gets pushed back. And then I hit the snooze...lol And then during the day I'm quite busy with many things. There's no way I could carve out 45 minutes a day for something new. Not without sacrificing something else important, like sleep. I believe in prioritizing with a purpose. There's nothing special about 45 minutes in my opinion. It's an arbitrary length of time. When I come to suggest things it always has a reason. When I decide what to train, it always has a practical purpose. It's not a perfect system by any stretch of the imagination, but it's never arbitrary. ;-)

Good luck with it. I know the pain of not sleeping through the night. While I don't have kids, my wife has nightmares, seizures, and other health problems that require me to wake up a lot. Then of course the cats like to lose their minds from time to time and run across the bed. Or walk on you because they are afraid that snoring is bad. lol I can't imagine dealing with kids on top of it, which is why my biological clock is on snooze. hehe

• Nick

Nick replied the topic: 2/16/12

Workout 30 min
  • Treadmill 20 min (10 min mile pace)
  • Cool Down Stretch 3 min

*UPDATE: I had some soreness in my lower back when I woke up. Stretched and it felt better, but not gone. I have a slight bend in my spine at my lower back and this can cause back spasms when I strain the muscles. I should have taken the day off from exercise. After I finished the treadmill, my back tighten up and I was in pain all day. I have stretches I do to relieve the pain, but it is only a temporary relief. I've done physical therapy for it, too, but again only temporary relief. The only way way to relieve it for an extended period of time is to use correct posture and rest.

Training 15 min (cut short due to work spill over)
  • Reading Intro Course Manual 15 min

--Mahatma Gandhi

Jax replied the topic: Re: 2/15/12

Do you ever read on the treadmill? That might not be easy, but I would read on the exercise bike when I had to study. It helped me sneak in study time, especially if I had to memorize something.

• Nick

Nick replied the topic: Re: 2/15/12

Jax wrote: Do you ever read on the treadmill? That might not be easy, but I would read on the exercise bike when I had to study. It helped me sneak in study time, especially if I had to memorize something.

When running and reading, I get motion sickness if the text is too small. I do read when on an exercise bike, though.

--Mahatma Gandhi

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds