Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

• Thank you received: 1888

Jax replied the topic: Re:Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

hahaha nice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Taijibum
  • Taijibum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Jedi Wannabe
  • Thank you received: 81

Taijibum replied the topic: Re:Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

I am trying to get back into heavy meditation again. I started last week with 20 min in the morning and now this week with 30 in the morning and 10 min at night. The trick with me is to not miss a day and I haven't. I'll increase 10 min a week until I am at an hour. I am also thinking of teaching Tai Chi again so I need to get the "look" right. In the end, its not what you know, its how you look. Sad, but true.
No beard.

Beard.

• Thank you received: 1462

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re:Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

Aye, unfortunately this is more often true than not. But at least with the beard, this shouldn’t be a big issue, should it? Just do not shave for one week, give or take and it should be done!? :obiwan

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

You might be surprised. If you are in an area without a lot of options, people will show up and not care how you look. As long as you are a good teacher, they'll appreciate that.

• Taijibum
  • Jedi Wannabe

No, thats not how it works. In the real world the white guy who travels the world studying Tai Chi, Qi Gong and meditation for 20 years will lose out to the asian guy with 6 months experience learning Tai Chi. It's just the way it is. People coming to Tai Chi as beginners have no idea if what you are showing them is good, bad or even real Tai Chi. It's nothing to feel resentful about. It's just the way it is.

That's a point of view some have, but if you take it on as truth, you will limit the people who would find you and don't care what you look like. If instead you go in saying, I have something of value to contribute, let's see who wants to receive, you'll get more people. And they'll be the kind of student you want. Or you can keep with the idea that you have to look a certain way and have a certain back story, and keep your ideal clients away. It's your choice. :-)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1919

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

Or... dress up like Kwai Chang Caine from the old Kung Fu TV series... speak halting English and then get 'martial' !!!

And toss off his 'overcoat' and slip on a brownish robe and you are nearly there to a Jedi look!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Taijibum

• Taijibum
  • Jedi Wannabe

I knew a kung fu teacher in the Detroit area who was super popular and would sometimes talk like Kwai Chang Caine and also Bruce Lee. The guy learned Shotokan Karate and sold it as kung fu. He had stories of himself traveling to the Shaolin temple and having a "secret" master there who was teaching him hidden techniques that only he knew. This teacher was charging $90 a month and had about 500 students. This was the largest group of adults taking martial arts I have ever seen. He was a marketing genius. He learned Tai Chi by watching a video and was teaching hundreds of people his "new and improved" Tai Chi. He became very wealthy before his students got wise and left him. He still teaches but now it is a mixed martial arts school and he is a now a former bare knuckle street fighting champion.

• Thank you received: 1462

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re:Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

Aye and this is also true from what I have experienced through my years of martial art training. In the end quality with a good foundation, background is what will “sell” in the end. So maybe that is the real questions for You, Taijibum, are You after the quick, easy money or do You want to build “real” teacher-student-relationships through your teaching?
As a side note, I guess that is why our Grandmaster doesn’t want any of his high ranked students to teach Bujinkan for a living. In my opinion, in that moment when someone has to earn, make money with what he is doing, he needs to make a compromise in one way or the other and in martial arts, unfortunately, this often means that numbers of students and not the quality of training is what counts.

To go with what Jax said before, as of me, I would rather follow a teacher/master whom I can respect and know of his background and quality than one who gives me a quick lift on grads but not teaching anything of value.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Are there tai chi classes in your area? If not, it won't matter what you look like anyway. And you might be able to teach at college and get paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please forgive typos

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds