Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

• Thank you received: 153

Brian replied the topic: Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

Nice!

Assistant Instructor-Communication 101

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Taijibum
  • Taijibum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Jedi Wannabe
  • Thank you received: 81

Taijibum replied the topic: Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

Yoshio wrote: Aye, it does make a whole world of a difference if you have to work with a Bokken or if you could work with an Iaito!
If You should ever have the chance to work with what they call a lively blade or Shinken, I’m sure You will experience that this will make again a big difference. Doing Tameshigiri is something never to forget!

The bokuto was light and in order to make it move fast you had to make it move fast with muscle. The Iaito just seems to move itself because it has weight and balance. I am drawing and resheathing about 50 times a day and practicing kesa to get the right/left hand lever thing about 200 times a day. Noto with an unsharpened blade scares me, I cant imagine a shinken.

• Thank you received: 1486

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

Actually, in my opinion, Noto isn’t the most dangerous movement. As I do see and, although not personally, have experienced it Batto – drawing the sword – is more dangerous especially when you “free” the sword by using your thumb to push it free in the Tsuba. Many people managed to cut their own thumbs on this movement.
But You, Taijibum, are right on Noto as well, as it is possible to pinch ones flesh between the index finger and the thumb.

Anyway, when working with the sword the rule “Budo has to be learned slow” fully applies. Through my experiences speed will come by itself when someone feels confidence in his movements. So, good luck with your exercises! Ganbatte kudasai! (Keep on going/Give your best)

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Taijibum
  • Jedi Wannabe

I just started barefoot running...... ouch!

So, what’s the weather then like?
Here in central Europe it might be still too cold for doing barefoot running as we still have snow, at least occasionally. :sick:

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
NerdFitness Profile

• Taijibum
  • Jedi Wannabe

Its daily with the weather here. I started barefoot in the high 50's and now stopped because its down in the 30's. I think it will be in the 50's again today but I think I will stick to minimalist shoes until it gets warmer. There was still some ice last time I ran and when by feet hit it, the ice felt like fire. I put my shoes back on after that. I have only gone 3 miles barefoot this year. Last year I did 6 miles. I am training to do a 100 mile ultra barefoot.

Good luck with the barefoot 100 mile ultra!

I got myself a pair of minimalist shoes last year and I really enjoyed the experience. Now I’m in the slow process of substituting all my “summer” shoes to minimalist shoes.

NerdFitness Profile

• Thank you received: 1898

Jax replied the topic: Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

Do you think you'll ever do the 100 miler in Colorado? I'm not sure how far it is from Denver, but I saw it in the Colorado tourism catalog the other night which reminded me. :-)

• Taijibum
  • Jedi Wannabe

Jax, that one is called the Hard Rock and it is on my list. It is a long way from Denver. I called a cousin about sleeping on his couch for a week to acclimate to the elevation and he said it was a couple hundred miles away from Denver.

Did you know a guy named Dean Karnazes ran 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states? A lot of ultra runners will also run a hundred mile race two weekends in a row. The average age of the Badwater 135 mile Ultramarathon through Death Vally and up Mt McKinley is 46 years old. He also ran a 250 mile relay race solo and even beat some other teams. I believe the body is just like the mind, there is no limit to what it can do with proper training a faith in yourself.

• Thank you received: 1898

Jax replied the topic: Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

I'm still building back up to running, period. I'm not even worrying about ultras, or marathons. Though ultras sound more fun than marathons since they aren't run on roads. lol

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds