Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

• Taijibum
  • Taijibum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Jedi Wannabe
  • Thank you received: 81

Taijibum replied the topic: Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

"Training to become a Jedi is not an easy challenge, and even if you succeed, it's a hard life." -Qui-gon Jin :meditate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1489

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

I'm wondering if You, Taijibum, had ever heard of the West Highland Race?
When I read about your plan to do a 100 miler, it immediately reminded me on that!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Taijibum
  • Jedi Wannabe

No, but I googled it and it looks fun. You need 2 crew people so that must hurt a lot of runners who can afford to get there but cant afford the added expense of 2 other people. I am doing the Indiana Trail 100 to qualify for the Western States 100 and I am also now thinking of the Badwater 135 run through Death Valley and up a mountain. I'm in college so my big events need to be timed according to my classes.

• Taijibum
  • Jedi Wannabe

6 miles of going through the motions. I tripped in the first quarter mile but did a perfect combat roll and kept running. It was cold and snowing and I was miserable. I came to the conclusion I love to run more than I hate the cold.

• Thank you received: 1900

Jax replied the topic: Journal of a Jedi Wannabe- by Taijibum

Nice!

• Taijibum
  • Jedi Wannabe

Been doing some research into neuroscience and meditation. Apparently, it only takes 8 weeks of meditation (I think 20min/day) to change the brain structure. The changes occur in the left frontal cortex in the region of executive function. This whole region becomes larger and is also associated with greater compassion and altruistic feelings. Yes, thats measurable with an fMRI. Big research is being done these days into meditation, enlightenment and other things once thought the ethereal domain of the spiritual but now measured with PET scans and fMRI's. This is an exciting time. I just read a study of Tibetan monks getting put in the fMRI. Wicked!!!!

And we're still at the beginning of understanding and imaging the brain. How much more will we learn in our lifetime? :-D

• Taijibum
  • Jedi Wannabe

I just found another Iaido school. This one purports to teach just basic Toyama Ryu which is exactly what I want. I hope it turns out good. The first class is Tuesday night. Slowly increasing my miles with running, too. Last year during the winter my goal was to not lose my fitness level. This winter I want to improve it since I have the Indiana Trail 100 mile ultra marathon in April.

On a sucky note, my car overheated yesterday. I need to take it in to see whats wrong. I have been out of work since Feb. and I started school in Sept. I am broke. I haven't been broke in over 20 years. As long as school is taken care of I dont really care. I'll take a bus to school if I have to. I've gotten one grade back so far and it's an A in Psychology.

2013 Goals-
1- Green Belt in Iaido.
2- Maintain full-time as a student with A's & B's.
3- Finish IT 100 mile ultra.
4- Finish Woodstock 100 mile ultra barefoot.

Goals are pretty simple this year.

That reminds me, I need to do a radiator flush (among other fluids...). I hope it's a simple fix. It might just need a flush, which while not super cheap is better than replacing parts. If you lived closer to my family I'd ask them to hook you up. Hell, if I were closer to home they could hook me up! lol Maybe you have mechanically inclined friends?

• Taijibum
  • Jedi Wannabe

I have family who are mechanically inclined. That gene skipped me. I need to go run. I don't want to. Its cold out there....

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds