Ying gu's Training Journal

• Thank you received: 8

Ying replied the topic: Re: Ying gu's Training Journal

Not a problem Jax :) I'll do so now. :)

Live, Laugh and love in this moment. That is the Way :)
~ See the Reality

Is it life that forsakes you, or you that forsakes life. Live for the sake of life, and you will realise there is no difference.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just after I finished posting my last response to this thread, which was about 30 seconds or so ago, I experienced a very deep peace and stillness, my mind when quiet and when I looked at the things around me they seemed, well, irallevent compared to the stillness I could feel within. I am still in this state now, at a relative level anyway :)

~ See the Reality

Is it life that forsakes you, or you that forsakes life. Live for the sake of life, and you will realise there is no difference.

HmmHmm, I haven't been in here a while now. I actually lost track of my training, hahahahha! Anyways....

I have found I really dont like sitting meditations. They cause me pain because I have poor posture and a dont like sitting still now. I am trying to find a Tai Chi near me. I would LOVE to do Tai Chi!

Thats all for now, I gotta get back to stuff in other areas of reality :)

~ See the Reality

• Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Ying gu's Training Journal

May I ask how you sit for meditation?  Sometimes small adjustments can help your posture and make sitting easier.  Are you sitting on anything?  Are you crossing your legs?  If so, how are you crossing them?

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Thank you received: 1886

Jax replied the topic: Re: Ying gu's Training Journal

We address the position issue in the meditation course. Sitting isn't critical. Lie down - just don't let yourself fall asleep. lol That's what I do most of the time. I also sit on a cushion, with my back against something. Or in a chair. Experiment. And see if Jeremy can't help you as well. ;-)

• Thank you received: 76

Beral Khan replied the topic: Re: Ying gu's Training Journal

Last year, I worked at a place that had a pond in back with a walking trail around it. I would do the breathing and Code meditation as I walked around the trail.  I found it to be both relaxing and meditative.  As sitting causes you discomfort and the idea of movement appeals to you, have you considered going for a walk around your block doing the breathing and meditating on the code with each breath?

I used to trust my force of Will.
Now I trust in the will of the Force.

Jedi Communication? Well its removing assumptions, questioning the absolutes, and asking for clarity of statements.

I usually sit, and I try not to have anything support my back so that if I want to meditate sometime later on in life when I go out into the wild, I can meditate freely wherever I am without the need to support my back. While sitting, I usually kneel in Seiza with my feet crossed over each other; or, when not kneeling I cross my legs; or, I sit with my legs crossed and my right foot on my left thigh. My right leg usually becomes numb though, and my back usually tightens and strains either up top or down in my lower back, pending the posture.

I have to go for now, See you all later.

~ See the Reality

• Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Ying gu's Training Journal

The numbness is just something you have to get used to.  Over time you will be able to sit longer and longer.  The back strain is an indication that your posture is not good.  One of the most common problems for people doing sitting meditation is their hip position.  We tend to sit with our feet under our knees because it is easier, but having your knees raised above your hips rotates your hips and puts a lot of strain on your back.

Seiza automatically puts your knees below your hips, but puts a lot of strain on your knees.  Many people that are still getting their knees used to seiza lean forward to take the pressure off their knees and feet, but leaning forward puts strain on the back.

There's a reason that full lotus (each foot on top of the opposite knee) is the traditional meditation pose.  When the feet are under the knees they push the knees up above the hips.  When the feet are above the knees they push the knees down below the hips.  However, full lotus takes a certain flexibility that most people don't have when they start meditation.  Half lotus is with one foot on top of the opposite knee and the other foot in front of the other knee - it's a good way to work your way into full lotus.  You can also do a position with one foot tucked in close to the groin and the other laid in front of that leg, though sometimes this still lets the knees float up a little.

Whatever position you choose, you might want to sit on something.  By having your bottom raised, it's easy to have your hips higher than your knees in any position.  A stiff pillow or even a small step stool can sometimes work.  If it's important to you to learn to meditate sitting when there is NOTHING available to help, then you need to start working towards full lotus.  But since you can almost always find something to sit on, it's OK to get used to sitting on something to raise your hips.

Let me know how this works for you.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Thank you for the insight Zen-ryo :) I will do my best to first sit in half lotus while sitting on something to support my lower back and to allow my knees to be lower than my hip, so as not to strain my back.

I will let you all know how it goes in the next week or so :) Responsibilities are demanding so I dont get all the time in the world to be on here. 

~ See the Reality

• Thank you received: 1886

Jax replied the topic: Re: Ying gu's Training Journal

You can always lie down. There's no requirement to sit. Just make sure to have good posture while lying down as well. 

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds