Connor's Journal

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 529

Connor replied the topic: Re: Riddle's Repository of Recollection

Absolutely. I think so. I will definitely try looking at different perspectives.

Update: This week has been full of art and creativity for me. :) I have started a daily poem journal that I handwrite. It lets me get out anger in a creative and private way. I have found myself with a lighter heart when I let anger pour out in a semi-positive way. I think this is important. I wonder if people think they can dissolve their anger into thin air...

I have learned that this is not possible, and that anger will always be there to be dealt with. But, you have to deal with it before it will move on. What do you think?

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I recently finished Angels in America, an amazing epic play by Tony Kushner. It outlines gay stereotypes in American politics and the messed up medicinal treatment of homosexuals during the outbreak of AIDS.It also tackles gay themes on dealing with religion and relationships (coming to terms with).

I highly recommend it! There is a wonderful part of it, where one of the gay men is visited by an Angel and told that he is a prophet. The man dying of AIDS refuses this. He has been left by his lover in a time of great need, and he is sick, and he has nothing left for which to live. And, the prophecy that he is supposed to deliver is that God left humans in 1906. He just packed up. He left because humans chose to move forward and invent and fight and take each other over. Capitalism probably was the worst of these 'anti'-divine thoughts.

I want to know: Do you think, in humanity's folly, that if God does turn his back on us, should we fix it? The prophet's reaction? He says, and I quote, "If He ever did come back, if He ever dared to show his face, or his Glyph or whatever in the Garden again... if after all this destruction, if after all the terrible days of this terrible century He returned to see... how much suffering His abandonment has created, if all He has to offer is death, you should SUE the bastard. That's my only contribution to all this Theology. Sue the bastard for walking out. How dare he."

FIRST: Make no mistake. I am opening a can of worms to a very sensitive subject. I am ALSO not saying I share these beliefs. I am just saying for "argument's" sake: What does God's abandonment mean if it ever happened or HAS happened?

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1826

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Riddle's Repository of Recollection

Kushner may make poetry (“his desire made prayer, his prayer made an angel, the angel was real”) and he may make jokes (“like a sex scene in an Ayn Rand novel”), but he is also making points: There’s no stopping the fast-forward of modernity, no turning back, and no one to wait for.

If Angels valorizes gay men who decided not to die secret deaths anymore in the Ronald Reagan plague years, it is as well an exalted dialectic of longing and dreaming, of the past we can’t get back to and the future we can’t see. Plus, I suppose, a gloss on Pascal: Maybe He is lost, maybe abducted, or maybe absconded, but God is certainly gone. And should He happen to return, well then, as Prior Walter instructs the Angel, “Sue the bastard!”

Remember, this is a novel not a commentary on reality as we know it. I mean, heaven looks like San Francisco after the 1906 earthquake? (The supposed year God 'went away'...) It is interesting to see someone bring up a rift on Pascal's wager on God but... there would be many other ways to poke a stick at it I would think.

In the seventeenth century the mathematician Blaise Pascal formulated his infamous pragmatic argument for belief in God in Pensées. The argument runs as follows:

If you erroneously believe in God, you lose nothing (assuming that death is the absolute end), whereas if you correctly believe in God, you gain everything (eternal bliss). But if you correctly disbelieve in God, you gain nothing (death ends all), whereas if you erroneously disbelieve in God, you lose everything (eternal damnation).

Regardless of any evidence for or against the existence of God, Pascal argued that failure to accept God's existence risks losing everything with no payoff on any count. The best bet, then, is to accept the existence of God.

There have been several objections to the wager: that a person cannot simply will himself to believe something that is evidently false to him; that the wager would apply as much to belief in the wrong God as it would to disbelief in all gods, leaving the the believer in any particular god in the same situation as the atheist or agnostic; that God would not reward belief in him based solely on hedging one's bets; and so on.

Great mental gymnastics for philosophers, theologians, and those who want to mess with your head.

Abandonment -- If you go the Biblical route, there are things to consider...

Judges 6:13

"Lord, there are times when it is difficult to continue believing. When the signs seem to point to defeat and the confidence of the opposition is at an all time high, my faith can dissipate like the morning dew. Teach me to remain steadfast even when I don’t hear Your voice or see Your hand. Give me the courage to believe You no matter what others say or my circumstances might indicate."

When Gideon encountered the angel of the Lord he was told, “The Lord is with you, O valiant warrior” (Judges 6:12). He responded with several questions -- first, he asks, “O my lord, if the Lord is with us, why then has all this happened to us?”, which was a direct reference to the current Midianite oppression. Secondly, Gideon asks, “And where are all His miracles which our fathers told us about, saying, ‘Did not the Lord bring us up from Egypt?’”.

Different times but still valid questions with or without a 'war'. One of the hazards one who follows the biblical faith can encounter on the road to fulfillment is a feeling of abandonment by God. The big thing to keep in mind is -- this is a perception and not reality, our perceptions can override reality.

There is a whole range of verses and quotes one could toss out to show how, even at the worst of times, faith and Faith, make a difference and that the biblical God is still there -- even when we don't 'see it'. Again, perception versus the reality.

Here in the IJRS, we touch on working to 'see' the reality of things versus stumbling along only embracing the perception of 'what is' or 'what can be'. IF heaven IS a messed up shambles ala San Fran from 1906 then, I'm glad I have mad, creative concepts on home architecture and design -- I'll make a mint beyond the pearly gates!

• Thank you received: 1840

Jax replied the topic: Re: Riddle's Repository of Recollection

It's not something I can wrap my mind around because it's a complete myth. The issue is a question instead of why people cut themselves off from divinity.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

anotherweightlossblogger.tumblr.com/

I have made my Trial of Body weight loss blog page.

You can check it out, or not. But, it's mostly just up for the public to the Jedi peeps can have a full record of what I'm about to do.

My spiritual blog is here:

empyrealoasis.wordpress.com I hope you check that out as well.

Also, as for a training update: I am currently just trying to get back in the swing of things and focus on the present. My impending trials in the next couple of years is starting to loom over my head. I'm behind on my schedule, and I need to pick the pace back up. I won't give up, though.

Things have started to go my way again. I need to hop on that train before it gets too late.

• Thank you received: 1840

Jax replied the topic: Re: Riddle's Repository of Recollection

The schedule is arbitrary, don't let it stress you out. You're doing very well, and your training will accelerate. Don't worry.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Thank you.

Also, added an official meditation blog: empyrealoasis.tumblr.com/

I will always post on HERE when these blogs are updated, so people can go check them out at their leisure. :)

Also, in two to three minutes, my post-workout post will be posted. hehe

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

1. Physical fitness blog updated: anotherweightlossblogger.tumblr.com/

2. Meditation: Updated for today: empyrealoasis.tumblr.com/

Today, I had to dance with a partner. If you've never done this before, I suggest it. I have danced with a partner a lot, and it takes a degree of communication. My goal was to make her look good. We waltzed and we had specific choreography, so I led her. We communicated through our eyes. I think that's the most important thing. Our eyes spoke, and we didn't have to use words. I actually told her I was older than I was so she would feel more comfortable dancing with me (as she was around 26). Her audition depended on mine, so I gave it my best.

I succeeded.

• Thank you received: 3

MJ Hannigan replied the topic: Re: Riddle's Repository of Recollection

I do not know if IJRS is currently offering a Reiki Program but if so I am sure the programs will work together with each other. Make sure you get some reading done by Sunday!!!!

May the force guide you on your path and give you the strength for what lays ahead.

M.J. Hannigan

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Jedi Healer
  • Thank you received: 452

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re: Riddle's Repository of Recollection

Riddle..don't focus too much on your trials. Our whole life is a trial. We stop learning once we are dead ;-) From what I see on Facebook, here and elsewhere you are definitely growing a lot! Just keep up the hard work and don't by pass me too much hahahaha, just playing! :P

"...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt
[/table]

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds