Connor's Journal

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 524

Connor replied the topic: Re: Riddle's Repository of Recollection

I like this too - you can see the person behind the words! 

***RiddleNox - are you suggesting more of us use video to increase the "realism" and interractivity in the Jedi Community?  If so - then I wholeheartedly agree.

Nice idea!

Absolutely, Asta. I completely agree. Use the video and it's just ANOTHER method of communication for us. The more we can have, the better. Tonight's video is gonna be 5 minutes personal and 5 minutes talking about a Jedi subject. Good balance. Not too long for people to watch in a sitting, and not short enough that you couldn't watch 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there.

I will be posting it either EARLLLYYY Saturday morning (at like 2) or late Saturday. I am going to try and edit the video this time and make it higher quality as well instead of JUST a webcam straight. Maybe some pictures, I dunno. We'll see.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1762

Jax replied the topic: Re: Riddle's Repository of Recollection

I'm a fan of short. Too many podcasts are too long for my schedule. Yet I also recognize they are often too short for the topic of the day. It's a conundrum. lol But especially when it comes to videos, short is good. It makes it easy for me to sneak in while I'm at work for instance. 

I don't think I've ever heard you sing, or seen you mention what you sing, so I had no idea. It's just unexpected because you look too young to be a baritone (though obviously that doesn't matter). Some day I'm going to pick your brain about singing. Just a warning. ;-)

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Yeah. I agree. There might a segment every once in a while where I make an "extended" video if I am tackling a topic like that.

And, about the picking, I'll be ready. hhaha

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

vimeo.com/30250264

Jedi Log 2!!

• Thank you received: 3

Otherone replied the topic: Re: Riddle's Repository of Recollection

HAHAH "CIRCLE OF LIFE!!!!" that part made me laugh

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

vimeo.com/30579696

JEDI LOG 3. WHEEEEEE.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Hey gang!

This month, we are going to continue to look at the Aesop stories in relation to the Path. The one we are going to delve into this time is “The Shipwrecked Imposter”.

The Shipwrecked Impostor    The shipwrecked Chimpanzee had been clinging for a long time to a slender spar, when a Dolphin came up and offered to carry him ashore. This kind proposition was immediately accepted, and, as they moved along, the Chimp commenced to tell the Fish many marvelous tales, every one of them a bundle of falsehoods. “Well, well, you are indeed an educated chap,” said the Dolphin in admiration. “My schooling has been sadly neglected, as I went to sea when but a week old.” Just then they entered a large bay, and the Dolphin, referring to it, said, “I suppose you know Herring Roads?” The chimp, taking this for the name of a fellow, and not wishing to appear ignorant, replied: “Do I know Rhodes? Well, I should almost think so! He’s an old college chum of mine, and related to our family by-” This was too much for the Dolphin, who immediately made a great leap, and then diving quickly, left the impostor in the air for an instant before he splashed back and disappeared.    “A liar deceives no one but himself.” (1.)

That’s one of my favorites. It tackles a moral issue that is not often discussed and is pretty taboo in normal Jedi circles. Honesty is a hard thing. Jedi have lied. Sith have told the truth. But, at the same time, the Sith deceive and the Jedi bring to light. And, what’s scary… they each do the same. Yoda keeps information to himself, Palpy has no problem telling someone “how it is”. This means that honesty is not a Jedi versus Sith issue. It is a people issue. So, in order to define how to lie, we must first realize the consequences that go along with deception. I had an interesting time looking up the consequences of lying. So, I will draw on what I found and from personal experience. I was doing some research on the placebo effect, the idea that your body will react by pure knowledge (even if it does not actually undergo a physical change). (2.) And, more scientifically, it is the use of inert medication that actually produces results. I found that if the body was not aware it was being deceived, the mere belief it worked had a hand in the healing process. This might explain the hundreds of years that primitive species used spells and worshiped the gods for health and prosperity. In those simpler times, they had less to go off of. They didn’t have medicine at all. So, this is kind of a placebo. Witch doctors said an incantation over a patient, and the patient had nothing else to believe but that he/she would get better. Lo and behold, sometimes it would work! And, the medicine man was heralded as a hero because he, too, believed in his magic. I don’t know how much of this is accurate, seeing as I do believe in Magick and everything else, but at the same time… it does bring up an interesting question. Does benevolence, defined as good wishing on the world, have some sort of ground? Does positive thinking, even if it isn’t real and it is based on deception, have some sort of physical grounding? This is where Absolute truth and Subjective reality comes in. We have to make a choice: Do we believe that placebo deception is not real and it is just talk. Or, is talk real? Can we invent our own reality from perspective and experience? Is it subjective? That’s where the ideology of lying comes in. Deception that is helpful is still deception. I believe, personally, that we DO create our own realities. I can use somebody else’s lack of experience to help them. I can heal someone by making them believe I know what I am doing. They feel comfortable and trusting, and their body is more ready to receive positive energy. Talk is very real. It is a way of introducing yourself and your reality into the world. Each person buys in to this Absolute Reality. And, sure, in that case, there IS an absolute reality. However, it does not exist if we each put in our own Subjective truths and experiences. Facts DO happen, but the only way they are proven is if they are measured against what we know or don’t know.

So, when ignorance comes into play, there are pieces from the Absolute Truth that are kept from us. Deception can be good or bad, depending on how you use it. This is where it begins to relate to the Path (year, 820 words into the article… haha). Funny, I was reading an article about the consequences of lying in relationships (4.), and I discovered that Jerry (from the article) believes it is ok to lie to your partner to protect them. And, he puts this under the motivation category. We define how we use Deception, for the path, by what makes us want to deceive. The “why” behind the deception is really what the Aesop story is about. Lying is not even the goal. If you look back at the Placebo article, you will find sections on the ethics of deceiving people in order to heal them. They had a reason for deceiving the people, and it was justified by helping them get well and healthy. This is ok, in my opinion. However, there is a problem with deception: it causes us to lose trust when those whom we deceive find out. (3.) This should play into your decision to lie, and it should also play into your decision to keep the lie going.

Here is where the real meat and potatoes factor comes into play. In the story, the chimp is grateful for the help; however, he also has a pretty good ego. He believes that because the dolphin does not know about the chimp’s life, that he can spew out anything he wants and it will be alright. The chimp has a real chance to impress somebody. Unfortunately, his stories were so out there that the dolphin had no trouble in discerning the chimp’s true intentions. And, even with no schooling, the deception was easily found out. What lessons do Jedi and Ashla people learn from this? My belief is that it is related to the ideology of intention. When we try to impress people with lies, we become arrogant. The selfish nature of our actions falsely gives US a sense of accomplishment. Funny how that works. We really only hurt ourselves. It should be a Jedi tenant not to be arrogant. It is not becoming and is not based on any sort of ground. I think this is where the line of absolute truth and subjective reality really falls in favor of subjectivity. If somebody else’s experience conflicts with yours, there is a problem. When you use “truth”, in the common sense of the term, you are matching subjective realities with one another because they do not conflict. This is important, I feel. We need to take a step back and realize that in order to be arrogant, we need to stop deceiving ourselves. It is the greatest crime. When we lie to ourselves, we immediately lose faith in our actions. We are creating a new Universe that doesn’t really exist. And, this seems like it is the same “contrived” universe that healed the patients by the hands of a Medicine Man; however, there is one key difference. This difference is that when we are deceiving ourselves, we are stepping into dangerous places. We are destroying our perspective when we start letting ourselves into the world of our own creation. This perspective is false, and will eventually lead to our demise. Just like the chimps.

So remember, when dealing with deception, think about the means. Think about the way you go about it. And, think about what would happen if you start believing in your own deception.

All three of these gone unchecked could bring about your downfall. J Have fun!

With peace,

Morivou

Source – 1. www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?sel&TheShipwreckedImpostor

2. Miller FG, Wendler D, Swartzman LC (2005) Deception in Research on the Placebo Effect. PLoS Med 2(9): e262. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0020262

3. www.truthaboutdeception.com/lying-and-deception/detecting-deception/consequences.html

4. jerryjrelationshipcoach.com/Test/wp/blog/?p=107

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Connor Lidell.
Ashla Apprentice Morivou
Ashla Assignment 4
Using either a personal experience or a worldly example, describe in detail the difference between an “inconvenient truth” and a “comfortable lie”.

This particular question has been rattling my brain for weeks (months?) now. However, I think I have come up with some kind of response. Originally, I had issue with actually what the question was asking. I asked a close mentor to help me out with where to start, and she told me to simply break down the terminology. Here’s how I did that: I defined “Inconvenient” as “not the easiest solution, requiring someone to get out of their comfort zone in order to achieve some sort of change or goal”. I defined it based on context, of course. Well, then I defined “Comfortable” as “easy solution (not necessarily right), not requiring leaving the comfort zone”.  Then I defined “truth” as “fact; reality” and lie as “not fact, opinion, deterrence from reality”. And, here’s how I qualify truth versus subjectivity. I believe in subjectivity, but I also believe in conflict of said Subjective Reality. When your facts are in harmony with somebody else’s facts and there is no disputing, this is truth. I see that glaciers are melting; somebody else sees that glaciers are melting; so, the glaciers are melting.  Putting this all together, I was able to answer the question. An inconvenient truth is something that is reality (subjectivity in harmony). It is the way things really are; however, we accept that this reality will require sacrifice and for us to change in order to adapt to this truth. In that way, we do not fool ourselves. An inconvenient truth requires confrontation. It demands that we find the source of a problem. Then, from the inside out, we can adapt and change to meet its needs. A comfortable lie, on the other hand, is something that is not true from a harmonic reality standpoint. It is a type of reality we create in order that we do not change. We do not have to worry about Harmonic Reality if we can convince ourselves that it isn’t true. If we take a situation and twist it to where we stay in our comfort zones (our own contradictory reality), there is no more harmony; it is purely our invention.

Now, this requires the thought that there is some kind of truth. I don’t know if this essay is the best place to address that; however, I think I should at least define it so that there is a frame of reference for whenever I refer to the term. I believe that truth is a state of being. I identify being hungry by calling it “hunger”. We prescribe arbitrary terms to things so that we create concrete existence. So, truth is this “imaginary” concrete sense of identification. Funny, enough, other people will define these truths the same way. We take these ideals and match them with everybody else’s. This further qualifies Harmonic Reality, as I like to call it. But, enough about that! First of all, I would like to talk about the most obvious truth/lie controversy out there: Global Warming. It is cliché; however, I feel it is the most relatable example to a general world.

Take the idea that the world’s temperature is rising, steadily. I lived in Texas. I know my summers were hotter and my winters were cooler. We did not have a day under one-hundered degrees Fahrenheit most of the summer. I can feel Global Warming whether it is actually happening or not. So, by my definition, Global Warming exists. I have seen graphs. I have seen the charts and everything else. So, now is when the people of the world have to make choices. We can believe that the world’s temperature is rising, just like the graphs say. If we choose that option, that is pretty inconvenient. It means we have to move away from the equator, or it means we have to start conserving the world’s valuable resources. How inconvenient is that? There are no other options. If the world chooses not to recognize this problem, then we are stuck in our own genocide. If we remain comfortable in our own lie, someday it will come back to hurt us. Inconvenience with truth is a compromise we must make with reality. We have to step back and go: Ok, look. This is how it is. How can I adapt? On the flipside, choosing to ignore these problems allows us to keep our current lifestyles and not recognize it as a pertinent issue. The longer we wait, though, the harder it will be to clean up. The harder it will be to clean up, the less we will want to do it.

This leads me to my next example. It is the message of a movie: Wall-E. If you have not experienced this movie, then you are missing out on one of the most powerful statements on humanity I have ever seen. The basic premise of this movie is that apathy to our condition will just keep us heading in a fatal direction. The human race is building up on trash (waste), and the people than can afford to eat are eating too much. We are getting fatter as a race, and if we do not stop, we will eventually be immobile. The Earth will become uninhabitable from all our trash and we will fail as a civilization. This is a pretty inconvenient truth. In addition, we can subscribe to the comfortable lie we believe in right now: “the world will be ok… as long as I am alive”. Here is what I fear. I am afraid that the time where Earth will fall apart is a lot sooner than people think. In some respects, it has already started happening. We refuse to recognize it as a real problem. Wall-E lets us know that there is an issue at hand; but the movie was released a while ago. Do you think there has been much change? I don’t. I have not changed much. I do recycle now. I could do better. This is where I have to face my own uncomfortable truths.

Facing my truths is much like facing my fears. They are usually one and the same. Funny how that is. Truth is generally something of which we are afraid. It is also something, consequently, from which we hide. Harmonic Reality is how I define truth. When I was in high school, my junior year, I made a very stupid choice that ruined the whole summer before my senior year. School was stressing me out because I was getting C’s in Advanced Placement English Language and Composition. I also had a girlfriend (a rare thing for me, but time consuming when it comes around. I am not going to complain about that, though.) It was difficult enough to keep my priorities straight. On top of everything, though, I was a lead role in the school’s musical and I had two other very difficult AP classes. You can guess what happened. I started cheating. As time went on, I became surer of myself, and I became arrogant. I eventually coerced the head of the National Honor Society and another high-ranking friend of mine into helping me steal a very important test. Of course, we were caught this time. I, however, was not going to allow that to change me. I refused to the see the truth of my situation. Afterword, I had to face the uncomfortable truths of my schooling. My parents did not trust me. My friends did not trust me. Harmonic Reality was greatly skewed. My subjectivity remained that I was innocent. It was just in my nature, my circumstance; however, everybody had a different view of me. Their subjectivity told them that I was a bad seed. Everything I had ever done was a lie. This is a major problem for me, of course, because I refused to see that. Once I accepted that I had done something wrong, though, I was able to climb out of my delusion and enter into a true Harmonic State. I fought my comfortable lie and changed myself. Now, I am a Jedi. I have moral standards. I fight cheating. I do not even have that desire anymore. This is the way of things. Life is ever changing, and in order for use to combat our uncomfortable truths, we have to meet them head on. Usually, they are not brought to light until it is too late. We make a lot of mistakes; however, only by not succumbing to circumstance and negative subjectivity can we take a positive approach to life and make constant uphill progress toward our goals.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

ALSO, I have a fun experience to share.

A few days ago, I had a very interesting encounter with "happenstance" Force connection. (which, is when my subjective reality, in harmony with somebody else's, combines and creates an event out of both of our controls yet prescribed by each individual)

I would have dismissed this, but it happened three times that day. This was the same day Jax had her weird, bad day with a lot of positive insights.

I was in the bathroom, and I was singing. And, suddenly, and I mean SUDDENLY. I had this urge to go outside of the bathroom. Like, I literally had to stop singing and leave. It was weird. I know it wasn't out of my control, but it felt like it. The moment I stepped outside, I knew I was looking for somebody. And, this girl who had been looking for me because she owed me money came right around the corner. She said she had heard me singing and was walking around trying to find where it came from. But, interesting part is that I found her because I felt pulled to do so, even though I didn't know what I was looking for.

This is called: listening to my intuition... And, I feel like this is one of the first times this has REALLY happened to me in a concrete way. I feel like this is a result of me meditating on the Force a lot and seeking help from my Guardian Angel and Spirit Guide more.

In addition, I was able to predict actions I would take in the future. I knew I would do a bad job at masterclass that night, even though everybody told me I would be fine. It's weird how I knew. It wasn't that I was being pessimistic, I was just being realistic. I somehow was aware that my soul contract did not allow me to be the best at the class for some reason unbeknownst to me. Even though, when I got there, I did my best. I just got phlem in me and just a lot of stuff out of my control.

It happened another time, but I don't wanna talk about that one right now. However, I just wanted to update by saying: I am getting closer to being in tune with the Force and other realms. I'm very excited about this.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds