Ahote's Training Journal

• Thank you received: 0

Ahote created the topic: Ahote's Training Journal

Jax suggested that I keep a journal of my personal daily training.  So, here goes.

This may get sorta boring, as my days are all very similar.  I will try to keep it entertaining.

There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

Learn as if you're going to live forever, live as if you're going to die tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ahote replied the topic: Re: Ahote's Training Journal

I started a regular exercise regimen 6 weeks ago.  Yesterday marked the beginning of my seventh week.  The schedule is as follows.

Monday - Lower body
Tuesday - Upper body and Abs
Wednesday - Cardio
Thursday - Lower body
Friday - Upper body and Abs
Saturday - Cardio

For right now, I am performing the same routines twice a week.  As I become more confident in my ability to stick with this, I may experiment more.  Also, After we return from our vacation in September (Disney World!), I am going to enroll in aikido classes, and will have to adjust my schedule accordingly.

For upper and lower body work, I am using kettlebells.  This is a Russian weight that basically resembles a cannonball with a suitcase handle on it.  The work you muscles so much differently that traditional barbells.  Much more effectively, allowing for shorter workouts.  I follow routines laid out in a video series called "Extreme Kettlebells", by Steve Cotter.  Very low budget production, and easy to follow.

My lower body routine consists of 3 sets of the following exercises:
Front Squats - 10 reps
Good Mornings - 10 reps
One Legged Dead Lift - 5 reps each leg
One Legged Box Squats - 5 reps each leg
Racked Lunge - 5 reps each leg
Jump Squats - 10 reps
Swings - 5 reps

The upper body routine consists of 3 sets of the following exercises:
Floor press - 10 reps
Row - 5 reps per arm
Alternating military press - 5 reps per arm
Bottoms up clean - 5 reps per arm
Seated one armed snatch - 5 reps per arm
Seated one arm clean - 5 reps per arm
Swings - 5 reps
Lying Pull Over - 10 reps

For my ab routine, I follow along with Ab Ripper X from the P90x series.  Roughly 300 ab and core moves.  Ouch.

For cardio, I follow Pure Cardio from the Insanity series.  Its just over 30 minutes, but it is quite intense. 

Learn as if you're going to live forever, live as if you're going to die tomorrow.

I started the kettlebell routines with a 25 lb kettlebell.  Literature suggested that men should start with a 35 lb, but I hadn't exercised in a while, and I didn't feel I had anything to prove.  I'm glad I didn't follow their advice.

Initially, the routines were difficult, especially the upper body.  Weeks 3-4 were better, and by weeks 5-6, it was getting quite easy.  So, yesterday I started with a 35 lb kettlebell.  Oh man, the difficulty went through the roof.  It was week 1 all over again.  I powered through the workouts to the best of my ability though.  I gained mental strength from the knowledge that it was very difficult when I first started, and by sticking with it, it got much easier.  But man, is that 10 lbs a huge difference!

I am also very strict about what I eat.  Monday thru Saturday, my breakfast and lunch are the same:

Breakfast:
1 banana
1 Tbsp Almond butter with toasted flax seeds (I will seriously never eat regular peanut butter again)
16 oz water
1 scoop whey protein powder

Lunch:
16 oz water
1 apple (preferably a Pink Lady)

Dinner varies, always meat and veggies, or beans and greens.

Sunday is a free day.  I don't limit myself, but still eat smart.

I have been doing this for about 8 weeks now.

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Re: Ahote's Training Journal

Good job! I haven't tried almond butter but I eat pure organic peanut butter - nothing in it but peanuts. Then I put raw unfiltered honey on it and that's my breakfast sandwich. I prefer peanut to almond so I probably won't switch. And the honey is better for me than jelly.  :-)  I question the wisdom of eating just an apple for lunch though. If you're exerting yourself consistently the your body needs fuel to rebuild from the workouts.  In the end you have to trust your instinct but I wonder what your philosophy is to your diet.  Care to share? Perhaps it's something I don't know about.

Peanut butter and honey is scrumptious!  I like almonds though, and it's a good fat to have at the beginning of the day. 

As far as my diet, I based it in theory from a book by a guy named Ori Hofmekler. Its called 'The Warrior Diet'.  It's based on the idea that man is conditioned naturally to eat a large meal in the evening, and eat very little during the day.  The day is spent hunting your evening meal, so you eat a little food you carry, or can forage along the way.  Then, you capture your dinner (for me this is replaced by my evening workout), and you eat it.  When I read the book, it just made sense to me.  So, when I eat dinner at night, I eat quite a bit of food.

I don't have a scale, so I don't know what I actually weigh.  I feel lighter; faster throughout the day.  I really look forward to dinner too.  It helps me to enjoy it more.

I had a long day today.  Just as I was closing the store, A woman came in and wanted to order for 15 people.  She wanted to pick it up in an hour.  So, we prepared all of her food, cleaned up for the second time, and left almost 2 hours later than normal.  Kind of annoying, but overall not too big of a deal.

I still got in my evening workout.  Did the Insanity routine.  Always wears me out.  My shoulders and upper back are quite sore from the new heavier weight I used yesterday.  That really didn't help anything.

I got through it, practiced meditation with a mantra (I chose Jedi), and took a shower.  For dinner I had pinto beans over quinoa, and a side of mixed greens (spinach, kale, and mustard, I believe).  Very tasty.  If you've never tried quinoa, you really should.  Delicious.  I call this meal beans & greens.  lol

After that, I got sucked into Revenge of the Sith.  Spike is running all 6 films in order this week.  I wonder though, am I the only person who like this film the best of them all?  It truly is my favorite.

Quinoa is awesome. I'd eat grains like that all the time except my wife doesn't like them (texture issues) so I don't make them very often.  I think that's what I'm going to cook the rest of this week though (with other things of course).  She's going to be sleeping a lot so I'm cooking for me mostly while she lives on peanut butter. lol

The way diet is usually discussed is to eat progressively smaller meals as you go through the day.  That's when you need the energy so less gets stored as fat overnight.  But if you do a lot of activity in the evening perhaps that wisdom doesn't apply.  Why not try eating smaller meals at a shorter interval?  That should keep you feeling light.  Then again, as long as you aren't feeling weak or craving foods your diet is fine probably.  Just me thinking out loud. :-)

By the way, how do you season your quinoa?

Ivan Marko replied the topic: Re: Ahote's Training Journal

I started the kettlebell routines with a 25 lb kettlebell.  Literature suggested that men should start with a 35 lb, but I hadn't exercised in a while, and I didn't feel I had anything to prove.  I'm glad I didn't follow their advice.

Initially, the routines were difficult, especially the upper body.  Weeks 3-4 were better, and by weeks 5-6, it was getting quite easy.  So, yesterday I started with a 35 lb kettlebell.  Oh man, the difficulty went through the roof.  It was week 1 all over again.  I powered through the workouts to the best of my ability though.  I gained mental strength from the knowledge that it was very difficult when I first started, and by sticking with it, it got much easier.  But man, is that 10 lbs a huge difference!

I just love kettlebell.. they made me started. I did not want to join because I am kinda shy (was not fit at all) and have fear of those kind of execersise.... but once I tried it i just loved it. It is amazing how fast you develope. I love your coment how taking a larger kettlebell returns you to a begining. :) I just wish I can train it again....

IMT aka ZJ

@Jax I can relate to the wife not wanting to eat what you do.  I pretty much make two separate dinners every night, one for me and another for Jill.  She thinks I eat too healthy, lol.  She's still young though, so diet doesn't really mean much to her yet.

I usually cook my quinoa in organic vegetable broth, with garlic.  But, I put garlic in everything.  Tons of it.  If garlic really repels vampires, I have probably developed a natural immunity.  haha

I tried the eating small meals routine for a while.  It left me feeling hungry all of the time, and I overate.  I have an enormous appetite, and I love food.  Because of this, once I left the military and started hitting middle age, I developed the inevitable "spare tire".  It's almost gone, but it's a struggle to burn that fat.  I know that the diet I follow is different than what most recommend.  But, ever since I got used to it (which took about two weeks), I get hungry at roughly the same time every day, and what I eat keeps me feeling full.  I work at a relatively healthy eating establishment, so if I do need a bite, I can munch on raisins and sunflower seeds and cranberries and walnuts and other such goodies.

@zett.jukassa  I am loving the kettlebells myself!  For some reason I find that sticking to my workout is much easier since I switched to them.  I have already noticed huge improvements in my strength and endurance.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds