Yoshio's Training Diary

• Thank you received: 1829

Jax replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

Sounds complicated lol  I'm glad you had some productive training sessions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Johannes (Yoshio)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 1418

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

Its not only sounding complicated, it was complicate at that time. But, I guess, politics always are!?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-06-27
I was a bit sick at the beginning of the week. Because of that I stayed at home from work on Monday and wasn't at the Dojo neither on Monday nor on Wednesday. But from Tuesday on I was able to do at least my morning exercises including meditation and Qi-Gong work.
On Friday (2011-06-24) I got my new Iaito. I had ordered it already last year short before Christmas and it should have arrived at my place already at end of March. But anyway I did get it on that day and, what should I say, it was worth waiting for it! It is, more or less, costume made. I mean, the blade it self is a "standard" one but I had chosen for the hilt a black "Same" and a dark red "Tsuka Ito". Also the "Menuki" I had chosen with a cherry blossom design fitting the emblem of our Dojo. The manufacturer fitted all the other metal parts (Fuchi and Tsuka-Gashira/Fuchi-Gashira) on the hilt to the cherry blossom design. We haven't talked about that and so it was a nice surprise for me to see does parts matching the Menuki. The "Tsuba" is in the design of Miyamoto Musashi's sword.
The whole sword is pretty heavy or better said much heavier than my Bokken, quite obvious he! ;-) Out of curiosity, when I got it and hold it in my hands for the first time, I had to do some exercises. I did a couple of Suburi and the sound which the blade makes when it is "cutting" through the air is just amazing! After the Suburi I did the "Nagare no Kata" a couple of times. As I have, I think, described earlier, the Nagare no Kata is a Kata which the teacher of my teacher showed us for working with the sword. It starts with a single handed vertical downward draw/cut, followed by butting your other hand on the hilt as well and bringing your centre of gravity back in to Seigan no Kamae. Then you step with your rear leg forward, bringing it next to the front leg and standing in Shizen no Kamae, holding the sword in Tenchi. From this position you do a half step back and with the other one foot a half step forward, ending in Dai Jodan no Kamae. From this Kamae you perform a double handed downward cut and the ending the Kata with Chiburi – removing the blood from the blade – and Noto – bringing the blade back into the Saya.

2011-06-28
This Monday (2011-06-27) we had some people whom got tested for their next grad. They had all been quite good for the grade they got. Once again it showed me the good quality and the high standard we have in or Dojo.
After the testing we worked a bit on the Kata Musan from the Shindenfudo Ryu. This Kata is fairly easy to learn but you have to keep several points in mind as you can't do them in training. For example, the basic Kata ends with a technique with which you break the elbow of the attacker and by doing so smashing him to the ground in a way that he will most likely fall on his broken arm and break himself his shoulder as well. So this has to be adapted to a safe training and you have to simulate it, which makes it a bit difficult to keep the proper Kamae at the end and not changing the technique to something what was not meant to be.
The second technique we were dealing with was Take Ori. This technique is literally translated with "breaking the bamboo". Our teacher explained to us the differences in Ura and Omote technique and pointed out to us the important points. The main difference between them is that one time you hold the attackers hand with yours on the outside (Omote) and the other is by holding his hand on the inside (Ura). The Omote Take Ori is working in the way that you bend his wrist by pushing his hand back to the inside of his underarm. The Ura Take Ori is more or less the same but, as you are holding his hand on the inside, it is not so much the bending of his hand as it is that you cause pressure with the joint of your index finger to the inside of the attackers underarm.
At the end of the training we did some Iai practice. Our teacher was talking about the differences between drawing your sword and taking what ever kind of "ready" Kamae and the meaning behind Iai. In Iai you also draw your sword but with the intension to perform a cut which is meant to be the killing or finishing cut. So drawing and cutting are the same and that is everything what had to be done to finish a fight. In this manor the covering of the sword has to be performed in the same speed as the drawing and cutting. That's because it is needed for being able to start all over again.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-06-29
On Tuesday (2011-06-28) I had been to Kieser-Training after nearly a month again. I was a bit curious how things will be, especially as it was quite hot that day as well. But in the end everything was fine and I was able to do all the exercises for 90 sec. or 9 repetitions. Hopefully I can push myself now to do the training again more regular and maybe even two times a week. But we will see!? I will already be happy, if I can make it at least once a week to the training.

On Wednesday morning (2011-06-29) I did feel a bit tired. I don't mean mentally, as I had a good sleep during the night and even was waking up 15 min. earlier than my alarm would have rung, but more physically. I think the Kieser-Training the night before was harder than I thought it had been. I will see how I will feel tomorrow as this evening I'm looking forward to go to the martial art class.

This is not really related to my personal training but it is something I'm curious about! On the board of the European Jedi Order I read a post of Silmerion. She was pointing out to a post at the Jedi Resource Centre where they are talking about organising a Jedi Gathering in London. I posted there that I would be interested in joining them, if possible. Now I'm looking forward to get a fix date for it. Hopefully it will be feasible for me to join them as it would be the first Jedi Gathering I could attend!

2011-06-30
I had been to the Dojo on Wednesday (2011-06-29). We worked again on the Kata Musan and the two Henka of it. After a while or teacher separated the beginners from the more advanced so that we, the more advanced, train the Kata in a more realistic way. The main focus we had to put on the mindset that we do all technique for real, but, obviously, in a controlled way. That means that as attacker we had to really punch Tori. When he was not moving it was his problem and we had to show him his mistake by punching him a bit. The same was valid the other way round. As Uke we had to react according to the technique and what has been done to us. If not, Tori was allowed to perform the technique fully.
This kind of training produces a very intense experience as your mind is always in a state of high alert.
After the Kata our teacher used the principle of it to show us some other ways of using it together with different techniques. This was very interesting and a good experience to see how things are connected or working together.
In the sword training we started, as always, with some Suburi.
Then we did Iai exercises, first on your own and then together with a partner. With this exercises I noticed again the difference between drawing and cutting in an Iai manner and Nukigatana – drawing your sword and going into a position.
Later we did some Kata. The last one we did, I can't remember the name of it, was dealing with both sitting in Seiza and having their sword lying on the floor at their sides. This situation is a very close range and drawing the sword is a bit difficult. To unshed the sword you really have to pull the Saya backwards because there is no room for doing it the normal way in which you pull half the Saya back and half the sword forward. So you unshed the sword by pulling the Saya completely backwards and use the given space between you and your attacker for performing the cut. After that we did a Henka to it in which the attacker would also draw his sword and by doing so starting the action. To stop him, we did a kick to his drawing hand and "pinned" it with our food on the floor. Simultaneously you start your own drawing movement and after the kick, perform your own cut.

2011-07-04
On Friday (2011-07-01) I had to quite work a bit earlier as I got terrible head ache. I don't know why, but it seems to me that I got more sensitive to weather changes. I mean, I always had been weather sensitive which caused me "normal" head ache every time the weather got worse. Normally this had been about a day before the actual weather change. But now it is more like that I get head ache with the weather change and the head ache is more intense than it had been before. Also taking some "normal" head ache medicine doesn't help at all. I tried to use some meditation and energy work. This helped a bit and through that I got it down to an acceptable level of pain. But after I stopped to meditate the head ache returned quickly.
Now I know from my mother that she had sick headache when she was younger and because of that I'm a bit afraid of that this could be the case for me as well!?

Saturday (2011-07-02) was way better and so I was able to do my full weekend training in the morning. I started with some stretching exercises followed by my Qi-Gong exercises I do every morning.
After this I did, after a quite some time, the Tai Chi Chuan form again. I was quite happy as I was able to do it without any mistakes or stops. So my body still remember the form and the movements. Going through the form gave me a real good and up-lifting feeling.
Then I did some basic Bujinkan training. I started with making myself flexible in the Kamae and did some basic blocking drills. Especially for the blocking drills I tried to remember the things one teacher of one of the last seminars said to us. He pointed out that the block has to come "out of your body" and "not out of your arm". Further more, if you do a Joudan Uchi (high block), it has to be above your head so that, if you are not able to block away the attack, it will not hit your head. This and some other things I tried to incorporate into the Sanshin no Kata I did afterwards. The Bujinkan training I finished with some sword exercises. For them I used my new Iaito. The handling and feeling of using it was very excellent and the sound it makes when it cuts through the air is just fabulous! The sword training consist of Suburi, some Iai exercises and our Nagare no Kata.

2011-07-05
Monday (2011-07-04) I had been to the Dojo. The training started with some punching exercises and then we went on with the Koshi Kihon Sanpo no Kata. The punching training before the Kata was a good exercise as during all three Kata you need for a good training a partner whom can do a good punch. If the attacker is not punching correctly, the whole Kata would make no sense or would have to be adjusted in a way which would change the Kata. The Koshi Kihon Sanpo no Kata is one part of the Kihon Happo and deals with an attack in all three distances. So the Ichimonji no Kata deals with an attack in the fare distance. The Hicho no Kata with one in the middle and the Juumonji no Kata with one in the close range distance. With this in mind we worked through all three.
The second part of the training contented the Shindenfudo Ryu Kata Karei. "Karei" could be translated as "thunder and dust". It is a short but intense one! We did the basic Kata and the first Henka of it. Lately our teacher explained to us that a Kata gets worse for the attacker with every Henka and that was very true for this one! In the basic Kata you will "just" smash the opponent to the ground and fix him there. In the first Henka you do the same but further more will use your knee to fix him on his upper arm to the ground and additionally perform a choke called Sangakushime on him.
Roughly the last 30 min. we did a bit of Iai techniques again. We did the three drawing exercises in which you cut vertically down performing a step forward, doing the same just with a step backwards and performing a horizontal cut by doing a step to the side. After that we did the two Kata from Seiza I described lately.

2011-07-06
Once again a Kieser-Training session on Tuesday (2011-07-05), but this time I felt my legs a bit weak in a way of having some difficulties to manage to do the exercises for 90 sec. or nine repetitions. Normally this is not a problem and I didn't felt tired at that day, so I was wandering a bit about it. On the other side exercising my upper body and arms went much better than the last time. Here I had the feeling that with the next training there might be a possibility to increase weights in some of them!?
Anyway, the good side effect of the training was that I felt much better and more balanced after it!

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

This one gets a post of its own and I put it here for the lack of knowing where else it should go!?
Some of you might know that I'm fussing around with my current situation. I am feeling myself being in a process of "redefining" of what I should do in my life or what would be my profession, meaning of life.
I would be very happy for any help or just hints which would help me to find a new direction of where I should go to from here on.

For all whom don't know the things I posted on my wordpress-blog.
I had been an engineer since ever. Already when I was a boy I played with LEGO and was "developing" and "constructing" new things out of the given stones we had. Later one I first visited a school for building side management and architecture and worked after finishing this school for about two years as a building side manager.
It was towards the end of this "carrier" that I found my way to the Jedi Path and at that time I already was thinking about giving my life a new direction. At that time I decided to study airplane design. Now I have finished this study and am working already roughly about five years in this area.
Beside this all I was always attracted to martial arts and the way of the warrior. But here it is more than "just" the physical way and their physical abilities. That’s why I would call my way not purely "The way of the warrior" but more "The way of the warrior-saint". Why to put in here the word "saint"? I think, because of my interest for learning more about the mental, spiritual side of the human being and my wish to help and "guide" others in their life.
Already at the point where I decided to start to study airplane design I was also thinking about "studying" Tai Chi Chuan, Qi-Gong and TCM or Shiatsu for to help others with that knowledge. My mother was speaking at that time with my Tai Chi teacher whom was working as a TCM-healer. He said something to my mother which sticks since then in my head. He said that everyone whom has the feeling of learning and using TCM etc. will do so sooner or later.
Why do I point that out? It is because also this time I was searching for an option/possibility to become a so called traditional healer (Heilpraktiker here in Germany). The problem I do have with that is, that I don't want to work or deal with those "alternative" people whom are, for me, in a way too spiritual or out of space – I hope you can understand what I would like to say with that (I don't want to call them freaks, but that might be another word people might use for them).
For me, being a traditional healer has some similarities with being an engineer, this in the way that you have a given problem, circumstance and you have to search for a solution which would make it better than the current status. Am I completely wrong with that or can you see it this way?

My problem now is that I'm an engineer and as my family background is very down to earth or traditionally, it is for me "hard" to see myself as a healer although I'm very attracted by the image and the knowledge. On the other side I do love to develop and construct things, especially aeroplanes! But I'm absolutely unhappy with my current situation and I feel that I'm much behind my abilities.

So, what do others think about it? Are there other jobs wherein you could combine the ability of developing solutions for given problems and helping peoples? Do I miss something completely?
I know, without knowing someone from face to face it is hard to give some advice, so I would be very happy for any thoughts or ideas from you!

NerdFitness Profile

• Thank you received: 1829

Jax replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

Personally I just have two separate lives in essence. My career, where I am an engineer type but where I also have to be creative. And then outside work I'm all spiritual stuff, learning about healing and all the Jedi stuff. 

I would take some time to narrow down what it is you don't like about your current job.  Is it a problem that can be solved by going to work for a different company? 

Then look at what training opportunities there are for you in TCM.  Take your family out of the equation because they really don't matter in this.  It's your life, not theirs. They may not ever understand, but if you are following your intuition you will be successful. 

Can you possibly do both at the same time? Study part time and work, either full time or part time?  While TCM can incorporate what you love about your career, it may not do enough. So you might want to do both for a while, at least until you know if TCM is the right path for you.  It might be that you are to learn something else but TCM is the option you understand.

I hope these questions/ideas help.

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.
  • Thank you received: 84

Stryse replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

For me, being a traditional healer has some similarities with being an engineer, this in the way that you have a given problem, circumstance and you have to search for a solution which would make it better than the current status. Am I completely wrong with that or can you see it this way?

I see some similarities, sure.    When a machine gets sick (broken) we call up an engineer to come triage/diagnose it (what broke), and then repair it (operate on it).    Actually writing that reminds me of the scene in Star Trek VI where Doctor McCoy and Spock are doing 'surgery' on a photo torpedoe, to modify it to seek out the plasma exhaust of the cloaked klingon ship.

We liken the human body to a machine often enough, that extending the analogy that our healers are basically bio-engineers of a fashion isn't much of a stretch. 

There are other aspects of the healing arts that lend itself very well to your desire to be developing and constructing things.    Especially as we start augmenting the human body with ever more sophisticated proxies for things like lost limbs.    Perhaps thats an arena you can take all your engineering background and apply it in medicine.    My company, Alere, is constantly innovating new technologies to help people lead longer and healthier lives.  Something we have in the works is an at-home HIV test kit, similar to what diabetics use to monitor their blood sugar levels, which will let people living with HIV keep closer tabs on their immune system.    It will allow them to detect issues sooner, and get treatment sooner.    Its the work of engineers workign with medical professionals that makes this sort of thing possible.  People like me get to get into the mix as well, lending our analytical skills working with all the data such devices generate to drive improvements in the treatment, and further refine the technology.    There is definitely a lot of opportunity to mix engineering with healing.

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

My thanks to both of you! These are good points to think about and I'm sure they will help me in finding out what I want to do.
Last Wednesday I had a job interview and the meeting was very good and we could speak quite openly. The job descriptions sounds fascinating but with all the good there is also a side which I can not really say what I should think about it. But anyway, I have and will use this weekend to think about all those things.

@Master Jax - I have made already a list of points for all the things I like in my job and company and all the things I don't. Further more I expand the list for things I would like to have/see in my job.
About the traditional healer or TCM - as TCM would be a part or specialisation in the training for the traditional healer - I found out that there are plenty of opportunities to "study" it in evening or weekend schools. So I would be able to dive into it without changing anything or at least not much on my current job.
One of my major problems about my job currently is, that it leaves me with very little time for all my other interests and hobbies.

@Stryse - thank You for your idea on engineering and healing and the combination of it.

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-07-11
As I already wrote, I had a job interview on Wednesday (2011-07-06). We were talking for quite a while and after that – the interview was very good and I had good feeling during and after it – I was very enthusiastic. As we finished with that we will talk to each other again on Tuesday (2011-07-12), I used the weekend for reflecting on this opportunity. At the end I narrowed it down to two points which are for me very important. On the plus side there is that this job would offer me a very interesting and challenging work. On the minus side there is that this would most likely mean that I wouldn't have much time for my other interests. So this is now what I have to figure out. If it is really the case that my spare time would tending to zero, the job will not suite me as my martial art training and my other hobbies are of equal importance to me then earning money is.

Thursday (2011-07-07) I had to go to the dentist for a check-up. Lately I do have some problems with one of my teeth. It is a bit sensitive to hot and cold. The last time I had been to the doctor, which was actually around a week before, she gave me some ointment with an injection into the gingival. This already helped a bit. This time she then sealed the area with a kind of lacquer. The lacquer had to be done two more times which means that I have to see here again on Tuesday (2011-07-12) again.

Sunday (2011-07-10) I did some stretching and Qi-Gong in the morning as well as a longer meditation session of about 20 min. Originally I have had in mind to do also some Bujinkan training but I skipped that as the weather condition was already in the morning awful. The last couple of days it was now very hot and humid and the heavy thunderstorms in the evening/night didn't helped much to better this.
In the afternoon I went to my second last Japanese language class. It was very funny! We are, since the last class, done with the text book and because of that we are now using what we have learned to speak more "freely". I do enjoy it very much and find it quite interesting how much – although, to be honest, it is still very little – we are already able to talk. Currently every one of us is able to tell simple things about what he had done the last week or what he is looking forward to do the next. Additionally the translation of the texts from the workbook is now much easier as it was in the beginning and the reading and speaking is much more fluent. Next Sunday then will be the last class of this course, but I do already know yet that I will visit the next class starting with the winter semester!

2011-07-12
Monday (2011-07-11), we had a kind of mini seminar or better said a summery of what we had done the last half of the year. We were working through the Ten no Kata of the Shinden Fudo Ryu. The Ten no Kata includes the Kata/Forms: Nichi Geki, Gekkan, Fubi, U Ryu, Hibari, Setsuyaku, Musan and Karai. All of them have about two Henka. This makes in sum 24 Kata.
This Monday we did the first four of them including the Henka. As this was much stuff to do, we trained the whole training time through without a break. This means three hours of constant and highly concentrated training. This used me a lot of power, physically as well as mentally! Additionally the weather was very hot and humid which didn't make it better. But it was a good and interesting training!
Additionally to the Kata and Henka we did after each form a kind of "battlefield" training. We were only allowed to use half of our training space and it was a case of dog eats dog! After that we did a kind of team battle as well and did a body count at the end. This was a very interesting and intense experience as well as it doesn't give you much time to think about what you are or have to do. You only can react to a given situation and touching the floor means that you had died.

2011-07-18
Last week Tuesday (2011-07-12) I had been to Kieser-Training. Doing the Kieser-Training on a weekly base is okay but I can't make any progress in increasing weights. So it would be fine to get a second day per week in to do Kieser-Training, but on the other side I does need the time also focus on myself and use it for other things. Because of that I'm a bit in two minds about going to Kieser-Training a second time and using the "free" evening for other, maybe more mental, things.

On Wednesday (2011-07-13) I was looking forward to attend the second part of our Shinden Fudo Ryu mini seminar. But when I was taking the train from work back home, I already felt some stomach ache. This got worse till I reached the main station at home. Because of that, I had to go home instead of going to the Dojo. The stomach ache got that worse that I decided to stay at home from work on Thursday and Friday. As I didn't felt to well till Sunday, I wasn't able to do any training in this time.
A lot of people told me, as I do have stomach ache quite often, that I maybe should see a doctor to find out what is causing the stomach ache. Unfortunately I'm myself not any longer able to distinguish what is causing the problem. Earlier I thought, and this is still the case, that too hot and/or spicy dishes aren't really suiting me. But now it is most likely that I have "developed" an allergy against some food ingredients!? Anyway, I now have to find out how to best handle that.

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-07-20
On Monday (2011-07-18) we had a kind of Kihon workshop. Because of that we did in the first part of the training some punching and blocking drills. For the punching drills we used some punching pads which you can wear like a glove. In this way we had some "moving" targets to hit. By that I do mean that we first punched the one hand, and then the holder would perform with the other hand an attack which we had to block in combination with stepping away. After the block we had to punch the "attacking" hand and block the first targeted hand.
For the block drill we did it first without a partner. With every block we performed in the air, we had to take a deep Kamae. This caused me some aching muscles on the other day. Later we did the block drill – still with using a deep Kamae – together with a partner. In this exercise we used the way of Koppo Jutsu to block. This means we didn't actually block but more hit the attacking arm with the knuckles of our "blocking" fist. This caused me some bruises. ;-)
At the end of the first part we then learned or better said focused on the technique Omote Gyaku.
In the second part of the training we changed the training stile and focused more on the feeling and balance of our own technique and the one of our "attacker". This kind of training is very useful to get a feeling for your own balance as well as for the one of the attacker. In this way, as you are working more Tai Chi Chuan stile, you have the time to practice for yourself and see how your own movement influences your own balance as well as the one of the attacker. If you do it very slow, you have the time to "think" and "look" what you can do and in which direction you can influence the balance of the attacker in a way which would benefit your own needs.

At Tuesday (2011-07-19) I have had in mind to go to the Kieser-Training, but the weather forecast as well as the actual cloud formations looked very stormy so I decided to go home. At home I then did only a short exercise. I made some Sit-Ups and some Push-Ups. Additionally I used my dumbbells for strengthening my underarms and wrists. After that I took a shower and when I got back from the shower into my room it was like as somebody would have switched off the lights. Five minutes later it started heavily to rain. So it was a good "intuitive" decision to not go to the Kieser-Training and drive home instead.

NerdFitness Profile

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds