Yoshio's Training Diary

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Johannes (Yoshio)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 1407

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

2011-03-23
We worked on one more Henka of the Shinden Fudo Ryu Kata. In a way it was difficult as it dealt with manipulating the opponents balance to throw him. This made it very important to do the techniques in a constant flow and in the right timing plus all the other small details.
The most important point our teacher stressed at was, that if you want to throw something it is needed to change the level of it. With that he meant that before you can throw someone down you have first to bring him up. By bringing his balance or centre of gravity up you become able to slip under it with yours. When your centre of gravity is on a lower level than the one of the opponent it is easy to throw someone, if not, it is impossible or would need a lot of force. This is one of the major points I have to focus at, as I'm quite tall and so have to keep this in mind all the time. If not, I will always have problems to throw someone.
In the second part of the training we did sword training. But this time we didn't work much with the sword. We started with Suburi. Then we should practice a basic repetition set-up but what we did our teacher didn't like. So we trained for quite a while only the footwork of this exercises. Stupid routine, someone might think. But it is of immense importance as you program yourself in this way. If you have done something, let's say 1.000 times in one and the same way – hopefully correct! – Your body will start to remember this movement without thinking about how to do it. He explained to us that this is what is understood as "body remembrance". I hope that makes sense in English!?
One other bonus you get by doing this is an increase in your endurance!
At the end he pointed out, that who, who want to become good in martial arts have to do the basics in innumerable repetitions. And for him the basics start with doing Kamae. But he also say that it is better to do every day 10 or even 5 min in the morning and in the evening than to go one or two times per week into the Dojo and train there for 3 hours each training. Again, it is repetition what will make the difference. The same said my Japanese language teacher to us in the last lecture. He said it is better to learn every day for a couple of minutes up to half an hour than to only join the Sunday class for three hours.
It is funny that you always will find the same principles in different areas!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 35

inari replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

He explained to us that this is what is understood as "body remembrance".

I've also heard it called 'muscle memory'.

it is better to do every day 10 or even 5 min in the morning and in the evening than to go one or two times per week into the Dojo and train there for 3 hours each training.

Just something I was thinking myself today! I thank you for the reminder.

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Master Inari, thanks for Your reply. The word "body remembrance" is literally translated by me. So it is most likely that "muscle memory" is the correct term to use here.

The daily 10 min of training I do also apply for my study of the Japanese language in which I have started to attend a course to weeks ago. The teacher at this class said more or less the same. He said: "To learn and repeat everyday a small portion of the things we had worked through during the lecture will give you more benefit and progress than to learn one or two additional times per week for an hour." For learning Japanese I do use the time in the morning which I spent at the train.
For my martial arts training I try to incorporate this "10 min training" to my "coming home routine". I feel that in this way it may work out better than to set up a specific time for training, as I know that I will most likely skip it. In the beginning it might be a bite hard to achieve but I'm positive to it that it will finally work out.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

First of all, I managed to go to the Kieser-Training last Friday. So, since a long time, I went there two times a week. I did much better than I had expected. This gave me another push forward for keep on going and sticking to my strict training schedule!

2011-03-28
In Dojo the first part of the training was dedicated to Sanshin no Kata and Kamae training. Monday is always Kihon day! On the weekend I managed to do some Sanshin no Kata training on my own. But at this training I learned something new. After all this years of training there was a mistake in one hand technique which is included in the Kata. Some now might say it is a minor task and not so important, but hey, that isn't true. Once again, what my teacher showed us makes perfect sense and I was wondering why nobody else – with that I do mean my former teachers – had seen this point/detail!? The Kata I'm talking about includes a hand technique which is called Go/Sanshitanken – wherein Go stands for five and San for three fingers. At Goshitanken the forming of the "fist" is quite obvious. You will put all five fingertips together and press them together to make it a strong "fist". As Sanshitanken is just a variation for those how can't do or feeling uncomfortable with Goshitanken, the approach of making the "fist" is very similar. In this you will press the three "main" fingers together and strengthen them by pressing the thumb to their inside leafing the little finger folded to your palm. As I said, this my look like an unimportant point but only as long as you are not using the technique realistically. Doing it the wrong way, it is most likely that you may damage/break your own fingers.
In the second part of the training we worked through a new Kata of the Shinden Fudo Ryu. It is called Fubi no Kata. It deals with a choking technique against which you use yourself a choking technique. The attacker tries to choke you with both hands at around your throat. The first and most important step to perform in this Kata is, that you bring your chin to your chest pressing it down there and tensing all your neck muscles and pushing your shoulders upwards. By doing so, you will narrow down the space around your throat which would make it much harder for the attacker to choke you. Having done this, you will grip his shoulders. This action is followed by jumping up and onto your attacker, placing your feed around his waist and hooks them together in his back. By stretching your hooked feed you will do a body-choke to him. Then you will punch him into his face, which brings his awareness and balance a bit backwards which gives you the options to slide down along his feed landing on your back. Now hold his feed and stretch your own again. This will make the attacker loosing his balance and falling backwards.
This Kata seems a bit strange from "outside", but it is really fun to do. But you should be aware of the fact that this one was developed at a time where they were battling on the fields in armour. Nowadays it might be a bit unrealistic as it is a bit hard to perform and without wearing armour you have many better options to deal with the choking attack!

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-03-30
On Tuesday I did short training of Sanshin no Kata on my own. Normally I would have gone to Kieser-Training but as I had a flat tire on my bicycle in the morning I had to deal with that first. So I skipped Kieser and repaired my bicycle instead. At least I thought so. But I had to find out on Wednesday morning that the valve and not the tube was the problem. So I had no bicycle to get to the train station and later in the day to the Dojo.
Because of that I couldn't attend training on Wednesday. Therefore I did some sword training again on my own. As I had to train in my flat I used the Shoto (short sword) instead the Daito (long sword/Katana/Bokken). First I did some Suburi. Single handed as it was with the Shoto. So I did 50 with the right and 50 with the left hand. As I'm used to work with the Daito, it felt a bit wired to do it with the short sword. After the Suburi I did Nagare, the "Kata" or better said exercise as it is no official Kata. This one performed first out of Shizen no Kamae and in the same way as we would do it with the Bokken. But I had to adjust my left hand, because of the short hilt the Shoto. So I kept it resting on the Saya. Then I did the whole Nagare exercise starting from Seiza. All in all it was a good exercise and at the end I felt a bit more comfortable to use the Shoto.

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-04-06
As the last week was mixed up because of the technical defect on my bicycle, I went to the Kieser-Training on Thursday. The training was a bit harder then I would have expected. All the exercises I could do for the needed 60 sec. min. and even extend it to 90 sec. But some of them become really hard to do for to reach the 90 sec.
Friday no extra training at home, instead I cleaned up my flat and did the shopping for the weekend.
Saturday I got up a bit late as it belongs to my normal habit. Because of that I didn't do any Qi-Gong or Tai Chi Chuan exercises in the morning. I only went to the beaker and got some fresh bread for my breakfast. The rest of the day than was filled up with doing my taxes. But in the evening I went to a concert of "Schandmaul" a German folk rock/medieval rock band. The concert was great and the atmosphere and the people at the concert as well. It really pushed my emotional stage and gave me a lift for to feel happy.
Sunday morning I woke up and already noticed that this day will be bad. My pollen allergy kicked in hard. My nose was nearly completely blocked, my eyes were tearing and my head was dull, because of that again no Qi-Gong or Tai Chi Chuan exercise. After the breakfast I felt tired again. I called my brother and made an appointment for the afternoon. Then I took a nap for a couple of hours. This had given me back some energy. The afternoon and evening I spent with my brother. We had a good chat, drinking coffee, backing a pizza, drinking a beer and watched a movie. So, not to bad for an otherwise bad day.
Monday I felt better, I guess, because it had rained during the night and so the air was cleaned from pollen. This gave me the chance to go to training. This Monday we had some visitors from another Dojo. This offered me the opportunity to train with a woman I haven't trained before. That was a good experience, as always when you have to deal with something new in your training routine. The training itself was basic stuff. We did some Tehodoki (hand release) and Taihodoki (body release) techniques. The second part of the training we learned a Kata from Shinden Fudo Ryu which dealt as well with Taihodoki.
This Tuesday I went to Kieser-Training as usually. The training was better than last week but not as good as the week before last week. I have to remember myself to be patient as I sometimes do still feel my shoulder.
In parallel I work currently on the material of the Personal 101 course. The last topic was "The Will to Change". This works out till now quite fine. I gave myself the task to limit my time spending on the internet for unimportant things. With that I was able to, although I had the problem with my bicycle, get in some extra training. Additionally I started again to tell myself what good things I have done/achieved during the day. This gives me a positive feeling before falling asleep.
As I noted in my PLP, I'm looking forward to become a teacher. It seems like I have made an important step forward on that. Last weekend I got an invitation for an "informal" job interview at a school back home in the city I was born. Yesterday we fixed the date and so I'm looking forward to go there on Friday. I hope I can present myself well! But anyway, it gives me a good feeling and it would be wonderful if it would work out!

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-04-12
Last week on Wednesday (2011-04-06) I had been to the Dojo. We did some more "preparation" for the first sword Kata. But before that we did Suburi as always. After that me teacher asked me to show some new students the "Nagare no Kata" we do always for getting the feeling and spirit of working with the sword. It was fun to work with people!
On Friday (2011-04-08) I had my job interview at a school back home in Salzburg. What should I say; it wasn't as I had expected it. It was parents-teacher day at the school. Because of that our talk was disturbed every five minutes or so. I felt in a way a bit uncomfortable. The talk was than more the way that I had to talk about myself, no real questions were asked, and then they pointed out some facts which normally should be quite obvious, I thought by myself, like "you have to be punctually for classes" and "do you really want to work with children" etc. After that, I'm now not anymore so enthusiastic of becoming a teacher and will wait till 1th of May and the official advertisement of vacancies.
On the weekend (2011-04-09/10) we had a Kihon (basic) seminar at our Dojo. We worked mainly on Kamae (stances), dodging, punching and blocking. On Sunday we started with the Sanshi no Kata. But I only was able to stay till lunchtime as I had to leave for my Japanese language class.
Learning Japanese really is fun for me! Not only that I do have now a new Japanese girlfriend but also I had found a very good teacher! He keeps us talking all the time. He says that you have to learn a language like a child. Don't care about gram or try do understand everything by logic. Just learn the sample sentences and learn to use them. The class is lasting for about three hours but the time feels much shorter as I do have a lot of fun! It was definitively worth to join this class!
Monday (2011-04-11), normally I would have gone to the Dojo on this day, but a friend asked me for my help. So I joined him at his home. He is looking forward to establish/open a Mexican restaurant together with his Mexican wife. For that they want to sell their food at a summer festival. For that they need a kind of sales booth. As I had worked and "studied" architecture/construction work and building side management, they asked me, if I could help them with a concept for their sales booth. We spent the evening together and developed a plan of a modular construction. I guess that this should work out pretty well. Hope they will be happy with it and that their start becomes a success!

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-04-19
Tuesday (2011-04-12), I had been to Kieser-Training. Not much to say about it. It seems to me that a have reached a kind of level on which further improvements, increasing of weights might be difficult and will need some more and constant training.
From Saturday to Monday (2011-04-16 to 2011-04-18) I had a friend visiting me. We did a daytrip on Saturday to Salzburg where I made a kind of guided tour. It was a lot of walking in the city and a good lunch on a view spot. The weather was good but a bit fresh. After a long time, it had been the first time that I used my car for a far distance ride. On Sunday we visited Köngissee, a local national park. The weather was just perfect and I got a little sunburn. In the national park we did a little hiking tour and enjoyed the beautiful weather, the clean air – which really helped me with my pollen allergy – and a fine lunch at the lake. On Monday my friend had to leave and so we only walked a bit to the city of Munich before we got to the airport. These three days I had been much more active as I would normally have been. Especially the hiking tour gave me a kind of push to set up for myself the commitment that I will use nice weather and my spare time better in the way that I do daytrips in the nature around here.

NerdFitness Profile

• Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

Yoshio - your physical training is so busy - I admire your dedication.  It puts me to shame...

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

AstaSophi - I thank You for your admiration, but, please, don't turn that into something negative for yourself. I would be happy, if You would take it as a kind of push to get a new, fresh drive into Your own training!
The thing is, at least I see it this way, everyone does as he best can and as I'm living alone, because of a far distance relationship, I do have enough time to focus on my (physical) training that much. But I'm pretty sure that this will change again.

NerdFitness Profile

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds