Yoshio's Training Diary

• Thank you received: 1804

Jax replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

Hmm...was the feeling similar to the dizziness that comes from not eating (low blood sugar)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Johannes (Yoshio)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 1373

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

That might be possible, as I had done the exercise before I had breakfast. In general I would assume that I had a bad circulation at that time (low bloodpressure).

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Yeah, I've found I don't do exercise well before I eat something. I get lightheaded when stretching even. Part of it is also sleepiness. 

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I guess that sleepiness is currently my main problem.
Since a couple of weeks I do not catch enough sleep, mostly only about 5 hours per night. Even on the weekends.
But now I'm aware of it and slightly improving to get again more sleep. For me this is now an issue of "making time for the important". Because, when I'm always sleepy, I'm not able to keep track with all the things.
Till now I tried to compensate that "not keeping track" by expanding the day more and more with the fact that I'm getting less and less sleep. So, obviously, I have to turn that the other way round.
I need to get more sleep, to gain more energy, to become again able to do things with a better focus and consciousness.
Additionally, as I have noted in my Dream Diary, I have to deal with violent or aggressive dreams which are disturbing me a bit as it is not my nature to be violent.
I wonder what that might have to tell/teach me!?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
NerdFitness Profile

I've had the same problem Yoshio. For months I actually did very well with sleep. The past three weeks however have gotten all screwed up and I'm never caught up. I'll take a look at your dream journal today and see if anything jumps out at me.  Hang in there and try to get some sleep. ;-)

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Thanks Master Jax! I'm slightly catching up with things. But actually I'm a bit worried if I should go to this weekends seminar or not!? It would mean another weekend with very little sleep. But on the other hand it means meeting nice people, getting some training done, learning new things and having fun. Unfortunately I do have to deal with my yearly pollen allergy allready. Anyway, I'll see how I do tomorrow!?

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-03-09
On Tuesday I had been to the Kieser-Training. Although I'm not really constantly training there, I do see slight improvements after my problems with my left shoulder and backside. Still feel that the shoulder muscles are a bit weaker than the ones on the right sight. But, as I had this problems at the end of last year for roughly around a month, as I'm now training for about one and a half month, I guess, I could be quite happy with how things improve.

The training on Wednesday was held by us black belts as our teacher is currently on a business trip.
Because of that one black bet, he does normally do the training on Friday for all does who haven't had enough after Monday's and Wednesday's training, did the first part. In his exercises he focused on basics from the Kihon Happo. Basically we trained one lever and the principle behind it. It was very interesting and I'm once again surprised how high the level of understanding and practice is in our Dojo. This black belt is quite young but he knows his stuff and more than that he understands to explain and show the techniques.
The second part of the training was than up to me. My teacher gave me the task to work with the sword. As guidance for the training I should use the techniques we did last week. So I tried to remember all of them and bring them in a line which makes sense. Beside that I gave some explanations on some minor details in training mainly concerning the sword itself and how you should handle it. At the end, I think, I did a not too bad job. At least, nobody was complaining and the people seamed interested.

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-03-18
Today I will give a kind of week review!
I had been to the Bujinkan-Training on Monday. The topic for the basics training was the Kata Nichi Geki and its Henka (variations) from the Shinden Fudo Ryu. The interesting thing on that was, once again, that a Henka always should be not only a variation of a Kata but much more it should be something which points out the important part of the basic Kata. The Kata Nichi Geki deals with a counterattack against Uchi Mata or hip throw. The key point is that you have to lower your centre and bring your upper body backwards. This element can be found in all Henka of the Nichi Geki Kata.
The other part of the training was for us black belts to work on two more Kata of the Takagi Yoshin Ryu. One of them was very Aikido style like. The attacker started his attack from Seiza and performed a punch against the approaching Tori. Tori had to step out of the attacking line, give a little impulse to the attacker into his original direction to bring him out of balance and the by a rational movement down to the ground.
Tuesday and Wednesday I had been sick. After the training on Monday I eat a pineapple which wasn't anymore so fresh. Because of that I got terrible stomach ache and felt weak for the whole Tuesday. Out of that I missed the training on Wednesday and the last part of our seminar/lecture about the development of the Japanese sword. What a pity!
Now my health is slightly improving. But I still have to be careful about what I'm eating.

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-03-21
The first part of this training dealt with a counterattack against Omote Gyaku and learning/understanding/practicing the key points and principle of Ganseki Nage.
Training counterattacks against a given technique it is very important to understand that there can't be a technique nor can't there be "the one" technique against it! To become able to counterattack a technique doesn't matter which one, it is immensely important to understand the technique and its principle itself. Only when you have understood a technique and how it works, how it would be applied, you will become able to work against its principle. As for Omote Gyaku, as it is a lever on your wrist, it is important to close the space/room between you and your partner/attacker. Further more it is a good idea to try to get your hand, on which Omote Gyaku will be applied, back to your body, as this gives you a better control and more strength over your hand. The next thing then is to gain control over the situation and your partner/attacker and apply any technique you know on him.
Ganseki Nage is first of all a throw. It deals with the manipulation of the shoulder of your partner/attacker. This is the first and most important point to understand! So we worked on this point and how we can achieve to manipulate the shoulder in the way we want or better said need it for doing the technique. After that we did a Henka (variation) which, and that’s how Henka should be understood, points out this key point. As it is included in the word "Nage"/throw the basic technique is a throw, obviously. But the throw itself is only the control of having done everything correct before. This means, if you aren't able to throw your partner/attacker at the end with ease, you have made a mistake before. Out of this fact the first Henka is called Ganseki Keri. The word "Keri" stands for kick without specifying which kick. With all the action before the kick, you take your partner/attacker off balance and the kick or kicks at the will sent him to the floor. Her again, if you haven't take the balance of your partner/attacker before your kicks might have an effect on him but most likely won't sent him down to the floor.

The second part of the training dealt with a Kata from Shinden Fudo Ryu. I can't recall the name of it. In the first run it looks very simple but it also has some key point to teach you. To cut it down to a single principle, I would say, it deals with applying Tai Gyaku (body lever) on your partner. He will punch at your face. Directly you are not able to use Tai Gyaku against this kind of attack, so you need a setup to get your partner in a position wherein you are able to get Tai Gyaku to work. For that you would evade the attack, take down his hand with your own guiding, leading hand and bring your other hand to his shoulder of the attacking arm. With this movement you already gain some control over the situation but he will be still quite upright and so no chance for you to get his shoulder down and push it further down to the ground with your bodyweight – which is the principle of Tai Gyaku. To take him off balance and bring him forward in one and the same step the Kata includes now a kick to his testicle. – If you are at a bad angle or if he stands quite flat faced in front of you, you can use a punch to his short-ribs instead. – Now he will bent forward which gives you the possibility to pull with your hand at his shoulder, lowering down on one knee and bring his shoulder down to the floor. You pin him to the ground by pushing with your whole body via your straight arm on his shoulder.

Once again a very good training in which I learned a lot of things. Some of which I have already know, some of which were new to me. Further more it once again showed me the deep understanding my teacher has of the stuff he is doing.

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-03-22
After I had been sick for a couple of days last week and because of that haven't been to Kieser-training, it had been the first time after nearly two weeks that I had been there.
Because of my shoulder problem I had last year, some of the exercises had been very difficult to do and I had to reduce the weight significantly on them. But this time it was the first time after all this stuff that I could do some of the exercises for the full cycle of 120 sec. That means that I'm not only improving again, it also allows me to increase the weight for the next time.
But more important to me is the fact that this means my shoulder is going to do better and can take some more weight again. Now I have to be careful to not become overestimated and increase weight to fast. Little by little, I guess, that has to be the approach!

NerdFitness Profile

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds