Yoshio's Training Diary

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Johannes (Yoshio)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 1433

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

2011-02-10
Was taking a shower in the evening and did the Chakra cleaning exercise. The last time I did it I already noticed a more intense response at my throat or 5th Chakra. The same was yesterday. I guess it might have to do with, that I caught a cold and have now sore throat!?
Also I do still lack of enough sleep. Have to be stricter with going to bed! But an intense weekend lies before me! We will have a seminar at our Dojo this weekend. This means, extra training today and training from Saturday 1000 o'clock with included dinner at 1900 o'clock and Sunday training till 1530 o'clock. Huh, we will see how I can handle that!?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-02-12 and 2011-02-13
We had a seminar at our Dojo this weekend. The topic of the seminar was the "Ten no Kata" of the Shinden Fudo Ryu Dakentaijutsu. The seminar started on Saturday at about 1030 o'clock. We trained till 1730 with one hour break for lunch. On Sunday then training from 1030 to 1630, also with a break of one hour for lunch.
So the weekend was very intense! Especially the Sunday as I had the honour to be the Uke for the teacher of this seminar. That is the reason why I feel like a 100 year old man today! ;-)
The special thing of this Ryu is that it has no Kamae or better said none which is expressed in a special stand. Every action is performed out of Shizen no Kamae or the natural stand – which is the normal standing position everyone would take when he just stand. Feet shoulder wide, slightly bent in the knees, body relaxed.
Most of the techniques were a bit nasty. So the targets you go for to punch or kick are joints or bones. That's why I do have a lot of bruises now all over my body. Also we did some throwing actions and so you had to stand up from the ground very often.
On Saturday we had been for dinner all together. It was a very nice evening with good and funny talks. The people form the seminar and from our Dojo are very fine people!
The weekend was really hard but I did enjoy it! Out of all this intense bodywork I slept both nights, from Saturday to Sunday and from Sunday to Monday, like a stone.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-02-16
The training in our Dojo was on that day a bit reorganised as we had a lecture on Japanese sword forging. So the training started with Kukishinden Ryu sword training. We are now practicing a Kata in which Tori performs a vertical draw of his blade and Uke tries to come in first with a horizontal draw of his blade. Uke immediately let follow a vertical downward cut. So Tori has to step back under 45 degree to counter the attack and "block" it with his blade brought upwards and running over his right underarm. From this position Tori let follow a vertical downward cut to Ukes right wrist. This cut will be followed by a small step forward and a light cut to Ukes throat. Tori will leaf his blade at this position and do another step to the backside of Uke bringing his blade over Ukes right shoulder and down. In this position now Tori has two options, he could cut down Uke or control him.
This Kata or exercise is a preparation for the first Kata of the Kukishinden Ryu which is called Tsuki Komi. Tsuki Komi could be translated as "come in".
After the sword training we had then the second part of the lectures dealing with the Japanese sword, its history and development. The lecture was very interesting as it also showed the development of the forging of swords in Europe. In Europe the so called "Damaszener" steel was the best or the most popular one. Here the blacksmith forged sheets of hard and soft steel together to get a mixture of layers which would give a blade the ability to have a sharp and hard cutting edge but also be flexible to not break by hard contact. The Japanese blacksmith followed the same idea but in a little different way. Without to much detail you could say that the Japanese forged at least two blocks of steel. One block would have hard steel character and one would have a soft steel character. Now they would use the hard one for building the outside of the blade and the cutting edge. The outside would be folded around the soft steel which would build the spine of the blade. In this way you get a blade with a hard surface and a sharp cutting edge which will still be flexible as it has a soft spine.
At the end of the lecture the guy showed us his Katana made from Tamahagane, which you could say is the pendant to the damascene steel. Also we hade the possibility to try to grinding some Tanto blades.
So again it was a very interesting lecture and the second of the three we would have about the Japanese sword. I'm really looking forward to what the last one will teach us!?

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-02-21
This Monday we started the basic training with Kamae. Afterwards we did some punching drills. This, because we had a seminar, as I have written, and our teacher had seen many people whom actually weren't punch but more the performed a kind of pushing. The problem here is that many people actually don't want to hurt their partner in an exercise and because of that they do the punch wrong. So they develop a kind of pushing technique and think they are punching but in a more controlled way. But this is completely wrong! There is a very big difference between punching and pushing! Quite obvious or?
In a push your hand will normally approach before the force a movement of your body. So you use your body force and movement to push him out of your way.
In a punch the movement and force of your body and the fist or what ever hand technique you use have to approach simultaneous at the target. In this way you are able to cause the greatest effect on your target. But be aware that your actual target lies a bit behind your opponents "surface".
This is a point everybody has to be aware of in every training! Because, if you do and teach yourself wrong you will not be able to do it right in a situation you would need it!
The second part of the training we worked with "feeling" exercises. For that we used basic techniques and entrances into techniques. From this start we tried to "feel" where the opponent wants to go to, where his weak spots are and in which way you can influence his balance in a way which is good for you and bad fro him. The point here was "to keep control every moment". At the end of the training we used this principle for dealing with multiple attacks, so not only with just one. This is a very interesting and beneficial exercise as it shows you immediately were you made a mistake and lost control. Because then you will create an opening which your opponent will use for his advantage.

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-02-22
In the evening I was visiting a Japanese language class from a teacher whom I will join in a new course which starts in the last third of March.
The course I'm looking forward to join is a bit advanced and so I bought some exercise CDs from him to prepare myself till then for the course.
The class was quite funny. He really put his focus on to involve all his students in getting the ability to speak. In my opinion this is a very good point as this would be for me the most needed thing to learn. So I'm looking forward to join the course in March!

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-02-23
I was already tired to death before I went to the training. I was fussing around with myself if I should or shouldn't go. In the end I decided to go. What turned the balance was the book I'm currently reading. It is a book of Dave Lowry with the title "The Essence of Budo". I just can recommend to anyone whom is interested in Budo and the Cultural background of it. In general the books of Dave Lowry are very well written and in a way they are a must read in our Dojo at the moment. – Side node, I should talk with Master Jax about them, maybe they are worth to put them in the recommendation section!?
But now to the training itself, because I was so tired I had a very bad circulation and so all the throwing techniques didn't really fit in here! But as the expression "Ganbatte" means, just keep on going! We started there where we had ended the training in a way on Monday. The techniques had more to do with using the principle of them and then find out to where we can go and where not do get our partner out of balance. This worked more or less well. But then our teacher said that we black belts have to train together and give each other some resistance. Though we shouldn't or better said weren't allowed to work against the technique, we had to give enough resistance that or partner couldn't "just do" the technique. When you are working in this way, you will find out very quickly that nothings is working proper and that you have to improvise all the time. That is on one side very interesting but on the other side frustrating as you feel like a complete beginner. Because of that you shouldn't do this kind of training to long!
The second part was sword training again. Still the same techniques and the same set-up. We need it as preparation for going into Kata. If you don't know the principles of the sword and how to work with it, it makes no sense to do a Kata. At the end of the training our teacher said that he is really satisfied how we progressed, although we are not there where have to be to go into Kata.
But it is really amazing to see how people progress and develop in our Dojo. I have to owe my respect to my teacher and the class for this fine atmosphere!

NerdFitness Profile

• Thank you received: 1843

Jax replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

It sounds like you have an awesome Dojo and instructor.  And of course you can recommend books.  If you found it useful someone else will as well. :-)

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Yes, I can consider my self lucky in having found a Dojo of that quality!

About the books, I have started a thread in the Book Review section. Hope they might be of some help for others as well!?

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-03-01
It has already been some time since I was at the Kieser-Training the last time. But I try my best to do it now again more constantly. The good thing on it is that I already can notice some progress after my problems with my back and shoulders which I had at the end of last year. Only one exercise is remaining which causes some problems. I guess I have to talk with my traditional healer once more.

2011-03-02
In the first part of our training we worked, for the last time, on the point of feeling the balance of our opponent and how we could manipulate it. Again it was very interesting to "just" use the principle of a technique and focus more on the point how and in which way and in which direction you could influence the balance of your partner and his Kamae (stance).
The second part we worked on our sword techniques. In a way this time we started with the first Kata which is called Tsuki Komi. But first we did some Suburi!
After them we did the partner work were in the defender had to do a vertical draw with his sword, which will be "blocked" by a horizontal draw by the attacker. This been followed by a vertical downward cut by the attacker for which the defender had to step backwards under 45 degree and "block" the cut. We did this for a couple of runs.
Then we changed it a bit to go more into the direction of how it would be performed in the Kata. So, instead of stepping out, the defender just stepped backwards a bit and taking Seigan no Kamae. In this way his tip of the sword will point to the throat of the attacker. This will stop him in his forward movement. To get this right, timing is very important!
This was than expanded by adding a new attack to the sequence. The attacker will now perform a vertical downward cut to one of the hands of the defender. For that he had to step a bit out of the line between attacker and defender to get away from the blade tip of the defender. By doing so, this will give him the ability to do the cut on the out- or inside.
The next technique which was added was the "main" technique of Tsuki Komi. In the moment when the attacker performs his cut, the defender lowers him and performs a stab with his blade to the throat of the attacker.
Next week my teacher will not be able to held classes as he on a business trip. He asked me, if I could give the instructions for the sword training next week. I feel very honoured that he puts his trust in me.

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-03-05 and 2011-03-06
At the end of my daily Qi-Gong exercise I included the stimulation of my primary centres as described in the "Astral Projection" book. As I had done Qi-Gong just before, which included the activation of all my main joints and the built-up of a sphere or bubble around my body, I felt all the primary centres very well. In some of them I could feel the same things as they had been described in the book. It gave me a sense of delight.
Especially on Saturday this stayed to be that way all the way to the baker shop. So I was enjoying the beautiful weather and the way much more than normally. It was really uplifting!
On Sunday it was a bit different and I had more a dizzy feeling after I finished the exercise. But this ended after I had taken a few steps.

NerdFitness Profile

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds