Yoshio's Training Diary

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Johannes (Yoshio)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 1332

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

2011-02-07
Kihon training a bit different this Monday. We have chosen for our Dojo as this year's topic "Takagi Yoshin Ryu". Because of that, our teacher takes us black belt from time to time to the side to practice with us the first Katas of the Densho. This school deals mainly with techniques for bodyguards. So it includes Katas wherein you should do your movements on a small space. The first three or so Katas even deal with a situation in which both sitting in the special Takagi Yoshin Ryu Seiza. It needs a bit of adjustment/change to get used to this kind of training. This because last year we were dealing with schools which are putting the focus on wide and deep Kamae.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

I'd like to hear more about the special seiza that you mention.  Could you try to describe it?

Zen-Ryo

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Ok, I will try my best.
I guess You know the "normal" Seiza!? You are sitting on your heels with your feet flat on the floor.
Like in the picture here:

For Takagi Yoshin Ryu you have to know that this is a Samurai Ryu-ha (school) which was "designed" for bodyguards. Because of that they would wear mostly formal cloths which includes Hakama.
Out of this reason you are not able to see the actual position of the feet. So they where used to sit not on the flat feet. Instead they where sitting on their heels with the feet put on their balls.
What I mean is, the position of the feet would be the same as the second last on this picture here:

This does give you the advantage to get quicker up, than when you are sitting on your flat feet and with Hakama the difference is barley visible.
I hope this was understandable?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-02-08
It's just funny how the Force or your own intuition guides you sometimes!
I was just answering some questions from Master Jax according my Force 101 work which dealt with intuition and time issues. After that I went through the folders on my USB-Stick and found two very interesting documents which of I had forgotten completely.
The first one is an article from Steve Pavlina with the title "Making time for the important". It can be found here: http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2007/07/making-time-for-the-important/
The other one is called "Tai Chi as a Spiritual Practice" by I-chi and can be found here: http://prernalal.com/banned%20books/Tai%20Chi%20As%20a%20Spiritual%20Practice%20by%20I-chi.pdf
I read through the both articles and found a lot of good stuff in them again. The described standing exercise out of the Tai Chi text I used then already at the train platform when I was waiting for the train.

After work, I went to the Kieser-Training again. This time the training was a bit hard. I was able to do all exercises in the time range of 60 to 90 seconds or as I do it now 6 to 9 repetitions as one repetition last for about 10 seconds. But I wasn't able to do a single exercise longer then 90 sec. So no increasing of weight for the next turn. This is fine, as I'm planning to go to the training on Friday again. Hopefully the training is easier then!?
After the training I felt a bit tired and my muscles were very tense. I guess this had some influence to my "Astral Projection" work. About this I will write in my PDD.

NerdFitness Profile

That sitting position is called kiza and is the standard position for the seated portions of archery, too.  It is an easier position to move from, but it is less formal and more threatening.  Have you guys done shikko (knee walking in kiza)?  I also wonder if your art contains any tatehiza forms (one knee under, one knee up), which I understand was the standard position for sitting in armor.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

The art I'm studying is called Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu/Ninjutsu.
It includes the following schools:

Samurai Ryu-ha:
- Gyokko Ryu Kosshi Jutsu
- Koto Ryu Koppo Jutsu
- Kukishinden Ryu Happo Biken Jutsu
- Takagi Yoshin Ryu Jutai Jutsu - that's the one I was writing about here
- Shinden Fudo Ryu Taijutsu
- Gikan Ryu Koppo Jutsu - actually this school is not been taught till now

Ninja Ryu-ha:
- Togakure Ryu Ninpo
- Gyokushin Ryu Ninpo - actually this school is not been taught till now
- Kumogakure Ryu Ninpo - actually this school is not been taught till now

To answer Your questions, yes we do shikko as well. We have just lately focused on that on one of the last seminars last year.
Tatehiza I haven't seen so far. But that has nothing to say, as we just have started with Takagi Yoshin Ryu. But it is a good point and I will ask my teacher about it!
There is one other sitting position we have and it's called "Fudoza". This is also an informal sitting position which gives you the chance to relaxe a bit.

And thank You for the information that Kiza is also used in Kyudo.

NerdFitness Profile

• Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

That's a position I've seen used by people with bad knees as well.  It's not as stressful as going all the way down.  I didn't realize it until my knee started to give me trouble. Must be that age sneaking in. ;-) 

Thank you for the pictures, that was interesting.

I had not heard of fudoza before.  I looked it up and it seems to be a word only used by bujinkan, but it looks a little similar to tatehiza.  In fudoza, is the right knee on the ground or floating above it?  Either way, in tatehiza we have the right knee higher and the right foot more central, so the legs are not so crossed.  

I also saw a bunjinkan site that used hantachi to name the position which you have described and which I have learned as kiza.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Hmm, we, here in Germany, would say: "Names are like sound and smoke."
For me this counts specially for Japanese words/names as the language is based on syllabus.
In Fudoza the right knee is on the ground and you are sitting actually on your heel which should be placed between your bottom.
Tatehiza I had also looked it up and that was actually the reason why I brought up the Fudoza position, as, in the first run, the two look a bit similar.  :ponder

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-02-09
Was at the training today. We did some techniques were in you dive under the attack and hit your opponent from beneath coming up. In expanding this principle our teacher included also some gripping techniques. Here it was very interesting and intense to see and feel how your awareness is easily influenced through pain. At the gripping techniques the image I had in my mind was that of an eagle gripping some small animals. In the same manner we were gripping muscles.
At the end of the first part of our Wednesday training we took the principles from before with the add-on of trying to see the open spots and hit multiple times. When there were no openings, you tried to create them by your own body movement.
The second part was sword training. As always we started with Suburi. My arms now feel pretty heave today, after having been to Kieser-Training on Tuesday and the sword training!
Then we used the principle of the Nagare no Kata to time and adjust our attacks to a target (the sword of our partner). This exercise included that you draw your sword horizontal and cut the vertical blade of your partner. After this action he would take a step backwards and bring his sword in a horizontal position so you had to perform a vertical downward cut to hit his sword again. This was the preparation for the partner exercise. In this the "attacker" performed a vertical downward drawing and the "defender" tried to counter it with his horizontal draw. When the "defender" was fast enough, he would become the "attacker" and let a vertical downward cut follow. So the former "attacker" becomes the "defender" and had to block this cut. The block would be performed by stepping 45 degree backwards to t he inside of the "attacker". After the block he would then do a cut at the wrist of the sword hand of ht the attacker. In this exercise was everything included what you have to train for swordfights. You needed to be aware of the intention of the attacker to get the right moment to counter his attack. Then, obviously, you needed the right timing and the right distance for being not to close or to fare away from him and last but not least you also needed the right angles to be able to let the other techniques follow.

@zen-ryo - I asked my teacher yesterday about Tatehiza and he said that he also haven't hear of it in Bujinkan. So it seems that we don't use it or at least we do not have a form/Kata which would deal with it.

NerdFitness Profile

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds