Yoshio's Training Diary

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Johannes (Yoshio)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 1423

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

2011-08-11
As I wrote the last time our teacher is currently on holiday and so a colleague of mine and me had to do the teaching. My colleague started with the first part and as his topic he had chosen to work on the Gyokko Ryu Kata Renyo. This Kata is very similar to the Kata Koku. So in a way we were able to use the things we had already trained and learned on Monday.
The second part was then up to me. As the second part on Wednesday always means we are working with weapons I went on to work a bit with the sword. As a start I showed them how to possibly role forward and backward with your Bokken, Katana in your Obi. It was in a way funny to see how such a “small” thing like adding a weapon to a role is changing nearly everything for the people although nothing is actually changing. The only thing you have to adjust is the Katana in your Obi so it is not handicapping you during your role.
At the end or better said as a partner practice I had chosen a combination of Iai and “normal” sword technique and expanded it a bit.
Unfortunately, as training was wearing on, I become in a way tired and was lacking of ideas or inspiration. So at the end I felt like not having been able to give the people the training quality they would have appertained to.

Later, when I had come home, I read an e-mail of my girlfriend which also put me down in a way. She wrote me that she had to work over the weekend and the days I’m off. So we will again not be able to see each other via Skype. It has now already been a month for which I wasn’t able to see her.
Because of the e-mail and the training I went to bed with a feeling of sadness and loneliness. This got even worse in the morning. All my morning exercises didn’t helped me do raise my mood and even meditating was really difficult. Because of that I got to work with a kind of mindset which was quite close to being angry without having a real reason for it.
As I’m now writing this, I do feel a bit better but my mood is still low. Currently the only thing I want to do is going to bed and sleep!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

I have never been trained to roll with the sword on, but the other day I tried it myself.  When I led with the right shoulder, I was able to roll fine with a slight adjustment of the sword and I could keep my left hand on the sword to make sure it didn't come out of the sheath.  However, if I tried rolling on the left shoulder, I ran into all sorts of problems - I could not find a comfortable and safe position to put the sword in and I couldn't keep my hand on my sword.  Do you guys have a technique for rolling with the left shoulder or do you just roll with the right shoulder when wearing your swords?

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Sorry Zen-Ryo Senshi but Your reply made me smile as that had been, more or less, the same problems the guys at the Dojo run into!
But to answer Your question, yes we do roll over both shoulders and that as well forward as backwards. The "trick" is to not see the sword sticking statically in your belt. It will be hard to describe, but I'll do my best.
As a preliminary practice, have you ever tried to roll with using just one hand and then later on without the usage of your hands?
That would be a good start to learn how to roll with any kind of weapon!

But now back to rolling with the sword in your belt by going over the left shoulder.
The key point is to "slide" the sword with it's scabbard in your belt out up to the point where it would line up with your body or where it would come out of your belt.
Then you would do the forward roll over the left shoulder but only using your right arm.
So actually your are "starting" the roll on your left shoulder with the help of the right arm.
During the roll align the sword with your belly or better said place it in front of your belly. I hope this helps!? If not, just ask again and I will try to help.
The more or less same approach is valid for rolling over the right side.
The only difference is, that you are not placing the sword in front of your belly.
Here you have two options, the first would be to "align" the sword to your left arm and do the roll as normal or the second option is to align it with your left arm but stretch out to the left side of your body.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-08-18
A long weekend and some action are now done. But first things first!
On Thursday (2011-08-11) I went to the doctor for a pre-surgical interview for my colonoscopy on the upcoming Wednesday (2011-08-17). What I had to do as a preparation didn’t sound to complicate and so I went home with a good feeling for what there was coming.
On Saturday I expected my mother for a visit. But, as she became ill, she decided to stay at home. This gave me a free Saturday which I really needed to get some things done which had been on my list for a couple of weeks now.
On Sunday I went to a stag party of a study colleague of mine. It was a really relaxed “party”. We met each other after lunchtime and played paintball for a couple of hours. After that we drove to his former home, as he has moved houses now recently, and made there a BBQ in the garden. This was possible as his former house was in the garden of the house of his parents-in-law. At the BBQ we got joined by his future wife and her friends. All in all this was a nice and calm party. In this way it was much more of the type of “(stag) party” I enjoy than that of my brothers.
Monday was a public holiday and so I had the day off. This was good as I came home quite late from the stag party. The day I used for relaxing and doing some minor stuff. In the evening I went to the Dojo to give some training there. This time it was up to me to teach in the first part of the training. As Monday is our Kihon (basic technique day) I focused on rolling, Kamae, blocking and a simple combination in which we were using the things I had shown before. Unexpected my teacher showed up and did the second part of the training himself. But, as I had to do the “preparation” for the surgery on Wednesday, I left training after the first part.
On Tuesday I had to do the “preparation” for the colonoscopy on Wednesday. This meant that I was only allowed to eat a light breakfast in the morning and then nothing for the rest of the time till the surgery. So I had cocoa, orange juice and bananas for breakfast. After that I had to drink at least 2- 3 litre of water or juice or clear soup. As it was quite hot on that day, I stayed with water as the chosen one. In the evening I started to feel hungry and it took me some time to convince myself not to eat anything. For that I promised myself a nice breakfast after the surgery. Additionally I had to start drinking 1 litre of laxative within two hours. I guess the result is easily imaginable!?
Then on Wednesday the surgery was scheduled for 0915 o’clock. This meant for me that I had to get up at 0600 o’clock and drink another litre of this wonderful laxative. But all in all the surgery wasn’t too bad and the result was even better, at least in a way. Because they found nothing and the doctor said that everything he saw looked normal, good and healthy. So now I do not expect anything bad for the final report. But on the other hand it will mean that I really have an irritable bowel syndrome and there is not much I could do to make it become better. So my idea now is after getting the final report/post-surgical interview that I will have another word with my traditional healer if she has any ideas to work on this syndrome.

NerdFitness Profile

• Thank you received: 1833

Jax replied the topic: Re: Yoshio's Training Diary

Look into the probiotics that are made for IBS.  They have a coating that allows them to pass through the stomach and break down in the intestines where they are needed.  I don't know what is available in Germany but you can probably look it up online and find out. 

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Cheers Master Jax, I will do so. Especially as this is a topic (healing) I'm interested in anyway! Let's see what I can find out and what will help me in the end!? For sure I will keep the information up to date in her.

NerdFitness Profile

I'm trying out two different pro-biotics. I'll let you know if I feel significantly better from them. :-)

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Thanks again and as I said, I will do so as well!

NerdFitness Profile

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

2011-08-23
Summer is back, at least for a couple of days! This circumstance is causing me some difficulties. I’m not used to high temperatures anyway but now it is even worse. The last three, four days very not only hot but also very humid. Because of that I had to sweat a lot. To compensate I drunk a lot of tea. So loosing fluid wasn’t a problem but the heat made me feeling tired and out of power. This resulted in that I got much done on the weekend. But a positive side node I’m able to make. I got some of my ironing done, which is good as I already know that I’m out and away on the coming weekend – going back home to see my parents and some friends!

Because of the heat and my lacking of energy I haven’t been to the Dojo yesterday (Monday). Instead I did some research on Pro-biotics and their influence onto the IBS. What I was able to find out till now is, that most likely the Pro-biotics “Bifidobacterium infantis” and the “CE. coli Nissle 1917” might be a good thing to try out. Furthermore I found a study in which they compared Pro-biotic medicine to Pro-biotic food you can get hold of at nearly every supermarket. So my next step will be to see if I can get them at my supermarket of choice and see how I do respond to them.

Besides the riding about the Pro-biotics I found an interesting article how other things might also have some influence on the IBS. Two relatively easy things to try out are:
- first, increasing my sleeping time and make it worthier and
- second, do some relaxing things before going to bed.
The first thing might be a bit difficult for me to achieve as my spare time is limited and because of that I try to expand and use it up to the very last possible bit.
The second one is fairly easy as it would mean that I will try to do some additional meditation before going to bed. In this way I should be able to calm down and empty my mind. I feel that this is necessary as I often lie in my bed, finding no sleep, because my mind is trying to work through all does things happened during the day. This circumstance costs me sometimes up to an hour of sleep. Additionally to the meditation my grandmother and my mother gave me the hint to drink some St. John’s wort tea as this should additionally help to reduce stress. A similar effect might have to drink some milk with honey. Definitively I will give this a try.

But to not get to overenthusiastic – out of what I have read – this all together will take at least 4 to 6 weeks before I might notice a difference. But latest within half a year I should see some benefits of it. If not, I will have to change things again or try something different!

NerdFitness Profile

I haven't been officially diagnosed with IBS, but I have enough symptoms to know something isn't right.  I found out my friend's cause is her body making too much bile. She takes medicine to reduce that.  She also liked a brand of pro-biotics called Pearls.  http://www.pearlsprobiotics.com/   I'm taking the Pearls IC.  I'm also taking another one which I can't find info on at the moment. I'll check when I'm home. 

I read you can also drink peppermint tea to help. It's good for digestion, maybe it'll make a bit of a difference. 

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds