Zen-ryo's training log

• Thank you received: 1474

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Zen-Ryo Senshi, sorry for spamming your PTD.

Jax, you are absolutely right! Unfortunately sometimes it seems to me that in Bujinkan, I can only say it for this martial art as I'm not anymore into others, some people do misunderstand the concept of showing respect to their teachers by more or less reacting spectacular to the actions which the teacher take or perform on them.
There is a huge difference between acknowledge something and overreacting to an action. A very 'impressive' tale for me is the one of a Japanese Shihan, he was 'beaten down' and locked on the ground. Our Soke complemented the other student for his achievement but also asked the Japanese Shihan if the lock is any good to which he replied: "Yes, it is good but if it would be for real, I would accept that my shoulder will break and then beat the other one down."
So, acknowledging a good technique and preventing yourself from injuries is one thing, but making a show out of it is another one.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zen-ryo senshi
  • zen-ryo senshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

It's fine with me. Good discussion is good discussion no matter where it happens.

Finding that fine line between making it realistic and allowing the tori to practice is difficult. Even when you can prevent yourself from getting injured, "resisting" the technique can often be discouraging to the beginner. I enjoy working with my senpai, since they will not let me get away with sloppy technique. But when I work with kouhai I have to be careful not to make the technique too difficult for them to accomplish. I give in a little so that they can see how the technique works and begin to develope the right moves. Then as they get the hang of it, I give them a little more resistance to make them improve the basic technique. But I try to never just give away my body to them. If they are doing a throw, but stop half-way because they think I should fall, I stand back up and say, "you should finish the throw." On the other hand, if I'm doing a pin slowly, kouhai sometimes pull themselves out of my hands in an attempt to finish the pin for me.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Yesterday was a rest day. Today I did:

Sword cuts: 232 total in 5 sets
Pushups: 51 total in 5 sets
Chinups: 13 total in 5 sets
Situps: 41 total in 5 sets

I also got my bokunaginata yesterday. It is a little lighter than I would want (much lighter than a steel naginata), but my sensei would approve since he believes that heavy weapons cause you to develop bad habits. Anyway, I had a lot of fun playing with my new "toy".

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Yesterday was a rest day. Today I did:

Sword cuts: 235 total in 5 sets
Pushups: 53 total in 5 sets
Chinups: 15 total in 5 sets
Situps: 42 total in 5 sets

I'm hitting some sort of plateau. Each of the exercises only increased by 1-3 total reps. Though sword cuts went up the most (3), it is also the largest, so thats really just barely a 1% increase. Pushups went up by almost 4%. Chinups are my weakest and so 2 extra is actually 15%, so I think I did alright there. Finally, 1 sit up is about a 2.5% increase. I'm going to try to manipulate the sets a little and try again on Monday, but then I think I'm going to do a little longer rest before continuing.

I haven't gotten to play much with my new naginata. My ceilings are much too low in the house and we're having a terrible cold snap, so I'm putting off going outside. It should warm up again at the beginning of the week, so maybe I'll be able to go outside with it for a while then.

Now, I'm off to the Japanese sword show to ogle at all the pretty shiny things that I can't have.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I decided to take 2 days rest and see if that would help me break through, but it didn't. Today I did:

Sword cuts: 246 total in 5 sets
Pushups: 53 total in 5 sets
Chinups: 18 total in 5 sets
Situps: 42 total in 5 sets

That's a 5% increase on sword cuts and no increase on pushups and situps. I'll wait a couple of days and see if I just needed a restart day for the past couple days rest to have its benefit.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Have you tried a program like 100 pushups? Or supporting exercises which stimulate the muscles differently?

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Actually, I am using that program as a base for my situps and pushups. Obviously they don't have sword cuts and they haven't published their chinup program to the web yet, so I'm making up numbers based on their other programs for those.

My little break and push through did the job. Today I did:

Sword cuts: 286 total in 5 sets
Pushups: 57 total in 5 sets
Chinups: 22 total in 5 sets
Situps: 51 total in 5 sets

Looking back at my first day doing this, that's more than double on everything. The program I'm working with recommends that every once in a while you test how many you can do all at once. So I think I'll take a couple days' break and see how many I can do of each.

On more specifically Jedi stuff, it should be an interesting weekend with some out of town Jedi visiting and some special events planned for the weekend.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't finish the program before, and now it'll be at least a month before I can start it up again, so this is good information. This may sound silly, but listening to the P90x commercials is what got me thinking about other exercises. They talk about constantly changing exercises so your body doesn't get used to them and create a plateau.

Have fun this weekend! If someone can record any of the seminars, that could be beneficial and interesting. :-)

• Thank you received: 37

inari replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Yes, I'm most interested in hearing how the weekend went.

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Well, it's was an interesting weekend.

Friday I did two hours of Aikido - one hour of jo work and one hour of conditioning (like I described before). Then Saturday I did another two hours (of more regular classes). This old body has been complaining about it ever since!

The regional gathering basically got cancelled. The impetus for this particular regional was a push by the Michigan Jedi, so when they couldn't make an earlier date, we rescheduled. Jedi from a number of other locations had planned to be there, but had to cancel when we changed the date. Then at the last minute, the Michigan Jedi had to cancel on the new date. So it wound up just being a few Chicago Jedi and we cancelled most of the activities. We did, however, add on a viewing of The Avengers, which we all enjoyed greatly. Warning: there are TWO tags. Everyone but the Jedi left the theatre after the first tag, so we were the only ones in our theatre that saw the second.

Then Sunday morning we got up early and did a 2 mile walk for MS. We know of at least one Jedi with MS and there have been recent jumps in treatments, so awareness and fundraising can make a lot of difference. I was dissapointed in the number of Jedi that slept in rather than experience a little discomfort to help those that suffer a lot of discomfort. But those of us that showed up had a great time. And we went to Jedi's Restaurant for brunch afterwards (yes, that's the real name).

Because I was so exhausted and sore from the weekend, I didn't do my test on my physical activities until this morning. I didn't do as well as I had hoped, but it was much better than I was able to do a few weeks ago.

Sword cuts: 66 total in 1 set
Pushups: 10 total in 1 set
Chinups: 7 total in 1 set
Situps: 14 total in 1 set

Doing so few, adding just a couple is a big percentage and my lowest increase was 32% on the sword cuts. As I continue to get stronger, hopefully the number increases will get bigger, too - though I expect the percentages will drop a little.

And now I have an extra tool. I ordered (and received yesterday) a bluetooth heart rate monitor that will work with my phone to help me track my workouts. I think I'm going to try one of the couch to 5k programs to get a little extra cardio.

- 14th Dalai Lama

The following user(s) said Thank You: inari

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds