Zen-ryo's training log

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1923

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

PBS is in the middle of their funding raising session. They played "The Power of Myth" over the weekend. I remember how strongly Campbell's commentary 'clicked' with me back then -- and still does today. The book is well worth having and reading periodically.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zen-ryo senshi
  • zen-ryo senshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

I'm on vacation out of town right now. So most of my physical activity is on hold. However, jogging is something that you can do anywhere, so this morning I went for a jog. The place I went was a nearby nature center with hiking trails. Chicago is flat and cemented and cut up into even blocks. I knew I wouldn't get the same in the rural area I'm in right now. But on the other hand, I reckoned I would get a much more natural environment. The place was beautiful, but all hills. As I looked at the trail map, I could tell I was in for it. They had trails marked as easy, moderate, or strenuous. Not being used to hills, I picked two short "easy" trails and a small spur of "moderate" to connect the two. Easy my @$$! I'm counting those 2 miles as 3!

Anyway, I'm not doing any sort of official workout tomorrow, but I still think I'm going to get a decent workout. The nature center has an adventure course, with a total of like 50 obstacles (rope bridges, net tunnels, balancing poles, etc.). About 15 of them are ziplines, so it should be a lot of fun. My wife and my 15 year old son are both going to come along, too.

It's a really cool place and I would love to have it be the base for a gathering some time. There's no lodging there, but I'm going to try to see if there are any nearby retreat/camp grounds. My favorite thing was that they had some large stone rings on the top of forested hills labeled "council rings".

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

The adventure course was a lot of fun, though my wife got stuck in the middle of one when she couldn't complete an obstacle. The safety system won't allow you to go in reverse, so the staff had to come help her down.

I've been doing a decent job getting back into regular activity. I'm doing aikido fairly regularly again and jogging from time to time. But through aikido I've realized how weak I have gotten, so I'm going to do some building up of some areas. I'll do 4 different exercises, but I'm going to do them all in easier versions until I build up some strength. I'm going to work up to 1000 sword cuts, but I'm using a light sword and doing what I would call a low stance, rather than what I would call a deep stance. I'll be doing pushups from the knees (instead of on my toes). And I'm doing chinups with a chair assist. I'm not doing any sort of "cheat" on the situps, but I'm doing a real simple version on level ground with no weights or anything. I'll start slow and work up to some serious workouts. Today I did:

Sword cuts: 131 total in 5 sets
Pushups: 28 total in 5 sets
Chinups: 10 total in 5 sets
Situps: 21 total in 5 sets

This afternoon I will go to sword class and aikido.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I normally don't post the details of my Aikido classes, but todays was interesting and unusual. We practiced gun disarms today. We ackowledged that attempting these when a real gun is aimed at you is likely foolish and deadly, but we learned a lot about ourselves and our techniques.

What I found most interesting was the effect a gun had on timing. You don't get any mistakes in timing with a gun in play. A lot of people do what I call stutter steps in aikido. Instead of one large and definitive step to move where they need to be, they skip their feet along until they get to the right place. When doing empty-hand techniques with a compliant opponent, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. But even the slowest and most compliant opponents could follow you with the gun and say, "you're dead," if you took more than one move to get into position for your technique.

I think it was eye-opening for a lot of the beginners. And it was fun, too!

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Thank you received: 1474

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Thank You for sharing that Zen-Ryo Senshi.
I guess it is what our teachers in my martial art do mean when they say that we have to get rid of every unnecessary action/movement. Everything which isn't causing a reaction on your opponent or hasn't an effect on him is not doing you any good and therefore you have to get rid of it.
I, personally, found out that this is much easier said than done and because of that such trainings are, as You said it, eye-opening.
So, again, thanks for sharing!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1923

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

"Stutter stepping" also means they are having to think about it too much rather then letting it be instinctive and 'flow'... so you aren't moving until you move. The whole "not telegraphing your punch' kind of thing.

Gun and knife disarming can be dicey and I would think you would have to really know your skill levels to even consider taking that kind of action.

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Yesterday was a rest day. Today I did:

Sword cuts: 165 total in 5 sets
Pushups: 35 total in 5 sets
Chinups: 11 total in 5 sets
Situps: 28 total in 5 sets

Tonight is Aikido weapons and Aikido conditioning. The Aikido conditioning class is an interesting idea and I really like it. Rather than focus on learning throwing and pinning techniques, we focus on being a good uke (receiver). We use simple techniques but do a lot of throws. The uke must get up and attack again quickly and over and over. It's very cardiovascular. We also do some pin techniques, but we don't usually complete the pin. Instead we stop half way and the uke must practice keeping their body "live" so that if the person performing the technique lets go, the uke can stand back up instead of falling to the ground.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Thank you received: 1474

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

This Aikido conditioning class sounds very interesting! It seems to me that this also helps with not becoming the typical martial art Uke whom already 'flies' before you even have touched him. Those Uke we do call in our Dojo Bujinkan Uke and it is funny to watch them, although it isn't funny to have to work with such ones.
Our teacher do give us the advice that you as a Uke never ever have to be silly and that your main goal is attacking the Dori doesn't matter what does happen. It is not the same as your conditioning class but it does help me from becoming this typical dump Uke whom lets happen everything to him after his initial attack.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

After a few days rest due to an over-busy weekend, today I did:

Sword cuts: 210 total in 5 sets
Pushups: 44 total in 5 sets
Chinups: 13 total in 5 sets
Situps: 36 total in 5 sets

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Yoshio, we were always told to be sincere in our attacks. Don't fight something, since that can injure you, but don't just go down either because that doesn't help your training partner.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds