Zen-ryo's training log

• zen-ryo senshi
  • zen-ryo senshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Now that I think about it, I was not accurate.  The P90X discs include two Power 90 workouts and those are the ones I've been doing.

Internal Training class was interesting today.  Today we mostly did exercises (i.e. moving arms and legs in specific rhythmic patterns).  Perhaps it is enough for me for now since my center and my breathing both got disrupted too easily.  I look forward to doing this more.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Yesterday I did P90X stretching in the morning and sword class + Aikido in the evening.  My ankle was hurting yesterday and made Aikido a little tough, but a little rest and it was all better by morning.  I did some more sword work at home this evening.

Normally I'd go to Aikido again tomorrow, but we're going out for my wife's birthday so I'll have to do something earlier in the day.  I also still need to read the Intro and first 2 chapters of Power of Myth for the Chicago Jedi book discussion on Sunday.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Here's my theoretical training schedule:
Monday - Aikido
Tuesday - Internal training
Wednesday - Sword & Aikido
Thursday - Sword
Friday - Aikido Weapons
Saturday - Sword OR Aikido
Sunday - Sword
Each of those is in the afternoon or evening.  I've considered doing some additional cardio or strength training in the mornings, but so far I've only gotten past considering it one morning this year.  I've also had problems making it to class on Mondays and Fridays, but in general, I've done well on the other days.  Last week, though, Jury duty threw off my work schedule and I didn't make any of the classes.

Today I was able to leave work a little early and made it to Internal Training very early.  The Zen practice was still going on, so I joined them for chanting.  We chanted the Heart Sutra and a few others, including the Four Great Vows.  The translation of the Four Great Vows are:

However innumerable all beings are, I vow to save them all.
However inexhaustible my delusions are, I vow to extinguish them all.
However immeasurable the Dharma Teachings are, I vow to master them all.
However endless the Buddha’s Way is, I vow to follow it completely.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Yesterday I made it to sword class and Aikido.  I've been having trouble with seiza lately.  I can sit comfortably in seiza, but when I stand up my ankle has pain.  Therefore I just did all the standing practices in sword class.  Of course, then, in Aikido, they had us do some suwariwaza ("seated techniques" - done from seiza). :P

This morning I did P90X Cardio and Abs.  Failed miserably at keeping up with them, but did get great workouts.  Tonight, I'll be working out my right bicep with low intensity, high rep curls of a whisky glass with friends.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

You should talk to a doctor. Oh wait... ;-)

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I did. ;)  "He" said that it wasn't anything serious, just a little short term strain due to a sudden increase in use.  "He" said I should take it easy on it when it was bothering me.  Of course, when my Aikido instructor said to do suwariwaza, I completely ignored the medical advice.  It wasn't too bad, though.  I think it was good that I had not done more seiza work earlier.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

lol Nice. That's why I chose to ease into running as well. It's a big change for the joints. Now to get back to it since I took time off when life said I didn't have enough time. :-P I think I'll get the bike out at least today because it's cool out but so beautiful. :-)

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

It was an interesting weekend. Friday, I did make it to the aikido sword class and the regular aikido class. Afterwards we sat down and had tapioca with cherries and told stories.

Saturday I didn't do any official exercise, but worked hard during our Chicago Jedi volunteering activity. We went to the Chicago Food Depository and were assigned to labeling and packing cans of green beans. Along with some other volunteers we moved over 7000 cans. Some of the volunteers got to just put a sticker on the can and push it down the table. But I had to carry armfuls of cans across the room. One trip wasn't much, but I moved almost 2000 cans myself and it was quite a workout!

Then to top it off, I went to a Burn's Night party and did a bunch of dancing. I'm still a little sore from all the activity on Saturday. But I did get to bring home one of the extra haggises (hagges?) so I am very happy about that.

I took Sunday and Monday off of exercising, and should be back on schedule tomorrow. But for tonight, I went to a special event for the Japanese garden that I am on the board of and I got to meet and have a brief conversation with the Consul General of Japan.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I did not get back on track last week until Friday. Friday morning I did P90X Cardio Intervals and Ab Ripper X. Then I did Aikido Saturday, Monday, and Wednesday this week. Plus Internal training on Tuesday and sword class on Wednesday before Aikido. I took the day off yesterday, but my sore legs are still begging me not to go to the two Aikido classes tonight. I won't be making it to any classes for the next two days, so I think I'm going to ignore them and finish out the week. However, that doesn't mean that I won't be doing any physical activity over the weekend - tomorrow the Chicago Jedi are going to do some archery, but that doesn't work the legs out, so it'll be a nice break.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

The journal keeps getting away from me. I didn't realize it had been so long.

Archery went very well. We had a couple of youngsters join us and they really enjoyed it. Afterwards we went to see Phantom Menace 3D. It was OK. The 3D was interesting and had some good moments, but I didn't feel like it added much. On the other hand, we had a corner of the theatre to ourselves and had a great time doing a MST3K type commentary.

Aikido is going well. It feels so good to be out of breath and soaked with sweat at the end of a class. And I can feel that I'm getting through class a little easier now.

This week I need to read chapter 2 of The Power of Myth for the Chicago Jedi book discussion this Sunday.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds