Zen-ryo's training log

• zen-ryo senshi
  • zen-ryo senshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

No running today.  But I did go to sword class after seeing patients, so I wasn't completely slacking off.  Now I need to go finish preparing for teaching zazen tomorrow (if anyone shows up).

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows
  • Thank you received: 455

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

I got an email about that meet up.  Do you have anything written up on that you'd be willing to share? I find that practice interesting, and that would be something I'd like to bring to the NOVA Chapter if I can ever get organized enough to get it running (crosses fingers for January)

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I printed up a little check list of things to make sure are in place as you prepare to sit.   I'd be happy to send it to you.  Let me see what I can figure out.

The session went well.  We had a casual but informative discussion on what zazen is and how it came about.  Then we went over detailed instructions for how to minimize the distractions for beginners (like how to sit comfortably for long periods and how to keep your mind flowing).  Then we did a 5-minute group meditation followed by a short break and another meditation lasting 10 minutes.  It seemed like everyone learned some new information and some new techniques and everyone seemed pleased with the experience.

I'm so relieved that it went well.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Ran a mile and a half again today (interspersed with walking - a total of 2.5 miles in 45 minutes).  I was thinking about the 5Ks I used to do.  I've got a lot of training to do before I'm ready for that again, but I've got all winter, so I'm hoping to start up the 5Ks again in the spring.  After work I went to sword class.  Now I'm off to a Christmas party.  Let's hope that I can keep myself from eating more calories in this one meal than I burned off in all my exercise.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows

Are you running outside or do you go to a gym?  I've been wanting to at least do some sort of cardio but its already too cold for me hahah...yea I'm a wimp ;D

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I've been running outside.  I'm wearing track pants, a long sleeve shirt covered by a sweatshirt.  I'm also wearing a winter cap and gloves.  And I'm wearing my thickest socks, too.  It's been above freezing the last couple of times, but now it's dropped below freezing.  I think I'll add longjohns for the next one (tomorrow morning, theoretically).  I'm contemplating a scarf, too, but those get more annoying then helpful when they get coated in ice from the moisture in your breath.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows

Interesting...lol  :)  I think I'll stick with trying to do something inside for now, lol.  My dad's an avid runner so he'll go running no matter what the weather,  I guess I just never cared for it that much. 

• Thank you received: 1474

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

What I do prefer in winter for running outside is a polo-neck sweater. You may try thisone!? And it is right, a scarf can be quite annoying. I use one for riding my bicycle and I don't like it when it slips open in the front and so doesn't be a protection for my throat anymore.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

We had some really cold days and I haven't been running outside any more.  But we'll have some nice warm ones at the end of the week, so maybe I'll go out for a day or two.  So instead I've been doing some P90X in the mornings, but only a couple of times a week.  I also went to Aikido tonight for the first training of the year.  My hope is to do something just about every morning (P90X or run or something) and Aikido or sword (or both) most nights.  Tomorrow night I won't be able to make it to Aikido, but there's a ki training class afterwards that I might be able to make.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

I think p90x is way more intimidating than running. So hats off to you! And thank you for inspiring me to take up running again. I'm enjoying it quite a lot. :-)

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds