Zen-ryo's training log

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Good job! My chiro asked the other day if I started back up and had to say no. My schedule is just so busy. :-P

Sounds like a nice day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zen-ryo senshi
  • zen-ryo senshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Actually, I did it three times this week (including this morning).  Now I'm going to take a couple of days rest.  My legs were complaining a little this morning, so I know they'll appreciate the break.  And when I come back next week I think I'll extend things a bit - I'm planning to do 2.5 miles, still walking about 1 mile of it, but interspersing 1.5 block jogs.  The dojo has been closed this week because of the holidays and I'm wondering how my body will react to trying to do both the running and martial arts in the same week.

Anyway, most of the rest of the day was spent between grocery shopping and getting the church finances ready for the end of the year.  Now to do my Japanese studies....

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Good job! :-)

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

It was an interesting run this morning.  First few paces, my legs were saying, "Oh no!  Come on!  Not this again."  But they quickly fell into the rhythm and were still ready for more at the end of the run.  My lungs, however, were not happy.  I don't know if it was the cold whether or the fact that I was running against a strong wind or just that I didn't give them enough of a rest, but by the end of the first block I was puffing worse than any of the runs last week.  But I kept going and completed all my block-and-a-half intervals.  I was originally thinking that next week I would reduce the length of the walking intervals, but my lungs were still begging for more rest at the end of each one as it was.  Now I'm thinking that next week I'll extend my run intervals again instead.  But I have the rest of the week to make the decision, so we'll see how the rest of my runs go.

While jogging I happened to notice how fat the squirrels are getting.  It seems like the red squirrels are fatter than the grey squirrels.  Probably just a genetic difference, but I thought it was interesting.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Have you learned about the chi running method yet? It's beneficial no matter how you run. The techniques make an instant improvement on your technique reducing the effort it takes to run. I think you'll find it really beneficial. I have the book and the DVD. But there are a lot of good videos on youtube that are from the creators and free. I recommend learning about the torso tilt/lean thing, the hip motion which will lengthen your stride without any extra energy expenditure, and where you strike with your foot which reduces the stress on the joints. I practice some of the techniques when I walk around so when I start running again it's easier.

• Thank you received: 1474

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Zen-Ryo Senshi, I would like to give You the same advise I gave my ex as she had started to run - by the way, she is now doing Marathon running.
When you start to run, take your time! There is nothing gained by overdoing it at the beginning and stop just after a while because you get some problems. The real important things on starting to run regularly are to do it at least for 30 min. and to keep moving. By keep moving, I do mean, if you can't keep your chosen pace of jogging reduce it to a level you can but don't change the actual type of motion. I have experienced myself that putting in some intervals of walking into a jogging exercise didn't do me any favour. In my opinion, doing some walking between the jogging parts make it just harder and harder to start running again.
Maybe or better said hopefully it will help you to reduce the pace to a level which you can hold and getting rid of the walking parts.
Ah and don't care about the distance! It will increase with practice!  ;)

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Yoshio, the intervals is to help build the lungs. For a person who doesn't have any real lung problems and starts from an ok level of fitness they can probably run longer and their muscles give out before their lungs. But in my case I have to stop before a quarter mile or I run the risk of a full on asthma attack. I push myself too hard most of the time when I run. The walking is also required to get my heart rate back down to a reasonable level since it quickly pushes to the 80-90% max heart range when I run. Walking, to be effective, has to be at a decent pace though or you aren't bringing your body back down in a safe manner.  I don't know Zen-ryo's reasoning, but I give mine as an example. Every running program I've seen focuses on intervals which gradually expand to more running and less walking to build up the lungs and heart. I don't see how it's possible to not do it and get any real work done.

• Thank you received: 1474

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

First of all sorry to Zen-Ryo Senshi for "hijacking" the thread!
Then sorry to You, Master Jax, this is a perfect example that I started from my own physical ability to explain my experiences. You absolutely right, that, if you have some problems, that this would change everything. But on the other hand, I don't see my explanation too different form the running-walking-interval approach.
What I was taught at the sport school I had been to, although I have to admit that this is now already ages ago, is, that it is important to keep the kind of motion, movement the same as walking and jogging/running are different.
If you have issues with running as it would stress your body too much, it might be a good idea to give Nordic Walking a try!?

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Don't worry about "hijacking" my thread.  I'm excited to have some activity in here.

I have never had any problems with pain or injuries.  If I do talk about pain, I usually mean sore or tired muscles, etc.  It's been a little while, now, since I've done any running or even any good cardio.  Therefore, my legs are complaining that I am using muscles that haven't been used in a while, including my heart and lungs.  I have only recently started paying any attention to how I run, and I already do something similar to "barefoot running", "pose running", and "chi running", but the videos all put me to sleep, so I haven't done enough research to see if there's still some improvement I could be doing.  Since pain and injury have never been a problem for me, I'm not very motivated to do the research.

As for distance and time, I find it much easier to track my distance than my time, so that's why I've been giving my distances.  I don't even know what my times have been, nor do I care.  However, since I've let so much time pass since I last ran on a regular basis, I guarantee I can't keep up a jogging pace for the 30 minutes you have recommended.  Thus I am doing intervals.  I'm not necessarily doing this for weight-loss (though I could definitely use some), but intervals are recommended for optimizing weight-loss, so I'm not disappointed that I have to do intervals right now.

However, I am disappointed that I couldn't bring myself to run this morning.  A combination of below freezing temps and not enough sleep.  Tomorrow I get to sleep in, so I'll try again.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

As I was getting ready to run this morning I was thinking ahead to what else I needed to do today.  Suddenly it occurred to me that my PO Box and bank are about the same distance as the half-way point of my run.  It turned out to be a little further, so with the round trip I actually did almost 3 miles today (in intervals of 1.5 blocks running and 1 block walking).  And I picked up my mail and made a deposit while I was at it.

Lungs and legs both did well for the distance I had gone on Tuesday.  Lungs were easier today and I wasn't really all that tired at the end of the run.  However, the extra distance really strained my calves.  They're begging for a rest right now, but we'll see how I feel Sunday (and how early I wake up too, since I have to be at church in time to run bible study).  Meanwhile I'll do a lot of stretching between now and then.

After getting some more chores and errands done, I went to the senior trombone recital of one of the guys that has come to a couple of the Chicago Jedi activities.  It was an enjoyable way to end the day.  Now back to work tomorrow.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds