Zen-ryo's training log

• Thank you received: 80

Taijibum replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Its funny that you would like the balance and I love the extremes. They don't test "existential intelligence" either which is one of the multiple intelligences which would equate with force sensitivity in my opinion.

Do you know your IQ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zen-ryo senshi
  • zen-ryo senshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

I don't actually know my IQ. When I've taken tests that are supposed to estimate your IQ, I've done very well, but I don't even remember their estimates.

Last Tuesday and Wednesday I didn't wind up doing any exercises because I was too busy getting ready for my trip. Our seminar started on Thursday and I did 6 hours of low stances without much trouble. I also learned another jutte kata on Thursday. Friday I was up early and bored, so I decided to go for a jog on the San Diego shoreline. I kept my heart-rate in the 85% range, but on the up-hills that was usually walking. I went about 40 minutes, but I don't know how far it was 'cause my GPS went screwy and said it was 23 miles. With the up-hills, it could have reasonably been 2.3 miles. I was wondering if I would feel it more in my legs for the 6 hours of training on Friday, but I basically couldn't tell the difference. However, on Saturday and Sunday, my legs were screaming at me. Not really painful or even really tired, just saying, "enough with these low stances already." And I got another jutte kata on Friday, too. It's always fun to get new kata, but much more valuable to me were the refining of all the kata I have. It's almost like learning a whole new set of kata and it makes the two new ones like just more for me to practice badly while trying to make good the ones I have.

But now I'm home and ready to go back to work. Hopefully I'm well rested enough after the weekend so that I can get up early and back into my exercise routine tomorrow.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I didn't get right back into my exercise routine as I had hoped. I was still recovering from the weekend seminar on Tuesday and Wednesday. Though Wednesday evening I figured I sort of needed to break back into activity and went ahead to Sword and Aikido. It's a test prep week so Aikido was more fun than usual anyway.

Then Thursday I got up and did a max reps "test" workout. I did:
Sword Cuts: 118
Pushups: 13
Chinups: 8
Situps: 17

For each of those it was close to the most I had ever done in one set, but not actually the most I had ever done in one set. But since I hadn't actually done those specific exercises in almost 2 weeks I'm pleased.

Today I went for a jog keeping my heart rate around 85%. I did 43 minutes including warm up, cool down, and short stops at the bank and at the post office. I took some diagonals this time and it shortened my route to 3.08 miles. I think next time I'll follow the grid again since that distance was almost exactly 5K.

Tonight I have Aikido weapons and Aikido Test Prep. I haven't yet decided what to do tomorrow or whether to do it before or after work. But Sunday, I'll start a new plan for the exercises listed above.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Last week I didn't get back to my full routine as I had hoped. Mostly because I was going to bed too late. However, I did go to sword class and Aikido on Wednesday and Aikido weapons and conditioning on Friday. Saturday was a public appearance with stage performance of the Chicago Jedi. Being up on stage wasn't really strenuous, but it was hot and it lasted a while, so I got a very light workout. That plus 20 minutes straight of playing Taiko no Tatsujin might count for something.

Sunday I resumed my workout:
Sword Cuts: 355 total in 5 sets
Pushups: 47 total in 5 sets
Chinups: 24 total in 5 sets
Situps: 41 total in 5 sets

I am not specifically trying to loose weight, but I am tracking my weight, and I wouldn't mind having to lift a little less weight during the pushups, chinups, and situps. On the other hand, if I start doing some sumo, I'll be sorry to have lost the mass. In any case, in the last month I have lost 5 pounds. My calculations state that I have gained 3 pounds of lean weight, so it's really 8 pounds of fat lost.

This morning I went for a jog. I was using a new program and forgot to turn on my GPS. But I did 30 minutes (not including warm up and cool down and no stops this time) with my heart rate at 85%. Hopefully, I'll get out of work early enough and traffic will be light enough that I can make it to Aikido tonight.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds