Zen-ryo's training log

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows
  • Thank you received: 455

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Funny you mention P90x...I did an off shoot of that by Tony Horton called 10 minute trainer, I found it very rewarding (when I did it) lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zen-ryo senshi
  • zen-ryo senshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

I find that my house is not set up well for DVD training.  We have a few TVs, but none are well set up for doing training in front of.  I can't exercise in the bedroom due to furniture and the frequent occurrence that I want to exercise while my wife is sleeping.  The kitchen is also has little room and doesn't have a DVD player.  The basement ceiling won't allow me to lift my arms above my head.  The best place to do it is with our projector in the living room, but that has to be set up before I can use it and broken down afterwards.  But I really enjoyed Tony Horton's workouts when I was doing them.

Anyway, on to today's workout.  Chin-ups and Sit-ups today went a little better.  First set of each exercise started off easy, but I was barely able to squeeze out the last set - got in one extra at the end of each.  So 26 total chin-ups (with a chair) and 73 total sit-ups.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I will definitely have to repeat this week's push-ups next week. I only did 60 today. That's still 5 better than Monday, but 11 short of the goal for today.  I'll go ahead and finish out the week on Friday and maybe after a couple days of rest I'll be able to retry Monday's sets and finish them.

The squats are still doing well, though I can see that we're getting into the right range for me now, since I'm getting fewer and fewer extra. Only 3 extra today for a total of 99.  If I would have known my total when I was doing my last set I might have struggled harder to get that 100th.  That leaves me something to strive for on Friday, though Friday's total is supposed to be 109, so I guess I'll be well over 100.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Chin-ups and Sit-ups continue to progress at the rate suggested by the program.  28 chin-ups (with a chair) today.  83 sit-ups.  It's exciting to see those numbers climbing.

I'm trying to figure out now how to do my 2nd-week test.  The website only says, "Perform this test within a couple of days of completing Week 2."  But I only have 2 days of rest before week 3 begins.  It seems I have a few choices, but I can't figure out which would be best and want to see if any of you have some knowledge that might help.  If I wait 2 days to do my test, then my muscles will not have gotten their full rest and I'm going to have trouble keeping up again next week.  On the other end of the spectrum, since I do my exercises in the morning, I could do my test in the evening on day 3 of week 2.  That isn't likely to show what a rested exhaustion test would show, but it will allow me to still get a full 2-day rest.  I could also try to split the difference and do the test in 1 day.  I'm leaning towards doing the test on day 3.  It means that my test won't be as good as it could, but the worst result of that would be that I wind up in a lower category next week, meaning that my goals would be lower (which might be what I need anyway).  Any other ideas out there?

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Thank you received: 76

Beral Khan replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

I think day 3 is a good day to do the test. You've also inspired me to start doing basic exercises as well. :)  For this, I thank you.

I used to trust my force of Will.
Now I trust in the will of the Force.

Jedi Communication? Well its removing assumptions, questioning the absolutes, and asking for clarity of statements.

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Glad I could inspire you.  It's been fun, and easy to keep up with (if not always so easy to do).

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Today's push-ups were terrible. Last set was supposed to be 20, and I did 8. Total of 75. Still improving, but definitely not on track for 100 without a break in 6-weeks.

Squats were fine, but for starting off so easy at the beginning of week 1, they sure have gotten difficult at the end of week 2. 114 total. I'll do the test tonight and report back.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I did my push-up and squat tests tonight and it was miserable.  I squeezed out 20 push-ups (on my knees), but that's only 6 more than I started with.  And my squats went down 9 to 45.

If I move on to week 3, that puts me down two columns in push-ups, but still keeps me at the highest level for squats.  So I think for push-ups I'll repeat week 2 on my knees.  But for squats I'm going to go on with week 3.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

It sounds to me like you need more rest time for your body. 

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I agree.  I've been thinking about it a little more and I think I'm going to take the next week off from the exercises.  I'll do 20 minutes of cardio every day when I would have done my exercises.  And after a few days, I'll do my tests.  Then a few more days of rest before I begin the next 2 week period.

Today I did 31 chin-ups and 92 sit-ups.  And that's it for the first 2 weeks.  I have sword class later today and then a day of rest tomorrow.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds