Zen-ryo's training log

• zen-ryo senshi
  • zen-ryo senshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi created the topic: Zen-ryo's training log

I've started a new physical training routine and thought I would also post it here in case anyone wants to join in remotely.  The program can be found online and includes a 100 push-ups challenge ( hundredpushups.com ), a 200 squats challenge ( www.twohundredsquats.com ), and a 200 sit-ups challenge ( www.twohundredsitups.com ).  I've also created a 50 chin-ups challenge for myself.  I'm a few days into the program so I'll repost my daily progress here.  If anyone wants to join in, please do.  We don't have to be perfectly in sync.  In face it sounds like it's not unusual for people to repeat weeks, so even if we had been in sync we could wind up getting out of sync.

Last Thursday I did the push-up and squat tests. I was concerned about my push-ups and so did them with my knees down. I did 14 which put me at level 3. Perhaps I could have done 6 or more with my legs straight, but the official site says level 3 is a good place to start, so it'll work. Maybe after week 2 I'll come back and start over with my legs straight.

I also did the squats test. I did 54. That put me over the top level even if I was under 30 y/o. I guess the low stances for martial arts have strengthened my lower body more than my upper body. The official site recommends that perhaps I need a tougher plan, but I'll follow along with this program anyway so I can get to 200.

On Friday I did my sit-up and chin-up tests.  My sit-up test resulted in only 20 which puts me at Poor. I tried doing just a straight chin-up earlier in the week and couldn't get myself all the way up to the bar. So for my test I put my foot on a chair to take some of the weight off. If you try this, make sure to put one foot on and don't push with it. The other foot should be hanging down so in case you fall it can catch you. Anyway, I did 5 chin-ups.

So I started Monday with the far right columns of Week 1 of the push-ups (with my kness down) and the squats. And on Tuesday I started with the middle column of the sit-ups. For chin-ups I'm using the middle column of the push-ups, dividing all numbers in half and rounding up. I'm alternating sets with about 30 seconds between.

Monday I did a total of 45 push-ups in 5 sets exactly as outlined in week 1. I noticed that my column says if you only did 11 push-ups in the test, you should do 12 push-ups in your second set.  Fortunately I had done 14 in the test and was just able to eek out those 12 and the remaining.

For squats, I upped the ante a little. I held my arms out the whole time to get a little extra shoulder burn and did a calf-raise at the top of each squat. I really felt the shoulders, but didn't even feel the calves until my last couple squats of the morning. Did 24 for my last set, so a total of 71.

On Tuesday, my triceps were reminding me that I haven't done a good workout in a while, but my pecs and quads weren't so impressed and were asking for more.  But they would have to wait as it was time for 14 chin-ups in 5 sets with my foot on a chair and 41 sit-ups in 5 sets.

And now I've caught you up to today, Day 3 (Day 2 of push-ups and squats): 50 push-ups in 5 sets - it took my full ki to get that 50th one out. 89 squats in 5 sets - during the second set, I forgot to stop at my goal and did some extra. There was no chance of that with my push-ups.

I have sword class this afternoon. We'll see if I'll just be jelly or if I'll be able to keep up.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Sword class didn't go too bad.  I didn't even notice a difference during class - though my legs were a little more tired than usual after class.

Today was Day 2 of chin-ups (17 in 5 sets with my foot on a chair) and sit-ups (52 in 5 sets).  The chin-ups were tough and the sit-ups were painful, but I'm keeping up with the plan.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

20 chin-ups today (with the assist of a chair). 68 sit-ups. Week 1 complete! On to week 2 on Monday!  Anyone going to join in next week?

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

good work! Umm...I should say yes, but realistically, probably not.  Perhaps I'll give some pushups and situps a try tonight though.  Phoenix and I worked on them for a few weeks a while back and then lost our focus.  I really do need to get back to it though.  So maybe... I'll post if I do though!

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Each area of exercise only takes 10 minutes 3 times per week.  I've added in chin-ups and it's only taking about 20 minutes a day.  I hope you can join in.

- 14th Dalai Lama

I don't have a chin up option without going somewhere.  I'll do some exercises right now, post them in my blog.  Hopefully soon my wife will be at the point in her physical therapy where we can go to the small exercise room in our apartment complex.  How are you feeling physically?  Any soreness?

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Week 2 begins.

Jax, the chin-up thing is the most complicated.  One of the ideas behind the 100 push-ups, 200 sit-ups, and 200 squats programs is that no equipment is needed.  Equipment is needed for chin-ups, so it looks like they decided not to do it.  But I decided that their program was incomplete for my desires and so created my own.  My triceps were very sore for a few days after my first day of push-ups and I had very minor and short-lived soreness in my pecs and traps.  After sword class on Wednesday, my legs were a little more tired than usual, but I didn't notice anything after class on Saturday.  Other than that I have not really noticed any differences in my life.

Today my chest and arms immediately began to complain about the push-ups.  They wanted more rest.  I didn't complete the last set, but I still did 55 total.  I think I'll keep going with the week, even though I may not finish the last set each day.  I was thinking I'd restart on toes next week, but maybe I'll repeat this week on my knees instead.  We'll see what I want to do when I get there.

Squats are feeling more like exercise now.  Squeezed out 6 extra for a total of 90.

I notice that my totals are not any better than what I did on day 3 of week 1.  I would have thought the rest would have helped me get a few more.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Don't be afraid to give them more rest.  If you push too hard you end up weaker rather than stronger.  In general muscles should have a day off between workouts to fully heal.  But, if you aren't working them hard each day it's probably fine, just listen to your body. :-)  My chest is a little sore today, but that'll pass. 

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows
  • Thank you received: 455

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re: Zen-ryo's training log

Even if I'm not doing my exercises, I should at least be doing this; sometimes just the basics are good enough for me.  I'll have to see if time permits tonight to work on these.  Thanks for reminding me zen ryo *bows*

• zen-ryo senshi
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Thanks for reminding me zen ryo *bows*

:returns the bow

These exercises are great because they require no special equipment and not much time, but can give you a good workout.  Of course, this program doesn't work as a life-style change, just a short-term challenge.  I'm hoping that it will get me back into the habit and I'll start throwing in the P90X DVDs again.  Then I can just return to these exercises when I can't get in a full workout or if I'm on vacation or something.

- 14th Dalai Lama

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds