Rivan Elan's Training Journal

• Rivan Elan
  • Rivan Elan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Rivan Elan created the topic: Rivan Elan's Training Journal

Just on break at work but I thought that the longest journey begins with but a single step. So starting this journal here is that step.

Rivan Elan, Jedi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rivan Elan

Rivan Elan replied the topic: Rivan Elan's Training Journal 20091020

I have found over the years that keeping all things balanced is difficult for me. I have a tendency to want to totally immerse myself in a subject and learn everything I can on it.

In doing so I tend to get a bit off balance because I neglect other aspects.  The Jedi path is so eclectic there are many many things to learn and hold in tension.  Over the past 3 years I have gotten better but the underlying tendency seems to be part of who I am.  Now I set aside time to immerse myself and also remind myself to not ignore other things as I do.

As I was reading today in Persimmon Wind I noticed that the Ryu concept of Japanese Martial arts could serve the Jedi well as we begin to grow and form in diverse areas.  There is so much that cannot be covered online...

Rivan Elan, Jedi

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Re: Rivan Elan's Training Journal

That's why knighthood requires outside training in different elements of interest, because it can't be taught off line.  Plus, it's a good gauge to see how serious someone is, whether they direct their own training or wait for someone to tell them what to do.  I agree, it's hard to train everything, it seems like no matter what you do you're always missing something else! lol We need to gain expertise in some areas anyway, so focusing is good.  Do you have any strategies that allow you to train some of those less worked areas, or have you just kinda stumbled along and realized you picked things up along the way while focusing more intently on your main areas?

• Thank you received: 37

inari replied the topic: Re: Rivan Elan's Training Journal

Ryu = school...can you clarify what you mean by this?

• Rivan Elan

Rivan Elan replied the topic: Re: Rivan Elan's Training Journal

Ryu = school...can you clarify what you mean by this?

Hi Inari.  What I mean is that there are so many different ways to explore the Jedi Way. There are commonalities but each one is different. When we get to a point where there are Jedi Praexum around the world I would seriously doubt if they will have a standardized curriculum.  Everyone has their own ideas and they seem to want to hang onto them more than they want to see a single Jedi Order.  At that point I would see something like the protestant denominations where there are different groups that generally agree but may vigorously disagree on certain points. Id Est: "Sprinkling isn't baptism, its not real unless you are baptised by immersion" or "why do you follow what the Pope says?" stuff like that.

That is a negative path that we could end up on.

A more positive path would be to follow the idea of the Ryu in Japan.  In Martial Arts, Gardening, etc. there are specific Ryu's that bear the stamp (attitudes techniques etc) of their first founders.  They are taught to others who join the Ryu and are passed down through the ages as people gain more expertise. For instance the Shikagu Ryu as different styles of bladework and different ways they use to trick an opponent into going for what looks like an opening when it is actually just a trap.

Each of the schools recognize that they are Gardeners Martial Artists whatever but the way they live that out bears the mark of the school where they learned and practiced.  It is this daily practice that will make the variations that you see in a Ryu in martial arts.  Even if everyone started at the Institute the "flavor" of practice would vary from Praexum to Praexum (or Enclave if you prefer).

I had a Catholic priest once tell me that the reformation was the best thing that could have happened to Christianity because if preserved variations in the Christian Faith through the denominations that would have been completely obliterated when everything became standardized by Rome.  This points to a potential weakness for the Jedi if we ever did form an Order that sought to Standardize things.  For everything you choose you are leaving other things out and you lose much of the potential for "cross pollination" of ideas.

Rivan Elan, Jedi

• Rivan Elan

Rivan Elan replied the topic: Re: Rivan Elan's Training Journal

I agree, it's hard to train everything, it seems like no matter what you do you're always missing something else! lol We need to gain expertise in some areas anyway, so focusing is good.  Do you have any strategies that allow you to train some of those less worked areas, or have you just kinda stumbled along and realized you picked things up along the way while focusing more intently on your main areas?

Hi Jax,

I love the way you put that "it seems like no matter what you do you're always missing something else!"

That is so true!

The rest are vary good questions.  I try to balance out my training.  For instance Martial Arts is always a part but right now I am reading Persimmon Wind; A Martial Artists Journey Through Japan and it
gave me an idea of how the concept of the Ryu might be used for the Jedi. It has also given me more insigth into Martial Philosophies.

Once I am done with this book I will be concentrating or Reiki and Chakras and have a couple books on that I want to read. After that there is a book on energy work and taking what I find from that and incorporate it into my life.  Then I will hit more of some devotional type works.

So in answer to your question there are things I concentrate on (trying to broaden my understanding to new areas when possible) and those things that I "keep up with" to maintain what I have already acquired.  I must say I do not always keep up with things as well as I would like.

Rivan Elan, Jedi

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds