Magdelene's new training journal

• Magdelene Nashira
  • Magdelene Nashira's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5

Magdelene Nashira replied the topic: Re: Magdelene's new training journal

Interesting to read over my old journal posts.  I have been steadily getting better about Bible reading and prayer.  I can see now that I really shouldn't look at it on one day and decide that is the overall.  When you look at what you've been doing over a longer period of time you can see more of what the trend is.  Maybe I'm not where I'd like to be with it, but I feel I'm definitely getting better.  This is also a time when I'm trying to get a lot of bad habits corrected at the same time with Mom being down and business and money issues taking up my time, so overall I guess I'm not doing so bad.  Just have to keep getting back up again.

Dark Side of the Light Chasers - I think I did talk about some examples in the book review post, but you probably saw that by now.  If I didn't talk about it, they were basically things to do by writing and journaling, etc, rather than physical exercises.

"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." - Kurt Cobain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1848

Jax replied the topic: Re: Magdelene's new training journal

Yes, exactly! Now you see the importance of perspective.  In the short term we almost never see growth because it is slow.  Some people can go their whole lives without an 'aha' moment that propels them forward.  Therefore survival requires the ability to look at things long term and realize there has been growth that makes it all worthwhile. :-)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1892

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Magdelene's new training journal

The Bible... my ex has been ordained as a minister for 16 years now?  And still, she finds new meaning in 'old passages'... or asks me what I think about some other one she is looking at for a sermon. 

As we grow and change, the 'meaning' changes too.  What spoke loudly 'then' might not make you blink an eye now... while another bit which you glossed over before suddenly jumps out at you and shakes you soundly.  For being a bunch of writings cut and pasted (well, they didn't do it that way back then but...) it still holds up for some interesting reading and insights.

(I always chuckle at the three genesis stories in the first page or so...  mostly because I had to help translate it from the original Hebrew and Greek when the ex was in seminary.  Greek I can live with; Hebrew is ... almost like a Star Wars galactic dialect at times!)

heh.. kind of the same for looking over old journal entries.
I still have times when I go back on the IJRS threads and read something and have to triple check... did *I* write that?  And where did *that* come from?!?

We grow, we change, we hopefully find meaning along the 'way'.

• Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re: Magdelene's new training journal

Oh yes definately - it's why I am such a proponent of a Jedi Training Journal...

Perspective, the quest for insight, the honing of observation, the recording of work/thought... 

I've also found that having others comment on my training journals adds additional insight from other perspectives. :)

• Magdelene Nashira

Wow! I looked and it's been a year since I last posted in this journal! :silly:
Anyway, I've been gone a long time. I guess you might say I kind of gave up on the Jedi path. I was too overwhelmed with everything going on in my life and there just wasn't time or energy to deal with it. I began to ask myself if things weren't changing for me then what says it was a successful path in the first place? But I was kind of looking at some of my writings in the library and realized that, yeah, I did learn a lot and experienced growth through my Jedi days. I also made a lot of mistakes and discovered a lot more about my flaws, the flaws of others, and the flaws of the Jedi world and the outer world. But perhaps I got to focusing too much on the negative. Anyway, all I know is that at one point I just decided I was no Jedi, nore is there any such thing. So I just sort of quit. I have kept in touch with Streen, however, and I just decided to peep in here today after having responded to an email conversation with him. For some reason my curiosity just piqued. Then as I was reading through some of the things in the forums and library, it occured to me that a Jedi is still a human and what I've been experiencing for the last year or so is a normal human response to the situation around me. I've been through a lot in the last several years, some of which I've talked about on site, but a lot I have not. So, yeah - stress runneth over.

Anyway - training journal. Lately I found a site called "lose it.com". I love it because you can input your food and calories for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, and also what exercise you do. Then it tells you how many calories you have left in the day. When you sign up they ask you your details (man, woman, age, etc.) and you set a goal. As you make entries it tells you how you are doing toward that goal, breaks your nutrition into a pie graph, has long term shot of your exercise and eating. I've found it very valuable. Of course, the only thing is you have to struggle with keeping up with it. Involves a lot of record keeping. I'm trying to at least write on paper if I'm not going to be online for a while. I had a few days that I skipped and by the time I got back online couldn't remember what I ate, etc. But even with that it has given me a much better guide than me just hip shooting and thinking everything is ducky when in fact there are things I'm not thinking about and aware of. For example, the pie graph showed me low in iron. Something that very much surprised me because I thought I ate a lot of meat. - Not! That could explain why I'm constantly feeling tired all the time and why the energy I have doesn't seem to last the day.

The other thing I'm waiting on is a test the doctor ordered for sleep apnea. So that could be another cause.

Ok, well, I guess that's basically updated. - Next time!

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1892

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Magdelene's new training journal

Hey Magdelene ! Welcome back.. or welcome still or... Hi !

Yes, you are not the only one who leaves and comes back and leaves again but someday returns. I think it is part of the process; taking time to really examine the bits and see what works or not and if it is all worth the time and effort. No matter what; it is growth and 'that' is a good thing.

Glad to see you 'around' again.

• Thank you received: 1848

Jax replied the topic: Re: Magdelene's new training journal

Yes, welcome back! I'm not sure why people forget that this is a new path, with its own growing pains, made by humans and subject to the same flaws. I'm glad you're understanding that though. We have to balance idealism with realism. The idealism propels us forward in growth, the realism provides the patience to accept the stumbles along the way. :-)

Are you handling stress better now? Or at least reducing the amount of stress coming in so it is more manageable?

• Magdelene Nashira

Thanks for the welcomes guys!
As to the stress question - well, yeah, I guess it's getting a little more manageable. The situation with my Mom getting better helped a lot. She had a bone spur pressing on a nerve in her back and had to have an operation. But she's fully recovered now, so that stress being gone helps. But I'm still working on it. Still working on medical conditions that trouble me too.

• Thank you received: 92

Athais replied the topic: Re: Magdelene's new training journal

Magdelene,

I have been doing myfitnesspal.com. It is very similar to loseit.com I suppose. You put in your information and it gives you a goal set of calories. Then you log your food and exercise. I also found that my protein was lacking. I have been reading Wheat Bellyand it has been very enlightening. You may want to read it. The author's reasoning is very sound and well substantiated.

Good luck with your weight loss. Wishing you much success.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds