Sixth Sense and Sensibility

• Thank you received: 37

inari created the topic: Sixth Sense and Sensibility

An article I spotted a couple of days ago for your enjoyment.

Sixth sense and sensibility

Anneli Knight
November 8, 2007

The voice within . . . clairvoyant Paul Fenton-Smith says we can all tap into our intuition.

Scientists are getting closer to explaining the role of intuition in our decision-making.

The world is made up of two types of people: those who make decisions based on intuition and those who make them based on fact.

Dr David Haynes, from the University of South Australia, says there is a clear distinction between intuitive people, or those who get to the fundamental essence of things, and data people who prefer fact and detail.

"In my experience that is the biggest divider of people, even more than the extroversion or introversion divider," the senior psychology lecturer says.

This division also forms a key part of one of the world's most popular personality tests, the Myers-Briggs.

Carl Jung was the first psychologist to introduce intuition into the realm of psychology in the early 1930s.

But scientific research in this area has begun only in the past decade and still leaves many questions unanswered about what intuition is and which part of our brain it comes from.

Professor Con Stough, director at Swinburne University of Technology's Brain Sciences Institute, has done research into the role intuition plays in the decision-making of top female executives.

"We found that the more effective female executives had higher intuition," Stough says.

He says intuitive people make decisions more quickly and effectively because they are more easily able to call on their past experiences and emotions.

"What we find in ineffective leaders are people who are very analytical and don't incorporate any emotion or intuition in their decision-making.

"Emotions orient people quickly to the right decision and when people only make analytical decisions, they are having to reinvent the wheel every single time."

Stough says everyone has intuition and it is not a matter of developing intuitive skills but simply being open to them.

"A lot of people are closed to allowing intuition to affect them or allowing intuition to be a valued piece of information in the decision-making process," he says.

"If you don't use any intuition at all, you become like a computer - only making a decision with factual information and that factual information might not come in for a long time. Intuition allows you to make much quicker decisions and rely on your gut feelings and what you've learned previously."

Stough says a danger in relying on intuition can be when a negative experience informs your emotions or instincts more than is warranted, thereby swaying your decision making. This is a reason to try to be aware of your emotions and understand where they are coming from, he says.

Emotionally intelligent people are able to use their intuition as a conscious part of their decision making, Stough says. However, intuition is a subconscious process for many people.

Dr Sarah Edelman, a psychologist and lecturer at UTS, says intuition is having the ability to sense or know something without conscious reasoning. She says social intuition can occur when people pick up on subconscious signals to make judgments.

"There are some people who are much better at picking up subtle cues and making a judgment. Someone might say, 'I had a feeling that their marriage was on the rocks'. A person sensitive to subtle social cues might pick up evidence of a problem, even if the couple had seemed to be getting on," Edelman says.

Women are more likely to pick up on these cues, she says.

"Some people have a more finely honed ability to detect social cues and they are more likely to be women rather than men because of evolutionary psychology reasons, where women are more conscious of social and human responses."

These intuitive skills can be an inherent, subconscious trait or they can be learnt.

"Some people are just more people-focused and more interested in people. They might be very sensitive or have high levels of interpersonal skills," Edelman says. "And they can be learnt skills - very often people working in the area such as psychology will be taught to read subtle eye movements and facial expressions."

But the scientific evidence does not explain how people know things that have happened without prior knowledge or factual basis.

"When studies have asked people, 'Can you tell me what shape someone in the next room has drawn?' there is little scientific evidence that people can intuit that without a hint or prior knowledge. But there are anecdotal reports of people's metaphysical ability to know things going on on the other side of the world, such as 'I knew my twin had died on the other side of the world'," Edelman says.

Australian psychic and author Paul Fenton-Smith, head of the Academy of Psychic Sciences, says there are many situations where people have knowledge beyond the facts which they are able to gather from their intuition.

"Intuition is an inner knowing," Fenton-Smith says. "It is a part of you that knows things that isn't always in touch with a logical part of you."

Fenton-Smith says every individual has a higher, spiritual self that is able to understand consequences and see the bigger picture.

"The high self part of you understands and knows whether things will work or not. Intuition is access to the higher self and getting the information you need to," he says.

Fenton-Smith says it is possible to draw on your intuition through dreams, meditations and awareness.

"The simplest way is to still your mind and then listen to that small voice within."

Everyone is born with strong intuition but our logic-based education diminishes our ability to access it, he says.

Simple exercises, such as guessing who is ringing you or what colour the next car around the corner will be, are good ways to tap into your intuition. Fenton-Smith says you'll probably get it wrong the first 10 times but after that you'll start to hone your skills.

"The more you practise it the more reliable it becomes and the more you start to trust it," he says. While everyone has intuition, some people do have more natural ability at drawing on it.

"It's like singing - some people can be trained to sing in key, others can be trained to be opera singers."

While intuition can help guide decision making it can sometimes be very closely linked to imagination and should not be relied on in isolation, Fenton-Smith says.

"Good decision making is a combination of intuition and logic," he says.

In research scheduled for publication before the end of the year, a team of prominent psychology scholars have identified intuition as having the potential to unify lines of inquiry spanning cognitive, social, educational and organisational psychology.

The scholars, from the University of Leeds and the University of Surrey in Britain, and Swinburne, highlight intuition as a scientific concept that has come of age.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 76

Beral Khan replied the topic: Re: Sixth Sense and Sensibility

One of my favourite things to do is "freak out" the people in the house when the phone rings and I tell them who it is before we look at the caller ID.  I'm write 9 out of 10 times. lol.

I used to trust my force of Will.
Now I trust in the will of the Force.

Jedi Communication? Well its removing assumptions, questioning the absolutes, and asking for clarity of statements.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 253

Memnoich replied the topic: Re: Sixth Sense and Sensibility

More evidence of the connection all of us share, this is just one step closer to the ability to connect on a bigger scale. Other things that can be tried, guess the next song on the radio/music tv.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

• Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re: Sixth Sense and Sensibility

Agreed - maybe we as a generation are on that verge?

Interesting to consider... 

If I could remember song titles it would be a great game....LOL! 

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1920

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Sixth Sense and Sensibility

Intuition 101: A Beginner’s Guide to Sharpening Your Sixth Sense

Let's face it -- we can all use a little 'intuitive nudge' now and then... just for fun AND it is a nice step toward 'Trusting in the Force'.

We all tend to have this deep sense of “knowing” — and (with a little practice) we can all learn to use it. Being intuitive is really listening to your higher self, your higher wisdom, your soul’s wisdom -- the key being LISTENING rather than letting the old monkey brain chatter away OR hearing but spending more time coming up with 'logical' counter arguments instead of listening.

So.. some simple things one can play with to sharpen that 'sixth sense' mind muscle:

• Set the stage. Choose a room that feels good and that has a chair or a comfortable place to sit: peaceful, safe, and inviting. If possible, use the same location and sitting position every time. You want to create a sense of strong association. This scene will become a trigger in your mind’s eye. With enough practice, you will be able to immediately quiet and center yourself just by thinking of the space.

• Play quiet, gentle music. There are pros and cons on this one. Some find music of ANY kind distracting. Some like 'circle drumming'; some like light classical music; some Pachelbel or Native American flute music. Basically, silence or whatever -- anything that helps you relax and get centered is fine.

• Assume the “meditative or intuition posture.” Sit comfortably with spine straight, feet flat on the floor, palms up. This will help you visualize. With your feet on the ground, you can visualize that you are connected to the earth. With palms up, you will feel more inviting and that the universe is open to your energy and you are open to the energy and wisdom of the universe.

• Count slowly to 10 as you begin to quiet and center yourself. Then, hold your breath to a fast count to 10; then very slowly release your breath to a count to 10 again. (Bend the tips of your fingers in to touch your palms to help you count to 10.) While you are exhaling, visualize the breath moving through the body, as it travels through every cell in your body.

(The next two tips provide more details on how to do this. Understand that these tips are not necessarily sequential; some of them will happen simultaneously.)

• Give your breath color and shape. Both see and feel the warmth of your breath as you breathe in. Visualize that your breath has a shape and color. You might find it helpful to choose a color that symbolizes your intent. For instance:

Green = Healing
Blue = Peace
White = Divine energy
Pink = Compassion

(Then again, a specific color might mean something totally different for YOU. Pick what you think 'works best' for you.)

Research with imagery has validated the importance of visualizing your breath. As you consciously breathe deep relaxing breaths, chemicals in the brain much like an elixir are released to help you feel greater warmth and relaxation.

• Follow your breath on its travels. See the breath actually entering the crown and watch it start the journey through the body. You want to see it and to feel it in your mind’s eye and in your body. Visualize it going through every organ, limb, vertebrae, muscle, and tissue. Picture it flowing through your bloodstream. Envision every cell delighting in the breath. Notice yourself feeling the increased warmth and see yourself feeling well. This facilitates progressive relaxation. (The wacky world of 'stuff' -- while doing the breathing, you tend to experience an increased sense of heaviness. The wacky bit is -- you will notice a feeling of lightness. Gotta love how this works.)

• Find your mantra. I’m feeling more relaxed. I’m feeling more peaceful. I’m becoming pure love. These are just a few suggestions. Your mantra can be a favorite expression, the first line of your favorite prayer (“The Lord is my Shepherd”), or something that just helps you relax like “Shalom.” Or, just for fun and since this IS a Jedi site, why not one line from the movies or from the creed. Whatever you choose, associate the tone of your mantra with finding peace. Whatever your mantra is, say it over and over in your mind. This creates your “mind’s ear” connection.

• Make a connection with something greater than yourself. It doesn’t matter whether your “something greater” is God, Jesus, Mary, Buddha, Universal Energy, the Force or 'Mind'. Just imagine breathing in Its divine energy. Ask your Higher Power for help and guidance.

• Begin with gratitude. Be certain to give thanks. The vibration of “thank you,” and/or the vibration of “blessings,” is very powerful. It draws to us what we secretly desire. Some note that gratitude is a higher state of consciousness.

• Love is the key. Fill your body with love. Imagine your whole body being filled up with love. Not romantic love, but pure, unconditional love — the kind you would feel for a baby, a puppy, or a kitten. Make it your intention. Give it a color and a shape. See yourself feeling it and becoming love. If you are intuiting specifically “for” another person, consciously fill your heart with feelings of love and warmth for him or her. Visualize and feel yourself becoming loving energy.

• After you’ve made the shift, state your intention and ask your question. After about 10 or 15 minutes of breathing, you will feel an inner shift of consciousness. The shift may be very subtle and the time required to reach it will shorten with practice. You will know this subtle shift when it happens; it means you have established a connection with your higher wisdom. This is the time to state your intention.

(You may also state your intention at the beginning of the process, before you begin your breathing.)

I want to tune into ___________ (fill in whatever questions for which you’re seeking answers). I will focus my attention to receive information for either myself, or a particular person or situation. Please enable me to receive this information.

• Listen for your answer. It may come in flashes of insight, which can easily be overlooked if you’re not paying attention. Or it may take the form of a feeling in the gut or the head. Stay focused. Ask “What do I need to know?” It is important to realize that the answer you’re seeking may not come right away. Often you may need to “sleep on it” and the answer will come in the morning or later in the day. As you surrender it or forget about it, you may find that the answer comes to you. It will often come to you in your silence or as you distract yourself with other things.

• Track your “wins.”[/b] Record all the occasions you listened to your intuition and were proven right (or not). Remember, it’s the head that judges and the heart that discerns or notices. Leave all judgment behind. Keeping track will help you learn the difference.

Intuition and confidence go hand in hand and nothing builds confidence like a written track record of your intuitive abilities. Remember, this daily practice is meant to help you learn to shift your consciousness more quickly and to sharpen your intuitive sense. Eventually you will be able to call on your intuition at a moment’s notice. If you wish, you can supplement this work with energy healing modality classes such as yoga, reiki, tai chi, or therapeutic touch.

Just like all the other 'mind muscles' we teach to 'work out', the old maxim is still true -- “The more you use your intuition, the more sensitive it will become."

Yes, you will be able to intuitively pick up on fear and pain in others, but that is only the beginning. Enhanced intuition is very healing. It is energy that feels good. You will learn to notice if you aren’t feeling well and to shift so that you can connect with this higher energy. More and more, you will come from a place of love and gratitude instead of from a place of fear. And that is a change that can transform your whole life.

(( and yes, this is half a rehash of many of the posts and course lessons on relaxing, breathing, meditating and more. Let's face it -- those 'simple' tools are the bedrock of how to improve in so many different areas of Life and Living AND improving your connection to the Force... it's just common sense to practice. ))
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atticus

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds