Using the Force for comprehension and recall

• Atticus
  • Atticus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 530

Atticus created the topic: Using the Force for comprehension and recall

This is based on a technique I learned several years ago, which echoed something I learned early on in Force 101. It only takes a couple of minutes but creates a heightened sense of awareness that is very conducive to learning quickly and easily. I use it before studying, outside reading, and sometimes at work before diving into a brief or a complex judicial opinion. It works better for me if I take a couple of minutes to meditate first, even just a simple mindfulness of breath.

Sit comfortably with your back straight, feet flat on the floor. Place the back of your right hand lightly into the upturned palm of your left, touching the thumbs lightly. Make the energy circuit in your head by touching the tip of your tongue lightly against the roof of your mouth, right behind the ridge where the soft palate ends. Relax your breathing. (As I said, here is where I will just pay attention to my breathing for a couple of minutes and get my conscious mind out of the way for a bit.)

Start with your vision and focus your eyes on a point somewhere above eye level at least several feet away, maybe where the ceiling and the wall meet or a corner of the room, or maybe an object on the wall — any specific point that you can focus all of your attention on. Then feel all your focus narrowing down, like tunnel vision, on this one specific point and nothing else. Focus every ounce of your concentration on your target point, but continue to breathe slowly and quietly without interruption or effort. The only effort should be in your will to focus, and with practice even that will become largely effortless.

When you’re ready, allow your eyes to relax. Keep looking at your target point, but allow your eyes to soften, and as you relax the muscles in the eyes, your vision will expand sideways and outward so you can see more of the room that you’re in. Without stopping, allow your vision to expand all the way around you as far as you can, so that you can almost get a sense of knowing what it would be like to see through eyes in the back of your head.

You’ll notice as you’re doing this that your breathing naturally relaxes even more. As your breathing remains calm and relaxed, bring your eyes down to normal eye-level as you maintain this heightened state of awareness, seeing everything around you.

Then send all of your awareness to your ears. Pay attention to all the little sounds that you can hear, whether it’s the background noises in your house, or outside in the streets, or wherever. Expand your hearing as your did your vision, so that the more you hear, the more you become aware of your own sight and vision.

Now visualize the Force energy inside of you beginning to expand beyond the confines of your physical body, so that it begins to fill the room around you. See it and feel it, whatever color it may be for you. Wherever this energy seems to touch, get a sense of what it would feel like to touch that surface or object with your own hand. You’re ‘”stretching out with your feelings” as Obi-Wan taught, touching the furniture, the things lying around in the room, all the way out to the walls. Get a sense of distinction between the things in the room if that helps you with the visualization, but then set it aside, so that you and the objects in the room and the energy become connected and one. If there are people in the room, you can be connected to them also.

Bring your eyes and ears back into the forefront of your consciousness while still maintaining this feeling of connectedness with the room around you through the Force; with practice, you can try to add hearing without losing the focus on your vision, or add the feeling of the Force without diverting attention from your eyes and ears.

If you try this technique, I'd love to hear how it works for you, or how you would adjust or alter it to better suit your practice.

x-posted

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1920

Kol Drake replied the topic: Using the Force for comprehension and recall

My daughter has always had test anxiety -- grade school forward. Even after six years of college (2 bachelors, 1 associates), she is still that way -- which causes issues as she's currently in a hard core 36 week immersive language training thing.

I gave her a simplified version of what Atticus posted reminding her that -- the mind can do amazing things. We can 'ask it' to wake us up at a specific time in the morning and -- unless we stay up all night anyway -- the sub/unconscious mind will do it's best to wake us up 'on time' (mine usually a few minutes earlier than the back up alarm I had set.).

Taking the 'practical' and going one step further, I told her she could do that same thing with her language training. She studies and grinds all week for the weekly and monthly tests and still has that 'anxiety' thing going on. So, I told her to use the same 'method' mentioned above just as she turns out the lights. Remind her mind that she's studied it all and gone over everything but, it would be of help if her subconscious could go over it as she sleeps; makes it more manageable for CLEAR recall during the next quiz / test.

Of course, I also told her to stop doing like she did in high school -- having some music blaring in her ears / headphones while she studies. Because that conditions her mind to have *that* going on while she studies and then the mind freezes up during tests because... hey, no music to sync the info to! Hard as it may be for her, she must learn to work WITH her mind and not against it.

Ya, a 'dad' lecture. But she DID pass that next mega sectional test with 2 A's so... something worked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atticus, Jax

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: Re:Using the Force for comprehension and recall

Awesome! Did she feel any less anxiety as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 43

Hunter replied the topic: Using the Force for comprehension and recall

so im reading on hypnosis right now and what you just described is textbook trance induction

within this state
whateveryou present to yourself
in a convincing enough way to see it as true
or in such a way that you accept it as being true
becomes a subconscious reality

everyone has value
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Atticus
  • Atticus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 530

Atticus replied the topic: Re:Using the Force for comprehension and recall

I first learned this technique in a training on conversational hypnosis, so it's perhaps not surprising that it comes off as an induction.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 43

Hunter replied the topic: Using the Force for comprehension and recall

thats awesome
i had the thought when i hit the SUBMIT button that im probably going to tell people stuff they already know for a while, until i get caught up with everybody.

im taking a couple of free online courses on the subject of hypnosis which includes traditional methodology as well as erickson methodology (i just stared reading a little about him) which i understand as being the origins of conversational hypnosis . NLP is on tonights agenda as a matter of fact. the internets are truly revolutionary.

recall is something i am suggesting to myself right now - my intention is to have full physiological recall ability

im not giving myself a timeline yet
but ive already begun giving myself suggestions that it could be possible

this is one area of development that i see as a ME SPECIFIC task - im framing this as empowering as i am able; the proccess of developing volitional recall is going to give me the opportunity to watch myself develop a skill pretty much from the ground up

i have excellent recall in certain specific areas

but in other areas it will be a rewarding challenge to make tangible progress

so i willreturn to this thread when i notice developments and share the techniques that i get the most benefit from on case anyone is curious

everyone has value
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Atticus

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds