"Superstitions"

• Thank you received: 3

Brandon created the topic: "Superstitions"

anyone have any meditation "superstitions" like a certain place that gives them better results or a certain thing you wear each time?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: "Superstitions"

One place may be particularly good for meditation, which encourages repeatedly using it. But that wouldn't make it a superstition. A superstition takes you away from awareness. It creates a dependence. Perhaps a better word is preference?

I prefer to lie down or sit with back support because of pain. I prefer quiet, but I also use binaural beats using apps from tesla which helps me maintain the mental states without going as deep and phasing out. Other than that, I'm not all that picky. When I start riding the train again I meditate there, which is a different challenge due to movement and sound. Plus keeping track of the stops so I don't miss mine. ;-)

• Thank you received: 3

Brandon replied the topic: "Superstitions"

yeah preference is a better word than superstition for it. I felt like I did better last night when I was wearing my tunic rather than wearing regular clothes

• Thank you received: 1890

Jax replied the topic: "Superstitions"

The clothes we wear, what we surround ourselves with, that can all change our mindset. Just don't rely on it. Make sense?

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1920

Kol Drake replied the topic: "Superstitions"

Another word that comes to mind is "ritual".

Example: A priest does work in his office all week but it is that time before services when he (or she) spends time in silent contemplation before they put on their vestments and stand before the congregation.

Same for some workers of mystery and magic. They have certain tools they use, a certain area set aside for making potions, creating sigils, addressing the four compass points, and their ceremonial robes, etc. The 'ritual' of getting into the proper mindset -- a place, a 'time set aside', even the clothes involved - all help to 'get in the groove'.

Some who meditate have a place or even 'just' the cushions they use.
And then, there are some who can 'do' meditation or magic anywhere at any time.

I had one mentor who once said, the world is noisy -- yes, learn to meditate quietly but later you will have to learn to meditate anywhere with the noise of Life going on all around you. Learn to let the noise 'be' and go to your place of calm.

Again, another form of ritual... for all it's non ritual components.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds