Grounding 101

• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1813

Kol Drake created the topic: Grounding 101

I was not certain where to post this -- hopefully it gets to where it needs to be.  ;D

Here at the IJRS, we talk about "grounding ourselves and our energies" a lot in threads and in lectures.  It seems simple enough but, questions do arise.  Here is what Mike over at Magick of Thought put out there...

1.  Should grounding be only used after doing any energy work, or is it something that we need to constantly perform
    since we learn to tap into higher energies?

2. Is there such a thing as “over grounding?” And if yes, how do we determine that we’ve not exceeded that threshold?

First.... kind of a 'grounding semi primer'.

If you read my WWTF (Working with the Force) series, I use the terms signature and systems. 

A signature -- specifically an energy signature can be thought of as 'your vibe'.  Our bodies 'sing' at different rates (or frequencies) depending on our moods, physical health, emotional state, etc.  So, when we get 'out of tune' or are in disharmony with our environment, we sense it as being 'out of sync' or 'feeling off'.

A system -- is an energy construct.  Practitioners use rituals, thoughts, and symbols to create this energetic framework or structure.  We can learn to tap into this structure; make use of the system's function or use it's energy to perform functions beyond the basic programming.

With terminology out of the way, on to the subject of grounding.  Again, I borrow from Mike's site -- Most teachers say “grounding is sending your energy into the earth / out into the universe” because that is the visualization they use.  But that is confusing a symbolic visualization with what actually happens.  To understand when to ground, we need to understand what actually happens.  Broadly, when you feel like you need to ground, it’s not that you have too much energy, it is that your energy is the wrong signature.    This energy of the 'wrong vibe' does not align with your mind and body, so it feels off.  The solution is to expel that mismatched energy, so your body can replace it with energy in its specific frequency.  There are 2 ways to get back into 'harmony': Self-grounding and system-based grounding.

Self-grounding is when you relax your shielding and let your energy equalize with the energy in the room.  Yes, equalize, not release.  You have a different vibe rate than the area around you, so you will lose your excess energy, and pick up some of the energy in the area, with its (different) frequency.  Is that good or bad?  Depends on the ambient energy.  So do it a little, see how it feels, then decide.

-

Think of the basic science example of hot and cold.  Hot is 'high energy' and cold is 'low energy'… and thermodynamics is all about how they try to come to an equilibrium state.  Same for personal energy as far as 'vibes' go.  If you are vibe-ing at a high rate and go into a room that is low, two things can happen.  One, your energy brings the room 'up' or two, you lose energy and drop to the basic 'room level'.  Bet you can think of times when both instances have happened. And, in the same manner, you can feel when someone is 'in sync' with a room or group and when someone is 'just not fitting in'.  It is all about the energy vibes.

-

System-based grounding is when a system (the external forces that mages, mystics, psychics and healers channel) balances your energy for you.  It connects to you, checks out your energy, removes the excess and adds energy with a different signature, hopefully aligned to your body.  As with all systems work, the quality of this grounding depends on the quality of the system you are using, so switching systems can produce better results.

If you are self-taught, and haven’t studied any particular style of energy working (or magic rituals), you are probably self-grounding.  If you have dabbled in one area or another outside 'basic energy/Force work' then you might be using methods which involves traditional symbols and rituals in an established style, or an initiation (like Reiki), you are probably using system-based grounding.

When to self-ground?  For the most part, Mike only self-grounds when he feels a too-much-energy headache. 

A mistake a young student of mine made a few years ago was to go into a mind state and 'pull in energy'… but never 'let go'.  She kept building and building until, after a few days, she felt her head was "… gonna come flying apart."  All in and no 'out'.  I had her create a 'thread' of her energy and send it outside her dorm and into a nearby park.  Working at relieving the excess but then, working to find her own vibe and pull in enough to feel 'okay' instead of 'bursting'.

Energy likes to flow.  And basically,  you are just going to dump the mismatched energy and replace it with good energy.

Until you are used to working with energy, you may get these energy headaches after doing any sort of energy work. Just about every book (and everyone) suggest to ground then, too.  And if you know that every time you do X, you get a headache 20 minutes later, ground without waiting those 20 minutes.

There *are* times when you should not self-ground.
Do not self-ground when you are in a 'bad vibe' area.  No need pulling in krappy energy and then having to work more to get some 'good stuff' in it's place.  And, as Jax and her crew can tell you,  if spirits are draining your energy, do not ground until they are gone. By opening yourself, you make it easier for them to access you, and by releasing energy, you will attract more drainers.  Instead, focus on shielding and on removing connections which they might have made, and only ground once they are gone.

-

Realize that other sources may not call it “grounding.”  But any step you do to close down the session probably fills this role.  LBRP comes to mind or invoking 'white light' for a full body flush and recharge.

Is one method 'better' then another?
Not necessarily.  Mike and I pretty much agree, knowing more then self-grounding is as much an academic exercise as a practical one.  More 'methods' of doing something gives more opportunities for exploration.  Some folks might never learn a ritual or tap into a system… and that's okay too.  Use what works for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1828

Jax replied the topic: Re: Grounding 101

Thank you Kol. I'm going to put this into the public area. And then practice it to find what works better for me. When I'm at work I ground using a salt lamp which allows me to dump my negative or nervous energy and return to a calm state. I think this works better for me because I can directly touch it.  It also has the added benefit of being something I can bring into my shield, rather than going outside my shield to ground which can be important occasionally.  Being on the third floor of a building, wearing shoes, I don't feel as connected to the ground. I know grounding still works without being on the ground, but the experience is different. 

As a side note, attempting to ground at the South Pole was very interesting since the 'ground' was 2 miles below the ice! I wish you could all have that experience, I'd love to see how the more sensitive of you would experience it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 529

Connor replied the topic: Re: Grounding 101

Kol! Great article!

Maybe I'm a little daft, but where is your WWTF series?

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

• Thank you received: 1828

Jax replied the topic: Re: Grounding 101

Working with the Force. It's in this board as well. 

• Thank you received: 0

chrisbacon replied the topic: Re: Grounding 101

Grounding in tai chi and xing yi and most chinese internal martial arts is practiced by standing with feet shoulder width apart chin tucked in and tongue on roof of mouth and teeth lightly touching.  In this practice the spine is plumb with the ground with knees slightly bent with the weight ideally through the heels.

Next the hand positions. Start with hands held floating a few inches over the thighs while holding your posture as said before. this is called Wu chi position.  hold this for 1 minute.  Then hold your hands solar plexis height with palms facing your chest  fingers slightly spread and elbows pointing outward as if holding a beach ball.  this is called holding the ball or post training.  hold this posture for as long as you can sinking a little bit and bending your knees more.  These are basic Chi building exercises that increase your connection to the earth or the floor.  this is a core exercise mind you and the more immovable and grounded you become.  There are masters in china that can do this for two hours straight remember start with ten minutes and gradually increase your practice.  this is a core exercise for most chinese internal martial arts.

and by the by the way the masters who do this training for two hours a day are damn near invincible in terms of no techniques work on them because they are so solid.  it is gruelling for a beginner but becomes more enjoyable as time goes on and these masters say that when they are standing they are having sex with HEAVEN

• Thank you received: 3

Otherone replied the topic: Re: Grounding 101

Well Chris pretty much answered my question i think but i will ask anyway,  I have heard grounding both ways, that it is getting rid of negative energy or it is connecting to the earth to gain more energy....  So are they both correct? Or is connecting to earths energy actually something else?

Grounding in this technique is to stay as relaxed as humanly possible the  the chi flows by itself your palms get warm and you can fell it flowing through you.  the negative energy goes as you progressively learn to rid yourself of tension while doing this it's also a form of meditation. its also more strenuous than most calistenics (push ups and situps,  etc.)  :rebel

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Grounding 101

-- from 'wikihow' --

Have you ever heard of someone being referred to as "down to Earth" or "grounded"? Some people seem to have a stability or peace to them that keeps them from getting out of control, or carried away. There are a variety of ways to reach that state, and this is one of them. "Grounding and centering" is a visualization and meditation exercise you can use to focus yourself on the present and learn to feel more whole, more aware. Try it whenever you are stressed, worried, or nervous. The image of a tree evokes feelings of stability and connectedness for many people. This may take some practice, but with diligence you may find that this exercise helps you live in the moment.

http://www.wikihow.com/Ground-and-Center

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Grounding 101

Reading over the posts in this thread, one can easily see there are some differences in how people 'see' grounding. 

For the martial artist, it can mean being centered and stilled and 'grounded' in such a manner that oncoming attackers can not move the one grounded.    It touches on 'body energy' as much as the other forms -- but in the martial context.

For others, it's a more 'spiritual' thing.  And still others are looking for something for 'day-to-day' use;  not so much spiritual or martial but a means for finding some small island of calm in the modern day sea of 'daily chaos'.

Because we are so wrapped up in our lives, we forget to pay attention to the little details that can truly enrich our daily experiences. Our attention is often occupied by events that happened last week, month or year, or even by worries of what will happen tomorrow, next Tuesday or even next month. We forget or may never realize that the greatest power we hold is in the moment.  (( uh oh... not sliding into the 'Power of Now'... ))  One way to come back to the present is to ground oneself.

Grounding is, basically, being completely in your body (aware of physical sensations), and being present mentally and emotionally.  Add in the energetic side of things (balancing the chakras and general 'body flow') and you get a double whammy of goodness.  Aside from the health benefits grounding provides (such as stress relief), one tends to feel lighter and more in control of the immediate environment.

Be it with spiritual practices or martial ones or energetic workings, crystals or essences, there are numerous ways to ground - the most important thing is to find a method that truly works for you.

(( now that it is warming up again, I might go look for a good tree to hug.  :P  ))

Time to create page: 0.306 seconds