Qigong/Tai Chi references

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1882

Jax created the topic: Qigong/Tai Chi references

There's a website I found that includes a lot of good, practical references on different qigong styles (and tai chi, though I've never used the site for that).  I thought I posted it here but apparently didn't.  The site includes video when it can find them and is free. :-)

This is the main site: http://www.everyday-taichi.com/index.html

This is the style I practice most nights: http://www.everyday-taichi.com/shibashi.html

If anyone has experience with the other styles or tries other ones please post your experiences in your journal and a short review here so people can make good decisions about what ones they should try.  It takes a lot of time to learn a new style so I think it's helpful to know if someone finds it useful.

What I've experienced with the shibashi style is very beneficial to me. I do this exercise in the evenings now and it helps me calm my energy and balance it which improves my sleep.  I also noticed improved energy flow which helps me when I do healing on Carrie.  Toward the end I really feel my hands activated and sensing energy changes which is nice.  Also I get some good stretching from a few of the exercises which reducing the aches and pains of a sit down office job with 80 miles of commuting.  I don't think the exercises are very complicated though it did take me a while to memorize the sequence.  I learned from a book so for a few weeks I would reference back to the book to make sure I was going in order.  The sequence takes me 15-20 minutes, though if I'm really tired I'll skip the middle and cut that down to about 10 minutes. 

I hope to find the time to try another style this winter.  It's probably beneficial to mix things up a bit and see if I can get more benefit from something else. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1911

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Qigong/Tai Chi references

I took a short class a couple of years ago which taught the Eight Brocades... a kind of 'warm up' exercise set some use before doing the whole Tai Chi routine. 

I will poke about those linked sites and see what others might be availble... no teachers locally for me so it's all self taught or youtube lessons.  :P

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re: Qigong/Tai Chi references

Yeah, I've seen the 8 Bracades multiple times and just don't find it very useful as a sequence on its own.  As a warmup, sure, but I don't think it does a lot for me.  I like the 18 move sequence better. :-) 

• Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re: Qigong/Tai Chi references

It is great that people want to work daily Chi Kung! It really is a very good way to learn to sense energy and to keep one's body in balance.  However, I would advise being cautious about which chi kung exercises or Tai Chi forms you choose to do.  The 8 Brocade and Bejiing 24 movement form are both fairly balanced in terms of energy flow, which is very important in internal arts.  Doing only a part of a longer form or just some random Chi Kung exercises each day, may actually create imbalances, which can lead to illness over the course of time. 

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re: Qigong/Tai Chi references

This is true. Thank you for posting that as a reminder.  When I chose subsets of my form I made sure there was a balance to the techniques.  And every few days I did the full form to balance the energy.  It's just been a while since I had done that so it slipped my mind. :-)

• Thank you received: 529

Atticus replied the topic: Re: Qigong/Tai Chi references

I have heard good things about peng qi guan ding, though I have not worked with myself.  www.zhinengqigong.org/Methods/level1.htm   I would be interested to know what the more experienced practitioners here think of this style/system/choreography.

The Friday night qigong group here in my town works with Falun Dafa.  www.falundafa.org/book/eng/pdf/flg_2006.pdf

But everything I practice I got from Jax.  :meditate

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

• Thank you received: 0

chrisbacon replied the topic: Re: Qigong/Tai Chi references

i have over 14 years of experience in three internal martial arts Qi gong Combined tai chi and Xing yi i recommend Iron shirt or standing practice for ten minutes a day and you will find you combat and esoterics will much improve with daily training.  it is also important to maintain a tai chi form and try to practice that 2 times a week :obiwan

• Thank you received: 5

Magdelene Nashira replied the topic: Re: Qigong/Tai Chi references

Thanks, Jax, that's a great resource. :meditate

"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." - Kurt Cobain

• Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re: Qigong/Tai Chi references

i have over 14 years of experience in three internal martial arts Qi gong Combined tai chi and Xing yi i recommend Iron shirt or standing practice for ten minutes a day and you will find you combat and esoterics will much improve with daily training.  it is also important to maintain a tai chi form and try to practice that 2 times a week :obiwan

I'm having a little trouble figuring out just what you're saying here.  Please use punctuation.  Are you saying that the three arts you have studied are Qi Gong, Tai Chi, and Xing Yi?  And what does it mean to improve your esoterics?

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1911

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Qigong/Tai Chi references

FYI for those who are interested in the 8 Brocades...

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Atticus, Jax

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds