Shields & Shielding

• Brandel Valico
  • CARPE NOCTEM
  • Thank you received: 90

Brandel Valico replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

Never been a fan of Shields myself.

I'm a student of redirection. If you build a wall or Barrier eventually someone will want to break through it for one reason or another. But if you simply allow their attack to wash over and around you and redirect it back to them or off to a harmless place. It never touches you.

I use a 5 step approach.

The first step is simply put a field of non-intrest (Blending in hiding of the energy field.)

The second is if someone wishes to still attack or as recently happened test their own skills against mine. (He asked for permission) Is that when the breach a set distance from me. The Distance fluctuates depending on certain things. But it's roughly around a city block in all directions according to the guy who has been testing his ability to do so. (He is currently trying to Astral Project to my postion and effect my energy in a minor way every so often without giving me the exact time and or places. He just tells me the results the next time we talk)
But basically what occurs is when they trip that field the person is redirected to a honeypot type set up. (For those who aren't aware of the setup. It's a term used to describe a computer redirect for hackers to access that seems full of data and all they want. But the info is all useless in reality) What happens is instead of a barrier it's a vast funnel that allows them in (If they are good enough they sense the tripped the field. Which usually works to my advantage as it makes them feel they have progressed farther then they have) then slowly it applies a layer of an endless maze on top of them. In reality what happens is if it's a random undirected energy it simply passes through as it's redirected away from me. If it's a directed attack it funnels the energy back and draws a concept of the maze from the entity directing the attack. For example the current person describes it as a shifting Labyrinth full of enemies that seek to prevent him from finding the end. Another has described a beehive type structure. Another a Skyscraper with nothing but hallways and doors. (The actual vision is supplied by the entity not me) The energy for this is supplied by the attacker as their own energy is being directed into powering the vision that is effecting them and distracting them. So the more they direct towards it the more powerful it is. All without me doing anything. It's passive on my part.

If they are able to figure out how to move past this. (There are ways) They encounter the third part. (The few who have made it say it involves a water and reflection vision) What occurs here is a bit more direct. The redirect moves them now to a reflection of themselves and makes it seem like they have instead of locating me found simply a reflection point. A spot in existence where we see our true self. Most with bad or harmful intent back away at this point as they rarely care to see themselves as they truly are.

If they still persist. They are then gathered to the Fourth level. (Its usually described as a room that's pitch black with a single candle and a door) In this level the door and candle moves away from the person as they progress towards it. They must figure out how to extinguish the light before they can reach the door. (The Candle is again powered by their own emotions and feelings drawn from the energy they have directed towards me)

If they still progress (I have yet to have anyone do so as such I don't know what they would see) They reach the Fifth and final passive barrier I have. At this point It's meant to redirect their energy into creating a vision that causes them to encounter what they fear the most and that they are actually encountering it and that they will be destroyed if they continue.) They would need to defeat their own fears to reach me.

If they are still working towards me. Then they start reaching my actual non-passive defenses. But the idea is that for the most part I never even have to deal with them as they are in effect fighting themselves.

So I rarely teach or suggest shielding I instead teach funneling and redirecting and evasion over direct resistance. Even more so since often the energies that are attracted towards us are more powerful then a person just learning how to shield themselves will be.

This isn't to say Shielding doesn't have a place and purpose and shouldn't be studied.

HOMO SUM HUMANI A ME NIHIL ALIENUM PUTO
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.
  • Thank you received: 86

Stryse replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

But if you simply allow their attack to wash over and around you and redirect it back to them or off to a harmless place. It never touches you.

They have a shield for that.   :P

Still, what you described is all within the realm of abjuration, albeit coupled in a few instances with other things.  (Depending on the individual's points of view, some of what you outlined might still be considered a shield.)  

Regardless, it further illustrates that there are a multitude of strategies people can employ to protect themselves and that there is no one best strategy or a one-size-fits all solution.     Thanks for sharing your five step method.  I think I'm going to experiment with it.  :)   I always liked the idea of a layered approach to personal security.

I suppose now is as good a time as any for us to look at different types of shields you can try  (this isn't exactly exhaustive, but should give you a good starting point):

1)   Sphere of Light - This is perhaps the most basic shielding technique, but tends to work in a more passive mode than anything.    But the idea is to visualize yourself surrounded by a protective sphere of light of the approprate color.    Most people start their shielding-training with this one before moving on to other types of shields.   This is really just using your aura as a barrier, but on a more conscious level than humans naturally do it.   Unfortunately, the aura is a bit fragile and so this type of shield isn't always so good for directed attacks.   Once the aura tears, and there's lots that can cause that, you've got a hole in your defenses.  (Fortunately, while its fragile, its also very easy to repair.)  In truth, though, its a shield you are born with, that is always with you, and will be so until you die.    Its just up to you whether or not you care to consciously strengthen and maintain it by visualizing the white light (or whatever).   I don't recommend neglecting your aura though.   There is enough subjective evidence to make it worth your while just from a physical health standpoint, let alone actual attack.   This is also a very quick one to erect, because its already there, so since you can't really ask your attackers for a time-out while you lay down your defenses, you might resort to this, or one of its variations:  

the Pillar of Light:   Start with the above, but then call upon the light of the universe (you know, that thing we call the Force) to augment it with its light.  See that external light flow into your sphere, and strengthen it.   When the coast is clear, release that light back to the universe (with thanks and gratitude if you're so inclined).

All in all, the sphere of light is the easiest to use and the easiest to maintain on an always-on basis (because it is always on... you can't escape your aura nor dismiss it).    The mere fact of your deeping connection to the Force causes this form of shield to become naturally stronger the more you progress in your training.

You can also use the sphere of light offensively, though at that point we're not talking about shielding anymore.    Auric Flaring is what it is referred too.    You take your sphere of light and you let it pulse with intensity... bright as the sun, for a second or so before fading down to normal.    This can serve to blind your attacker for a moment, giving you a chance to consider your next move.  It may also just scare off whatever little bugger is bugging you.

What follows could be integrated with the aura, but typcially are seperate projections of your will and constitute a barrier seperate from your aura, even if it overlaps with or resides inside of, the Aura.    

2) Force Fields - This is the "Star Trek" shield I was describing earlier, and is the one I think is most often thought of when people start talking about personal shields.  It is second to the Sphere of Light in its commonality.   Very effective, but very energy intensive.   It probably requires more active thought than any other to actually maintain as it has a tendancy to fizzle when you're not thinking about it (and thereby actively empowering it).   There are some variation of this that I'll just list seperately below.   At full strength, some people have actually felt the sensation of a solid mass when attempting to breech the shield (in practice sessions, of course).

3)  The "Invisible Shield"   -  Actually I never really thought of this as a shield, but I'll mention it anyway.   What you do is draw in all your own energy, collapse your aura to hug your body, and operate in 'grey mode.'   The intent is to cloak  yourself from outside perseption by masking your 'energy signature.'    You're not truly invisible, but if you're successful you'll find you can move about unnoticed,  even by other Jedi.    Try it sometime before entering a room of people that are certain to recognize you and engage you in conversation.   See if you can successfully lurk about unnoticed.   Then drop the cloak and enjoy the 'when do you get here?!' surprise.     This is a popular one to put on your car, but the now-cliche' warning is... don't be surprised if you find yourself the victim of more accidents.    If cops can't see you, neither can the other drivers on the road.   Introverts are naturally more skilled at this than extroverts who have to practice more to master it.

4) Mirror Shield - This is much like the force field, except that you instead visualize the outside of the barrier as a reflective surface.   The idea is that anything directed at you is reflected back to the sender.   (A variation of this is the sphere-of-light approach using the color grey.)   For a lot of people, its most effective when they're consciously focused on using it.  Some consider this unethical as you are, in effect, attacking your attacker.   I can only think of one instance where a Jedi allowed himself to be attacked without raising his light-saber in defense...and in so doing became more powerful than we can possibly imagine.   :)    He certainly had his reasons.

5) Mesh Shield -  There are two approaches to mesh shields that are somewhat different in intent.   Personally I find these a good compromise between the fragile 'sphere of light' method and the more energy-intensive 'force-shield' method.    Instead of a complete force field you instead have a mesh around you, like armor.  The mesh catches most things and prevents it from entering your aura.   Of course, all the attacker has to do is shrink that force-lightning down to something that can slip through the mesh.   However, you can actually layer up several of these with various sized gaps and orientations to mimic the full-on force-field.  

The other form of this is also often visualized as a mesh, but takes a different approach.   With a force-field type of shield, you are blocking out 'energy' from reaching you.   Unfortunately this means both bad energy (attacks) as well as good energy (healing).   Some people choose to circumvent this by using a mesh that keeps the bad energy out while allowing the good energy to pass through.    Typcially, though, we refer to this as a filter and not a shield.   (Though not a universal distinction).

Whereas the force field is typically perceived as being rigid, the mesh approach is often described as giving a little before bouncing back.    (I'm rubber, and you're glue.)   Perhaps its the lack of rigidity to it that contributes to it being less energy-intensive and generally more enduring.

6) Deflector Shield (or Pass Around) -  With this technique you alter the surface of your shield to be a bit slippery, so that when something hits it, it slides off, slips around, or otherwise is deflected elsewhere.   Its not the same as the mirror shield, though, because like the richochet of a bullet, you're not directing it back to the source, you're simply deflecting it anywhere but through.

7) Absorbing Shield -  This is a variation of the force shield that is considered a bit more advanced.   The idea is that the energy directed at your sheild isn't simply blocked, but absorbed into the shield to strengthen it.   Thus each attack serves to further thwart the next.

8)  Brick Wall -  This is where you essentially visualize yourself as being walled in by bricks (or stones, or whatever you choose to visualize) on all sides.   Its probably the most substantial barrier, but since its a wall and not a window, you run the risk of cutting yourself off from the outside world.   Thus its usually only employed when you know you are under direct assault and then dismantled when the threat has passed.   Often each brick of the wall is a positive memory or emotion, clearly visualized and laid down into the wall.   Kind of an extension of the 'think good thoughts' approach to psychic defense.   :)

9)  Shield of Blades - With this you don't have a nice, neat, bubble-like shield surrounding you.  Instead you have knives, or swords, or in our case light-sabers, swirling around you.  Whatever comes in, gets shredded to pieces.      The downside is that shredding something doesn't destroy it.   Shrapnel can kill just as easily as the actual explosive.

10) Elemental Shields - These can take different forms.   Fire and Ice are frequent.   Surround yourself with fire and anything incoming is safely incinerated.    With ice, its frozen (thus rendered in stasis and consequently unable to further act.)    As a dracomancer, I tend to use this a lot, only with Dragon Fire as its not quite the same as elemental fire and really, a bit more effective than ordinary fire.   Maybe you use water to dissolve incoming attacks.   With air, maybe you surround yourself in a vortex ala tornado, to catch incoming energy and 'blow' it elsewhere.

Other tricks:

There is no reason you can't layer up different types of shields.  I encourage you to explore these types in greater detail as there is a wealth of information outling the expereinces of those who use them.   No one type of shield is fool-proof, so a layered approach like what Brandel uses (and by layered, I don't necessarily mean sticking just to shielding) is a good idea if you're bunkering down.    

If you are the sort to call on outside entities of the spirit/astral realms for assistance, you can ask these beings to augment your sheild as well.    If i'm feeling particularly threatened, I call upon a dragon.   In and of itself, few things are willing to go up against a dragon, so I might not even need a shield if I have a dragon between me and that which wishes me ill... but having one blend its power with my own makes for a much stronger shield indeed.     "Cross this threshold under penalty of dragon fire."   If you have a relationship with your spirit guides, and/or totems, it is in no way inapproprate to ask them for protective assitance in a time of need.

If you are the sort to use things like crystals or herbs, you can make some potent shielding that is less tied to your conscious mind, and thus works without your active attention.   Indeed there are many different tools you can use to erect a shield with.   For example, think about a stone.   Stones are, by their nature, very enduring things.   Abjurations cast with a stone are going to incorporate that nature and will thus prove to be rather enduring.     Read up on Talismans and Amulets for further information.   Abjuration isn't the only use for such things, but is frequently an objective when crafting them.

Also, don't rely solely on your shields.   Use common sense to avoid dangerous situations.   Use the buddy system when going out, especially after dark in a 'rough' neighborhood.   Carry mace  or something if you think there is a chance you'll be subjected to physical attack  (bear mace is what I recomend... regular mace some people can tolerate enough to make less-than-effective).   For less-physical attacks, explore alternatives to the shield.    Brandel gives us some very interesting suggestions from his own practice.  (I really really like his funnel approach... and well all of it... as in a way, he's teaching his would-be attacker some valuable, if not hard, lessons... which I feel is much better than simply defending himself.)

Further, while shields may operate in a passive mode, they're less effective than when you're actively involved in their operation.   That being said, you can indeed program your subconscious mind, through repitition, to autonomously manage the shield(s), freeing your conscious mind to manage life.    Just monitor your energy levels and take action if you feel yourself tired, dizzy, weak, etc while shielding.

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Brandel Valico
  • CARPE NOCTEM

I tend not to call it a shield as I myself am not really the one powering the effect. It's passive on my part requiring no activation or upkeep once its set-up.

As for it being in the realm of abjuration. What does this have to do with renouncing an Oath?  :ponder

I do agree that there are a vast number of strategies people can and will employ.

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I tend not to call it a shield as I myself am not really the one powering the effect. It's passive on my part requiring no activation or upkeep once its set-up.

Although I don't think your actual methodology is something I'd really consider shielding either; shields are still shields even if they're passively employed.    What you have put together is actually a very very clever set of wards, coupled with some other artes of power.    (Seriously, I am super impressed by it.  I pity the fool foolish enough to trifle with you.)  Most wards are passive things.  Shielding is a type of ward that tends to have a more active approach (though not always.. but the passive shields tend to not be as effective, at least not early in one's practice). 

As for it being in the realm of abjuration. What does this have to do with renouncing an Oath?  :ponder

It doesn't  (unless you took an oath to permit attacks against you and then realized that was a bad idea).  The term was adopted in the occult mysteries to describe anything by which we cast our will as a protection.    When we abjure in this context, we 'deny' the attack or 'repudiate' it.  It's a bit of a strech in definition, I'll grant you, but I wasn't the one that adopted it into esoteric glossaries.  :)    I talk more about Abjuration as an arte of power in this thread:  http://instituteforjedirealiststudies.org/smf/index.php?topic=1517.0

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Brandel Valico
  • CARPE NOCTEM

Hmm.... Warding would indeed be a better term for the system I have in place. I do have shields which while I rarely use I do test and improve every so often. Though if we are looking at shields as a different type of ward also. (I can see the logic of doing so) Then I would accept the logic the reverse is also true. That wards could be considered shields in a sense.

I've never considered it foolish, though I do hope it's informative for those who interact with me. I know the guy currently doing so is having alot of fun and learning alot about himself. He thinks he has figured out how to escape the maze. (*Grin* If he does I'm looking forward to finding out what he will see in the Reflection point.)

As for the use of Abjuration..... It's a stretch but I can see the use. Thanks for the quick explanation  ;)

• Brandel Valico
  • CARPE NOCTEM

Hey Stryse you mentioned you might mess around with setting up your own varation of my passive system. Was just curious if you did so and if so you added to it in anyway? I'm always looking for ways to improve and or adapt my own set-up to make it better. (Hence the reason I let certian people I know test it if they seek to.) Becuase it allows me to learn the weak points and figure out methods to strengthen them. You may find this interesting. The guy I mentioned before just figured out how to move past the maze this last week. He is now very confused why he always seems to be sensing himself when he does so. When he knows that he should be sensing me. Persistent though he has sworn not to give up till he finds me. *LOL*

Still was just curious if you ever did set anything up or just play around with it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor

replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

*** We did not do "Shielding" at the old Jedi Academy in Force Studies 101.

I had to kind of come upon it myself by looking-around online. 

I never felt I needed it - but then - didn't know about it.  I use it now - but upon reading the "re-direct" Brandel uses I feel this might work better in a personal situation for me. 

Whether this is psychological or not - or if simply makes one more sensitive - I am not sure.  But I do know, for me, it has helped me in some difficult situations - and I also use it at my house.

???  For me shielding takes quite a bit of my energy (mental or whatever I do not know) - Brandel's redirection, after trying it, does not seem to be as difficult or as draining for some reason.

This is a really excellent discussion - and I've looked around online on shielding and the like.

;D

• Brandel Valico
  • CARPE NOCTEM

Asta a friend of mine describes it as the Aikido of shields. Since it's using the energy of the aggressor against them while instead of direct resistance the energy is simply shifted away.

It's a good description I think.

• Thank you received: 113

Setanaoko replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

You should pick up a Cuhulain book (he has one on Psychic Defense) it's pretty good.

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Still was just curious if you ever did set anything up or just play around with it.

I haven't as of yet.    Still kind of on the back-burner but definitely still something I want to explore.    Any how-to advice? 

Stryse

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds