Shields & Shielding

• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1826

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

Truthfully, ICE is a hard one. (pardon the pun)

Ice is a form of water.

Water is fluid, 'flexible' (able to assume the shape of any container it is put into), 'strong' -- it can wear down mountains, cleansing, healing....

Ice is water solidified.
One view it could be seen as immobilizing (frozen in place), or relentless (the slow and relentless march of a glacier), as well as the sparkling pristine sight of ice.. almost like water caught in an instant.

Now for FROST... sort of not quite hardcore ice and yet, not water.
Frost can coat a plant or a countryside with a thin sheen of ice which disappears after the first rays of the morning sun.  It shines and shimmers and highlights the land about us.   It coats a window pane and makes a mystery of what we might spy through the other side.   Frost lives a fragile, momentary life as it 'becomes' and quickly changes to the more lasting water form.   I suppose frost is more a form of chillin' then even in that context.

Be chillin' but do not become 'frozen'... in word, thought, or deed... for you lose the attributes of all those other elements in your life.   ;D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silver Surfer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 37

inari replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

This post is probably going to make me sound very silly and ignorant but I'll be brave and go ahead with it anyway.

I often wonder, when I read about shields etc, what all the fuss is about. Why is it necessary to do blocking and shield negativity? I cannot say that I have personally ever experienced an 'negative entity', at best I have picked up on others moods and found them affecting me to some small extent. For myself, I find that giving large amounts of attention to any bad feelings I might pick up on just seems to give them power. I have never in my recollection deliberately tried any of these techniques, at best I might respond intuitively by going and washing my hands or focusing on something else, such as an activity I enjoy or (more successful) something I am making. Once or twice I've gone around and smudged the house with incense or sage to lighten a house that is feeling a little heavy. I've never done anything formal though and generally remain a happy and balanced individual.

Is it possible that negativity can be attracted to 'drama', and that inadvertently people can invite such, all unconsciously, into their lives?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Nope, not silly at all.

I know many who have worked with energy and 'magic' and never had to make a protective circle or erect a single shield in all their time working with the stuff.    Some few played with making them just so their friends could experience one and see how tough or easy it was to slide right through them.

Yes, if one spends all their time thinking of negativity and worry about it and protecting against it... a lot can be self -generated.  But...

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.
- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

There ARE things which can poke and prod and drain but, unless one is generating alot of excess energy -- or worked themself to higher levels of functionality without learning how to 'blend in' then... ya, they typically do not come a' calling.

However, I have known a few people who were very minor in the energy aspect but highly empathic and tended to get totally messed up by all the emotions, thoughts, and energy they were getting all at once... and no personal filters in place to calm & quiet the din.  Those folks did suffer until they got some grounding and 'mind protection' for their own peace of mind.

Long before studying about all this stuff... I used to go out in the sun and lay against a stone wall and let the heat and light in.  Always seemed to 'recharge' me.  Now, I could probably charge for 'sunning sessions' at some spa and make some easy cash.  :p

• Thank you received: 1840

Jax replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

I've thought for a while that negative entities were attracted to negative entity, so if you got rid of negativity the negative entities would leave.  I've been told repeatedly by those who know more (aka not humans) that I'm wrong - though negativity is often present, a person doesn't need to have a lot of drama and negativity to attract nasties.  They are attracted to bright light of any type.  and if something is looking for a nice source of energy to leach off of it will find whatever negativity it needs to get a hold. A good shield will typically keep away normal day to day stuff.  It will slow down the more powerful which most people won't have to worry about.  However, we're all generally training to improve our connection to the Force, which is going to make us 'brighter' in energy, and thus a more likely target.  I'd guess most people still never have to worry about it, but I think it'd be a shame for someone to not know the basics of how to handle a situation if it did arise.

I guess one could say we shouldn't let the negativity around us bother us, and that's certainly true.  But how many people do we see completely overwhelmed by others emotions so that it's really derailing their life?  It's pretty darn hard to get any control over life when you can't get any relief from the world.  I don't think people should be paranoid about it at all, but it's a tool to use if one wishes. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Silver Surfer

• Thank you received: 37

inari replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

So...from what Jax is saying (and please do not take this personally, I'm exploring a way that this could be looked at here) if one does not feel like one needs to be shielding oneself, one has not developed their power and are not progressing as a Jedi? There is a potential with that line of thought for people to be making more of negative events in their life so that they can be seen to be attracting negative entities and indirectly be seen as progressing by that.

I'm not dissing the shielding. I'm just trying to make sense of and explore why people might feel that they need to shield or protect themselves, beyond 'instinctive' things like Kol's sunning himself or my hand-washing. Much of your experience has come via Carrie, and most of the rest of us don't have such experiences. I've never even seen a ghost! (And a disappointment it is to me too).

• Thank you received: 1840

Jax replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

No, that isn't what I said, so I'll clarify.  I'm saying that since people are developing their power (irregardless of shielding) they are going to naturally be a more desired target.  This increases their chance of being affected by energy stealers of all varieties.  And that's why shielding is in their best interest.  It keeps the more mundane things like those that unknowingly drain people's energy from affecting them.  Since we have enough ways to burn through our own energy it seems to me that we'd like to reduce others tapping into our energy supply.  And for the more powerful beings that steal energy it will at least make you less of a target because it takes more work for them to get to you.  Is that clearer? 

I know many times I've seen students talk about being drained by people, taking on their emotions without knowing how or why, people that have been dealing with it for years and have lost control over a good portion of their life simply because they didn't know how to control access to their energy.  If someone doesn't want to shield, that is their choice, but they should have the option.  Without knowing how they have lost control over their most basic self which impacts all aspects of health and well being.  That's why I believe people need to learn to shield. 

Besides, the ghosts are usually the least mundane thing out there. ;-)

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.
  • Thank you received: 86

Stryse replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

Blessed are the paranoid, ever wary of our enemies.    -Elder Scrolls IV

I have found that people with a very strong sense of safety already, tend to have a good natural ability with warding.  Some of them, I think, shield themselves without even knowing it.    Instinctual shielding vs some form of consciously projected one... which has its pros and cons.    Its just one of the many feats a Jedi can perform via the Force, though, and an ability or desire to do so is not something I'd really look at as indicitive of one's progress, or lack there of.    That being said, it doesn't hurt the Jedi to have a strong working knowledge of such things.    I'd probably not advocate becoming the bubble-boy, like from the movie.  Some people may find themselves in a situation where having a constant shield is highly desirable, but for most of us, its something we put up as the situation dictates.  Plus its very difficult, if not impossible, to ward against everything.    Though that may be a good distinction to make.  While not everyone employs a shield, everyone employs an abjuration of some form or another on a near-daily basis.    A decision of "I am not going to allow bad customer service to ruin my good mood" is a rather rudimentary abjuration, but one nonetheless.

I do think that Inari raises some good points for Jedi to consider though.    Paranoia has its pros and cons too.  :)  There are things that go bump in the night, and they may or may not bump into you.    Jax is quite right in that as a Jedi, the side effect of deeping our connection to the Force is that we raise our vibration, so to speak, making us stand out more in the crowd of (to go harry potter on you) muggles.  So that increases the odds of something bumping into you, but doesn't necessarily make it inevitable that you'll be the victim of such an attack.  The Law of Attraction, being what it is, suggests though that if you're constantly focused on negativity, negativity is what you'll be drawing to you.  People who live in a bubble may well be under frequent attack.  Partly this is them attracting it and partly this is them not dealing with the root cause that led them to live in the bubble in the first place. 

You can get a good feel for what the Author of any book on magic finds important by jumping to the spell section and seeing what they put first.    If its on shielding and such, its a good bet that author has had personal dealings with the boogie-men and may also border on the paranoid.  Maybe they don't know any other tricks of their trade, like the hand-washing Inari mentioned.  Yet you pick up another book and the first set of spells is on finding a mate.  That author has different priorities.  It can be quite telling.

So i take it all with a grain of salt.    Psychic attacks seem more the exception than the rule, at least in the broader sense of human experience.  That isn't to say certain individuals will find it more the rule than the exception in their own lives. 

As someone with some vampiric tendancies of my own (and frankly, I think its within everyone's power to leech... if we take things like the Celestine Prophecy at its word... humanity at large has been conditioned to be vampires)... I find the best defense against energy suckers is a good offense...  leech back, just for a moment.  It will most likely freak them out (they're energy-starved as it is, and finding their 'food source' is causing a further deficit on their part generally gets them to back way way off).  That may not be nearly as effective with those who are like I once was, unwittingly sucking up other people's energy, though on a subsconcious level they will probably still pick up on what you're doing and then subconsciously redirect their efforts elsewhere. 

With energy suckers, they're certainly an annoyance... but the Force provides us an endless supply of 'stuff' to recharge our 'batteries' so any damage done can be pretty easily rectified.  It may take time, if the victim has been suffering for a good while... I know a guy that when I met him appeared devoid of any life force.  (Obviously he had some.. but was definitely lacking in it.)    Took a few weeks of having him regularly plugging into mother earth to get him to 'normal,' but even after his first session there was marked improvement in his overall demeanor.  If you're aware you're being drained, you can channel new energy to replace what is being lost pretty much as fast as its being taken from you, thus leaving you generally unphased... but this of course requires you be consciously aware of the drain in the first place and you may have your conscious mind engaged on other things... so a shield is helpful against the unexpected.

Empaths, though, face a different sort of challenge.  Dealing with the emotional states of others and how that affects them.    Shields can, again, be a useful tool to get a handle on it, but in the long run, you're better off learning how to to cope with your gift than you are simply blocking everything from reaching you.  There are, afterall, plenty of situations where you want other people's emotions, those of your loved ones for instance, getting through.  We all like to feel loved (well most of us anyway).  Hence why empaths learn to filter things rather than outright shield themselves.  Still in the school of abjuration, just a different kind of approach.

Necessity being a requirement, however, for any abjuration, if one does not feel an imperative to protect themselves through things like shields, the shield would fail anyway assuming you managed to put it up at all (without imperative, you probably won't).  So in the end, like everything, it comes down to the individual and what their needs are.   

Again, its advisable for Jedi to have a good working knoweldge of shields and how to use them.  That means practice with them, and practice with a variety to see which works best for which situations.    If you're fortunate enough to have another Jedi around... practice together with erecting a shield and having the other person attack it.    You do need to know what an attack feels like so that you'll know when you're under a real attack and be able to take appropriate action.    Best to learn that feeling with someone who doesn't actually mean you any harm.  :)

It seems the more popular shields are those that i like to term the "Star Trek Shields."  They're very effective, and also very energy-intensive to maintain.  Typically what happens is that as consciousness is redirected to other activities  (work, life, etc.), the shield operates at a low level of energy, and is not able to block things with great efficiency.  So an attack comes, and some of it makes it through the shield.  The person feels this, hopefully realizes what is happening, and then the "Shields Up!" command is given and tremendous amounts of their personal energy is funnelled into the shield to strengthen it while they take action against whatever is attacking them. 

Not the most efficient shield to use in an 'always-on' state. 

For most day-to-day affairs, though, what Kol has put together on the elements is probably going to be all you need employ to deal with the situations you encounter. 

Shields are useful when you find yourself under seige.  They give you breathing room, and ultimately as Jax was saying, can put you back in control of a situation, or at least back in control of your own energy (which you'll need control of to deal with whatever needs your attention).    This gives you the opportunity to step back, assess the situation, and target the root problem so that you can get back to a care-free life and not have to worry quite so much about shielding yourself all the time. 

Of course if I have a trouble-some spirit... I'm either going to put it to work in my garden, or set it on fire. 

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Is it possible that negativity can be attracted to 'drama', and that inadvertently people can invite such, all unconsciously, into their lives?

Reminds me of a phrase from long ago...  Nattering nabob of negativity

To pull from the works of Eckhart Tolle...

Most of the so-called bad things that happen in people's lives are due to unconsciousness.....they are self created, or rather ego-created...."drama".  When you are fully conscious, drama does not come into your life anymore....the basic ego patterns are designed to combat it's own deep seated fear and sense of lack.  They are resistance, control, power, greed, defense, and attack.  Some of the ego's strategies are extremely clever, yet they never truly solve any of it's problems, simply because the ego is the problem itself.
(The Power of the NOW by Eckhart Tolle p150)

"Whenever two or more egos come together, drama of one kind or another ensues.  But even if you live totally alone, you still create your own drama.  When you feel sorry for yourself, that's drama.  When you feel guilty or anxious, that's drama.  When you let the past or future obscure the present, you are creating time, psychological time -- the stuff out of which drama is made.  (The Power of the NOW p150-151)

Most people are in love with their particular life drama.  Their story is their identity.  The ego runs their life.  They have their whole sense of self invested in it.  Even their--usually unsuccessful---search for an answer, a solution, or for healing becomes part of it.  What they fear and resist most is the end of their drama....You cannot have an argument with a fully conscious person.  An argument implies identification with your mind and a mental position, as well as resistance and reaction to the person's position. (The Power of the NOW p151)

Some folks seem to not be 'happy' unless they are sad.  They have a real skill at turning every positive into a negative of some form or another.  I sometimes wonder why anyone would wish to constantly live with such negativity and negative energy... finding monsters at every turn.   There are those who are comfortable with their 'monsters' I suppose.

Is it possible to 'invite' negative energy and potentially, pesky negative entities into one's life?
No doubt... though not all negative persons have etheric 'monkeys' on their backs.... even though some self generated negativity would seem to 'be' like a weight on their shoulders.    Some might point to the 'like attracts like'... though with magnetism it is 'opposites attract and like repel'... silly science.   :P

Being negative is way easier then being positive for many.  Kind of like being a walking zombie/sleepwalker in this world versus waking up and working to 'be' more then a sleeper.

An entity might latch on to someone for any reason... though having negative bits going on is considered the prime (typical) reason for them to be hanging about.  But, shields and hyper energetic tactics are not always called for.  Having a good solid awareness of self and not letting negativity drag you down ALL the time can be enough for some to keep them safe and secure.  Others... sometimes might need a bit more.

Anyway, knowing about shielding is a 'nice to know' kind of thing.  Might never use them but to have worked with them and have a feel for them can be instructional.   Kind of like me... I know how to use a knife, shoot a pistol and rifle and a bow and arrow.... but they are not skills I typically use on a day to day basis.

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Drama?  I'll tell you what Drama Is.

Drama is going into that boutique you just love
and you have seen the dress of life!
and some skinny-wench size 2 says it doesn't come in your size.
That's Drama!

-Random lyrics from a song whose title I have forgotten.

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Some folks seem to not be 'happy' unless they are sad.  They have a real skill at turning every positive into a negative of some form or another.  I sometimes wonder why anyone would wish to constantly live with such negativity and negative energy... finding monsters at every turn.   There are those who are comfortable with their 'monsters' I suppose.

Something I've had to contend with on an almost daily basis for the past six months or so...   living with someone who I start to feel just wallows in self-misery for the sake of being angry all the time.    On the one hand I totally get the frustration that results in this pessimistic attitude and the negative-nancyism that transpires over every single thing that is witnessed.    On the other hand, I see someone who is only choosing to hone in on the perceived-wrongness in the world and choosing to ignore the flip-side of that coin and acknowledge any of the perceived-goodness that permeates the same world and events.  

Sadly its put me into a sort of 'bubble-boy' mode as when this person gets into one of these ever-more-frequent moods... quite a bit of negativity radiates from him and its frankly just exhausting to contend with on a daily basis.    It becomes overwhelming and I retreat to the safety of personal shield to keep myself from getting caught up in it.   I guess there comes a point where you stop helping people fight their monsters because your own health and well-being is starting to suffer.

So in answer to Inari's question... I'd say yes, its certainly possible.   Not always the case, but negativity can breed more negativity in the mind if the person isn't working through the root of thier issues.    Sometimes that can lead to the generation a thought-form entity that just exacerbates the situation.

So much is perspective and I suppose it can be quite frustrating for a Jedi to help a non-Jedi work through some of these kinds of issues.    We've worked very hard to overcome our preconceived notions and social-programming to free our minds to see 'bigger pictures' in life.     Where its not perspective, its usually strategy (the method by which the individual in question is coping and the effectiveness of that methodology in the particular situation at hand.)

In this situation I'm facing, its actually created something of a conflict between us, because I tend to come down in the middle on most issues, seeing where both sides are coming from and having my own point-of-view that tries to incorporate input from both sets of arguments...    

Then I'm the one someone is angry with because I don't share the blatant contempt they are expressing, instead having a more ambivalent attitude about it.   So I'm now being seen as someone who just wants to take whatever road is in opposition to his point of view... which isn't really the case... but there is a difference in seeing someone's point of view and agreeing with the assessment resulting from that point of view....  Trying to show someone a different perspective is kind of a 50-50 proposition...

It can also be very sad and frustrating to watch someone you care about deteriorate into a 'monster' in their own right because of their inability to cope with their own drama and refusal to open their minds to entertain different points of view.    Maybe that's what we call the 'crotchety-old-man-syndrome.'  Or maybe that's what is really meant by 'the dark side.'

All in all, though, I have to take this situation as a personal mission from the Force... one of my own trials to face and overcome.     As I said somewhere else in these forums... Jedi are ministers, and I have some ministering to do with this person to help him find peace with the world he lives in....   which fortunately will teach me a few things from the experience of doing it.

Stryse

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds