Shields & Shielding

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.
  • Thank you received: 86

Stryse replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

Nice to know I've gained a little bit of knowledge in this.  Though hopefully you can see from my standpoint too when your handed the actual magick texts, it can be very daunting to find the connections and parallels you and Kol have found.  I'm just glad someone could make it a little clearer =]

Phoenix

I know that feeling all too well.  :) 

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

So, shielding is more then 'just' slipping on an etheric body suit of 'energy armor'.
(Guess this dovetails into Stryse's posts on thought forms since... in this case, your mind and imagination is the limit.)

Yup, and my subpost in the "Artes of Power" thread on Abjurations too.  :)

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 1849

Jax replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

I guess I don't have that same problem because I didn't use magickal texts for anything but properties of herbs and rocks.  Instead my knowledge has come from non-denominational sources so to speak, as well as individuals here and there.  I always found ceremony and ritual didn't resonate with me.  It is good to pull together information like this as well as references that go in depth, like Robert Bruce's books.  Does anyone have books that were useful to them, or was everything a garbled mess? ;-)  I'm trying to remember others myself.

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 249

Memnoich replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

currently reading Practical Psychic self defense by Robert Bruce, so far it's interesting.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1892

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

Quick note to clarify my statement of psychic vamps based on Kol's statement: we were dealing with trained and experienced vamps, who were intentionally targeting Carrie and did so on multiple occasions before they met with rather grave consequences.  They were reminded that an energy injury really does damage the physical body.  I don't have ill will toward the unintentional drainers and wouldn't call them vamps either since there isn't intent.  Besides, they call themselves vamps (the trained ones that is) so it seems to be a term most agree on.

But that brings up another reason for doing all this that may not be stated explicitly enough: this is about your health on all levels, including physical.  We all wash our hands at some point to avoid getting sick from germs, think of shielding as hand washing for your energy body.  It keeps us from getting an energy cold. ;-)

Jax...
I was not disrespecting your post or use of the term.
The term itself was being judged... and maybe a little of those who play at vampire who should get a thwap upside their head sometimes.

Yes. There *are* some real things which can be very nasty.

I have yet to post the more advanced method of shielding.... because it is really more about ... anything can get through a shield so .... like an old wild west gunfighter you have to be quicker on the draw (and shoot straight doing so) to 'get them before they get you'.  So, a bit more  -- the best defense is a better offense... by being able to trace links/connections properly to go and 'fry them' before they eat you -- sort of thing.  Again, a bit more advanced consciousness work and something I would hope is not in huge and necessary demand for the Jedi community. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silver Surfer

• Thank you received: 1849

Jax replied the topic: Re: Shields & Shielding

I didn't think you were, I was simply clarifying so people were clear that there are the untrained which don't know what they do and the trained which are purposely hunting.  And yes, they should get a good thwapping, as they did.  No one died, but it did put them down for a while.

I send Icarus a note to check this thread out, she taught me about camouflaging which isn't too advanced, but adds another good layer to things.  :-)  I'm not too worried about things either, just going through my library and trying to recall where I learned things and how to reference them. ;-) 

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Why we should all use Protection
            (and get your minds outta the gutter!)

- with special thanks to Natalie Harter

Protection magic is always a popular topic in magic circles.  Obviously, I feel it is important since I've posted all kinds of ways to help the beginner and beyond.  Some of my friends 'in the know' can speak on how, those working with magical energies (or the Force)  tend to emit a brighter energetic “shine,” and are more visible, and therefore susceptible, to the less beneficial energies and influences in the world. Basically, if you are tapped into the current, you are bound to attract some not-so-helpful energies from time to time. Being more open and receptive to the world can sometimes be a difficult thing.

The trick is knowing how to protect yourself. Just as in our emotional lives, putting up an impenetrable shield is not really an option. Sure, you are protected, but you are also closed off from all the good things in the world. Emotionally and energetically speaking, you can put up a fortress to keep the pain away, but you also keep away the joy, and end up feeling a whole lot of nothing, which is about as detrimental to your well being as being ransacked by bad spirits.  Plus, no matter how 'thick' the barrier or how many layers are in place, there are 'ways' to get through and still mess you up.

At one time or another, just about anyone who gets into working with Force energy will be pestered by 'an attack' or an overload of incoming emotions, feelings, and 'vibes'.  One writer (can not recall at the moment who) suggests that, out of all the 'attacks', overload or curses,  somewhere around 90% of what we consider to be external attacks really stem from ourselves.  Whaaaa?

Consider: with all the self-deprecatory commentary most of us have running in our heads, some of that stuff is bound to manifest. Of all people, energy workers believe in the power of thought and intention.  Conversely, no one can live perpetually shielding themselves in white light, and only thinking happy thoughts and making positive affirmations. Your shadow has to come out somewhere, and if you’re trying hard to repress it, it’s bound to come out in ways that aren’t convenient. As in all things, balance is key, which is why we also take a balanced approach to protection.

It is Elementary, My Dear Watson

For those times when you’re feeling “not quite yourself,” and are left questioning whether some thing harmful, either from yourself or from an external source, has entered your space, try the elemental approach.  In a state of fear and confusion, we are in danger of acting rashly. Instead of being reactionary and potentially harmful, we should be 'cool and steady, like a Rock' (as wisely spoken by the Rock Man in the animated film, The Point, circa 1971.  A classic!)

And, in keeping with the release of The Last Airbender this weekend, I'll give you the elemental methods of basic protection.

Earth — Grounding

The lesson of earth is one of grounded-ness. If we are firm in our base, we are less easily swayed (or knocked over) by unfortunate circumstances and encounters. We practice grounded-ness by being fully present in our lives and our bodies. This is more easily said than done, which is why it is a practice, a process, something we continually work at. When done right, however, grounding is one of the most important tools you have in your tool box; not just working with energy (or magic) but in all avenues of Life and Living.

We can do this most simply by engaging in physical practice that gives us a sense of embodiment, and, in tough or scattered times, by simply making contact with the earth beneath us whenever we can.  I know some can not kick off their shoes and walk a beach or dig their toes into dark, rich soil... but squat down and lay your hands flat on the ground (or grass) or in a pinch, on the concrete and feel the heaviness drain out of your body and the 'solid-ness' of the Earth come into your body.  (Never hurts to check on the heartbeat of good old Mother Earth).

Water — Boundary

The water element teaches us about our boundaries. Another reason why Force using folk are more often on the receiving end of harmful energies or emotional overload is because so many of us are naturally empathic, often more so than the average person. As an empathic individual, your personal space is more permeable to outside influences, and you need to be especially vigilant about maintaining healthy boundaries.  Dollars to donuts, I bet Jax and others can tell you, the first thing many learn in physical self-defense classes is how to shout the word “no” at your attacker.  In daily life, learning to say “no” to others can be just as powerful.

You want to be able to interact with others and the world, but not take on a mess of energy that does not belong to you, and shielding can help you with this.  But, use the techniques we outline all over the place so you are not setting yourself up for sleepless nights and raging headaches!  Plus, one can use water to help 'wash away' the fatigue and stale energies one accumulates in a day.  Doing a 'shower ritual' of letting the water (and your fatigue or heavy energy) go 'down the drain' can help re-energize you.  Salt baths.  Dancing in the rain.  Water is our friend.

Air — Flexibility

Air teaches us how to be mentally agile and flexible. So often it is our perspective of a situation, or our obsessive attachment to it, that causes us to be embroiled in it and unable to get free. Think like the Hanged Man in the tarot; flip your perspective, and see if greater understanding results. Sometimes the perspective that needs shifting is the one we put forth in detrimental thoughts about ourselves and others.

Neutralize those detrimental thoughts. Once thought or spoken, something cannot be taken back, but it can be neutralized. This can be done simply by saying “I neutralize that thought.”  Self analysis time... look at a given situation where you are 'all tied up in knots' or 'eating away at my self (or stomach or whatever) and you can pretty much bet if you REALLY take a step back and look at it objectively, one can see how all our own 'personal filters' tend to make what was pretty innocuous into something horrendous and energy draining (using excess energy to get all hot and bothered or letting it drain energy away in stress, uptight-ness, etc.) 

Be airy but not contrary.  POV -- point of view -- can be a tricky thing.  Look how 'everyone is against me' Anakin was by the time he nearly strangled his preggers wife on the lava world while Obi Wan tried to show him how he had done it all to himself.  Take time to smell the roses (or the wind).  Feel the heat of summer or the crispness of Autumn or the bite of Winter.  Air has a character and flavor of its own which changes with the weather and the mood.  Breathe!  It makes your life so much nicer when you do it.

Fire — Action

After all the grounding and perspective shifting, sometimes action is necessary. Knowing how and when to act is the lesson of fire. This may manifest as protective work.  Fire can burn us or keep the 'monsters at bay', keep us warm on a chilly night or light the way.  Fire can reduce to ashes... or purify.  Have a spirit of fire but do not let the fires of passion get out of control.  Spend time staring at a candle flame or a campfire.  Fire is mystery and flickering and colors and a connection with our ancestors who worked hard to get the darn thing burning in the first place.  Fire (Force energy) -- "... it surrounds us, it penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together."

The Force — Compassion

Through studying and working with the Force, we realize that all things are connected.  If we are being attacked by another in some way, the empathic nature of Force use helps one to realize that the person would not be inflicting harm on others if he or she were not also hurt in some way.  While understanding the root of the problem does not excuse others from hurting you, it does help shift your perspective, and generates a more compassionate way of dealing with the situation.

Similarly, if you’re sifting through a quagmire of detrimental thoughts about yourself, it’s probably stemming from your own hurt. When you are really grounded, comfortable and confident in your skin, the harmful voices in your head are nearly silenced. 

There will likely be many situations where you can not pass it off with 'enlightenment and compassion; a method I use is to simply laugh it off.  Nothing frustrates (or dissipates) malevolence more than laughter;  being able to see the humor in any situation... even if it is the humor of the 'cosmic jest' on one's self.  Being able to look askew at any given situation takes one out of the standard 'box' of knee jerk give and take and let's one see things in new ways.

Of course, if all these homey tidbits do not work as well as a kiss on the boo-boo... you can use the methods given by Jax, Stryse, myself and others and work with white light and shields and more.  But, really, learning how to stay sane in an insane world is a really good 'first protection' to have handy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silver Surfer, Isen SoRac III

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Very nice!  As someone who has had life-safety beaten into his head for the last three years now, I can certainly attest to the fact that protection starts as a frame-of-mind. 

I don't suppose you have anything for an oft-unmentioned essentia...  that of Frost (Ice)?

Stryse

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

-- Robert Frost

Considering the six Star Wars films.
We see fire on Mustafar and ice on Hoth... the two extremes of elements and conditions.

Consider the poem by Mr. Frost.
Some read it and only see the literal 'destruction of the world'... alluding to the typical biblical 'endings' which are oft times put forth.

Others read beyond the obvious and see this as a statement on relationship(s).

One can 'burn' with desire and a passion beyond reason in a relationship.  Look at the Mustafar-ian 'fire-y passion' of Anakin -- as it is so intense he literally 'burns up'.  How much a prison his Vader mechanics and life sustaining suit must be when one of extreme passion and feeling can no longer feel or touch those he wishes to love most.

And yet, what of ice?
While one may have 'an icy calm' about them; most times it is the frigid or icy stare, the cold shoulder, the bone chilling intensity of hatred which is spoken of.  Hoth is a prime example -- Vader is putting all his forces out across the galaxy to hunt down the rebels and capture/kill his many enemies... and casually Force strangles a commanding officer in his rage at losing his quarry.  

"Boy, there's nothing worse than an inscrutable omen."
—Calvin, Calvin And Hobbes

Not everything is a metaphor!
—Candace, Phineas And Ferb

But, I suppose you wish to add Ice (Frost) to my previous list...

Ice -- Chillin'
There are times when the best course of action is to take a 'time out'... or swallow a chill pill so one can marshal one's energies, get calm and collected, centered, grounded before taking that first "knee jerk" reaction to whatever situation was about to 'set us off'.

Chillin' (or taking time to relax) can make a huge difference in one's mindset and mind talk.  Being able to 'come down off the stormy precipice' and chill can mean the difference between doing and saying things we might regret in hindsight... and being more in the moment and being aware of how to best handle the situation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silver Surfer

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Ice -- Chillin'
There are times when the best course of action is to take a 'time out'... or swallow a chill pill so one can marshal one's energies, get calm and collected, centered, grounded before taking that first "knee jerk" reaction to whatever situation was about to 'set us off'.

Chillin' (or taking time to relax) can make a huge difference in one's mindset and mind talk.  Being able to 'come down off the stormy precipice' and chill can mean the difference between doing and saying things we might regret in hindsight... and being more in the moment and being aware of how to best handle the situation.

My set is complete!  :)  Thanks.    I guess in this context, Ice would be my coping mechanism of choice. 

Stryse

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds