Institute Bookstore

• Thank you received: 2

Khaldun Vesenaj replied the topic: Institute Bookstore

I was content with being a 'lurker' here...

But my weak point is books (and then training) Sooo, this will be a few recommendations as well as my informal intro to this nifty site. First off, I'd like to mention, this is the only Jedi site I am currently on. There is a plethora of sites for Jedi (never investigated before...doh!) But this one 'feels' like the best fit for now.

I've been training in martial arts since 16, (44 now)..Did the military for 8 years...have worked professionally as a bouncer/bodyguard/etc for over 25 years. "Retired" from that field Jan 1, 2014.
I mention all this, yes, as an intro...But also so you may judge where I am coming from as far as my book recommendations.

I feel like I began my 'un' training in 2000. ( My avatar pic is from 2006(?) ) (When I first started being called Jedi at classes...)

Ok, intro over...

The book that began my 'un' training?

The Art of Peace by Morihei Ueshiba
Amazon - www.amazon.com/Art-Peace-Shambhala-Classics-ebook/dp/B004QWZDTQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1443596131&sr=1-1&keywords=art+of+peace

ebook/pdf - www.aikidoseiki.com/doc/aikido_the_art_of_peace_eng.pdf

This handy pocket sized edition I carried for years, very convenient touchstone to have with one. And, of course Ueshiba is the Man as well. A real life St. Yoda.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morihei_Ueshiba

www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/morihei_ueshiba.html

Another book that was surprisingly well suited for my 'un' training?
Shen Ku by Zeek -
www.amazon.com/Art-Shen-Ku-Intergalactic-Universe/dp/0399527257/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1443596793&sr=1-1&keywords=shen+ku

Surprising, because I picked it up thinking this a comic book. (and basically it is :)
But if you actually READ it...As someone who has studied and read martial arts related books for 30 years, I can say truthfully, that I have given out this book as gift to others, or had copies of mine disappear more than any other book I have read.)

How good is this book?
I went to Thailand and met Zeek. He's crazy. (In a great way) But also Crazy skilled. He lives what he teaches. He's about ten years (Maybe 20? who can tell?) older than me. Built like a solid piece of wood, and while I May have seen people As fast....I've never seen anyone faster than him.

When I have given this book as gifts, People are always like, "It's a comic book, gee, thanks." Then, months, or years later, they're like "GEEZ, that book was awesome!" Think of it as cliff notes of every decent martial arts book you've ever read. Whole schools of thought are condensed sometimes on 1 page. So make fun of it being a comic if you will....but Read it.

(FYI, Every couple of years I literally buy 5 more copies, and over the years they vanish or are gifted :)

Ok...

Next up, another man I trained briefly with in Michigan...Glenn Morris. This is when my 'un' training began diving deep.

Has some goodies..

Path Notes of an American Ninja Master - www.amazon.com/Path-Notes-American-Ninja-Master/dp/1556431570/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443595668&sr=8-1&keywords=glenn+morris

ebook/ pdf - www.pdfarchive.info/pdf/M/Mo/Morris_Glenn_-_Path_notes_of_an_american_ninja_master.pdf

Shadow Strategies of an American Ninja Master - www.amazon.com/Shadow-Strategies-American-Ninja-Master/dp/1883319293/ref=pd_bxgy_14_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DAZ9T3WXHS272NDMDJF

Martial Arts Madness - www.amazon.com/Martial-Arts-Madness-Users-Esoteric/dp/1883319773/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0B6JXNWJQ48PTBRHBWH8&dpID=51EBNjPhaUL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107%2C160_

Has 1(2?) more books(?) Lobster Bisque, and maybe one more, but I haven't read them. Path Notes was my introduction to his authorship, YEARS after I had met him, and Path Notes I feel will always be my fav. For anyone traveling down the rabbit hole, (or looking for that rabbit hole) Path Notes might just be the most approachable, and based in experience written guide I have come across.

The Root of Chinese Qigong: Secrets of Health, Longevity, & Enlightenment
Jwing-Ming, Yang - www.amazon.com/gp/product/1886969507?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I checked this out of the library so many times over the years I finally purchased a copy a couple years ago. Best 20 bucks spent on a book ever.

For the past few years I believe my 'un' training has reached new depths (heights) with my involvement with Systema.
I thought Aikido was soft? I thought Bujinkan - Hoshin were soft? Qi - Gong? I didn't know what soft was (Thought I did!) till I began playing with Systema.

Lots out there about Systema, if you do your research, I recommend sticking with Ryabko (Trained with a few times (A blast) and Vasiliev.
My fav book so far?

Let Every Breath by Vasiliev - www.amazon.com/Every-Breath-Secrets-Russian-Masters/dp/0978104900/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1443598043&sr=1-1&keywords=let+every+breath

Every few years it seems I have collected a few 'padawan's?' ...I ask them if they want to be Bruce Lee...They do? Coolio, then we start with the building blocks. B R E A T H.
If they stick around long enough we graduate to Walking. Generally I have found that if someone actually learns Breath, and Walking, they are about as Bruce Lee as they'll ever get. It's that important.
(FYI, if they're still around? we start rolling....and then move to sword....) I have never had the experience/pleasure of learning with someone past sword.)

Other books I just have dug over the years;

CHAOS - www.amazon.com/Chaos-Making-Science-James-Gleick-ebook/dp/B004Q3RRPI/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1443599172&sr=1-1&keywords=chaos

On the Nature of Things - www.amazon.com/Nature-Things-Illustrated-Lucretius-ebook/dp/B009OU60D8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1443599429&sr=1-1&keywords=lucretius+on+the+nature+of+things
(Probably some ebooks for free, too)

Everything written by Alan Watts (More Rabbit Hole goodies :)
alanwatts.com/life-and-works/
An example -
The Book On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDYQFjADahUKEwi-nYzgo57IAhWBKYgKHUqcCZU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.holybooks.com%2Fthe-book-on-the-taboo-against-knowing-who-you-are%2F&usg=AFQjCNEwZ3yGf9ugJqvZoOTe3x9en-vhdA&sig2=mCqw5r3J5I6UXdxFolfbJw&bvm=bv.104226188,d.cGU

As an avid trainer/reader/teacher
(Teaching...side note: Tell you a secret...The student hardly Ever learns as much as the teacher learns from teaching...Always made me feel guilty!)
I could go on and ON, but That's all for now...

Sheesh! Literally, this is the longest I have ever posted on the Internet, (seriously) but like I said, my weakness is good training and great books.

Thanks for letting me peek around this nifty site of yours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1762

Jax replied the topic: Institute Bookstore

Shen Ku is definitely an interesting book. A cool place to start for people interested in something 'different'.

When you get a chance, you could post a book review for any of these in the book reviews section. Or jump in on the other areas of the board with what you've learned. ;-)

• Thank you received: 523

Atticus replied the topic: Institute Bookstore

I have a lot of Yang Jwing-Ming. Very approachable.

I'm currently bogged down about halfway through Watts' The Book. I would have blazed through it if I didn't have to write something new about each chapter, and for whatever reason Chapter Four just seems to be reciting things that are either completely obvious or which I've already covered.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

I want to remind everyone that this exists. :-) Especially note the amazon link where you can buy anything and have it benefit us as well (most likely)
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=institute_for_jedi_realist_studies-20&path=subst/home/home.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tsjêbbe

• Thank you received: 117

Tsjêbbe replied the topic: Institute Bookstore

Interesting, thanks Jax!

"Little decisions over time make a big impact on our lives.” - Eric Samuel Timm

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

No clue if it will work internationally, but it doesn't hurt to try. :-)

• Thank you received: 117

Tsjêbbe replied the topic: Institute Bookstore

still, interesting titles which are worth to look up

"Little decisions over time make a big impact on our lives.” - Eric Samuel Timm

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Yes, you can certainly use it as a starting point. Then you can look up titles in your own country. You can also try the libraries to see if you can get some more cheaply.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds