Just realized I may have skipped this part...

• Thank you received: 36

Sam Thift created the topic: Just realized I may have skipped this part...

Hello All:

I may have gotten a tad excited and tried jumping straight into the introductory course workbook without bothering to give a little introduction of myself here...

My apologies.

I am a mid-30s, husband, father, student, government professional, former Marine. That covers most of the roles society would assign to me right now.

I live in Denver with my wife and 7 year old daughter. I am a working professional in state government management, finishing my graduate studies (one more task this Fall!), and generally keep myself rather busy between family, work, and school. As if no one else does.

I am an intellectual. I do not have any massive or consistent "hobbies" per se, but I will devour me some books! I predominately read non-fiction, historical, or otherwise informing materials that could assist my understanding of various issues I take interest to. Every so often I will chew up a quick dystopian novel for kicks and giggles.

I am not the religious type. I was brought up in a mostly christian household, but have not attended/participated in a church since I was an adolescent. As it is, those teachings to dominate my core belief systems, though I would challenge some of the out right doctrine itself. Similarly, my wife was raised in an equally mostly buddhist household, though she too is not an active practitioner of that faith system. The overlap of these two, and other religions I have read on and even formally studied in college coursework, has been enough of a suggestion to me that I need not adhere to the strictures of organized traditional religions as much as I ought to work towards bettering myself as a person of respect and good character. I wrangled for a time with figuring out how to define the universal commonalities I found to be apparent in all such traditional religious institutions, particularly with respect to how to approach the subjects of spirituality, etc., with my daughter, and currently feel the "Force" to be the best explanation of the interconnectedness of all things, and how the universality of the truths are available to those who seek them.

I look forward to developing my understanding and relationship of the Force as I interact with the materials available here through IJRS, and all of you!

I hope to offer as much to the experience as I draw from it, and welcome any and all questions, advice, pointers, etc. as they may arise.

May the Force be with us all!

Sam
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1774

Jax replied the topic: Just realized I may have skipped this part...

Hi Sam, I didn't realize you were also in Denver. We'll have to get together sometime. I live southeast in Aurora. My daughter is only 2 1/4 but loves playing with older kids. Are you on facebook? We have a Colorado Jedi group and we'll be organizing a camping trip later this summer.

I better get my kiddo to bed. Talk to you soon.

• Thank you received: 36

Sam Thift replied the topic: Just realized I may have skipped this part...

Jax wrote: Hi Sam, I didn't realize you were also in Denver. We'll have to get together sometime. I live southeast in Aurora. My daughter is only 2 1/4 but loves playing with older kids. Are you on facebook? We have a Colorado Jedi group and we'll be organizing a camping trip later this summer.

I better get my kiddo to bed. Talk to you soon.

Yes...I saw that you're in the metro area, and had something to do with the Marines too!? I live in SW Denver/Littleton-ish...but work downtown...could look at coffee or lunch someday.

What is the Colorado Facebook group page? I'll check it out...

Looking forward to seeing some of your thoughts on my introductory coursework.

Thanks!

• Thank you received: 1347

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Just realized I may have skipped this part...

First of no problem for jumping right into work and as we already work together through your Intro Course now also an official welcome here!
Hope your journey will get You where You want to go and I'm looking forward to all the things we can share and learn from each other. :meditate

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• Thank you received: 1774

Jax replied the topic: Just realized I may have skipped this part...

Here's the direct link to the fb page. www.facebook.com/groups/512362868815379/

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds