Yo Jedis

• Thank you received: 1424

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Yo Jedis

Aye, I full second what Kol Drake said and I'm also happy to see You back and to hear that You are doing not all too bad.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nick
  • Nick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Don't Stop Believing... in yourself!
  • Thank you received: 138

Nick replied the topic: Yo Jedis

Kol Drake wrote: Life -- the training interruption one can never ignore. :)

Glad to 'see' you back. And congrats on the job shift. Change can be good -- sometimes.

Re: injuries...
I'll go all Captain Obvious and advise going slow and taking it in small steps so it is not a larger issue later. Nothing wrong with 'baby steps' if it means long term recovery.

So -- :welcome

I know all about starting slow, taking small steps, and building momentum. I teach it to all my padawan Toastmasters.

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Nick

Thank you everyone for the welcome replies! It is good to see some familiar faces and a few new ones.

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi

• Thank you received: 24

Bright Soul replied the topic: Yo Jedis

Greetings Nick,

It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I see you are a very busy person but I would love to hear your feedback on my training and post - If you are interested in following a work in progress? Just an invitation when and if you'd like. Either way super nice to meet ya. I look forward to getting to know ya.

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.
Confucius

• Thank you received: 80

J. K. Barger replied the topic: Yo Jedis

Welcome back Nick! I remember JUST Jedi!! Good to see some old roots coming to life ;)

Th

• Nick

Well, after a nine month absence, I'm back to my studies at IJRS. Life is busy and things had to be prioritized, but some recent changes in my life have allowed me some time to be here and resume my lessons. I've been doing plenty of study on my own, of course.

For starters, I completed my Distinguished Toastmaster award. Four and a half years of hard work and growth complete. I still have much to learn and practice to get to the level I want to be to get into coaching and teaching professionally. That is a side project and not a career, though, so no rush.

Second, I completed a major goal to get my family in a self-defense course. We started Karate Budo last month and earned our White Belts on Sunday and first stripe last night. It is an exciting journey with the wife and kids.

Third, I am hitting fitness milestones I never thought I'd get. I always thought I just didn't have the body to build upper body strength to do hand stands or pull ups. Well, yesterday I did an unassisted hand stand pushup. I can credit the Nerd Fitness Assassin group leader for her mini-challenges giving me opportunities to challenge myself. I can also credit my ~20 lb weight loss this year to Pokemon Go. I get out and run for an hour twice a week or more to catch Pokemon and hatch eggs.

Lastly, my back injury (degenerative disc disease), which was at it's worst between September 2015 and March 2016, is in a manageable place. I'm still building strength and dealing with pain, but I understand my recovery needs when I aggravate it.

It has been quite a year. 2017 is around the corner and I'm looking forward to continued growth.

--Mahatma Gandhi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio), Tsjêbbe

• Thank you received: 1840

Jax replied the topic: Yo Jedis

Welcome back! Congratulations on those goals! It's been a long time since I did a pullup and never did a hand stand. :-)

By the way, if you add in some energy work you can likely get some further improvements in your back. We healed my wife's disk degeneration and bulging disks in her neck using energy work. It was slow, but by daily asking for healing energies to run it did make a difference. There are different approaches, so perhaps we should chat about this (or pm).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1826

Kol Drake replied the topic: Yo Jedis

wow... has it been THAT long?
I remember when you were first considering going to ToastMasters. And some of those other 'long term goals'. Amazing when we take time to 'look back' to see just how far we have really come.

Congrats on the weight loss, belt attainment, and all the rest. You've done some 'good stuff' there bub.
:yoda
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick

• Thank you received: 1424

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Yo Jedis

First of all welcome back and my congratulation for achieving your goals! As I have a youngling myself now since the 11th of August I only can hope and do my best to get her into the world of Budo. Unfortunately my wife already let me know that she has no interest in it as for her this is ticked off of her list by doing Kendo during her time at the University.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick, Tsjêbbe

• Nick

"Returning" to IJRS. Complete my training, I must. I've been training on my own for quite some time. I got to the end of Warrior 101, where the last assignment is to summarize what you have learned. In an effort to not regurgitate what I had written in my assignments, I decided to take some time to apply and process. Well, that turned into quite a bit of time. I am taking my lessons learned here and elsewhere, applying them to the real world to make an impact in other people's lives. Well, I have a couple more lessons before the Novice Exam, which I feel, through my experiences, I am ready for.

It is great to be back and I'm looking forward to meeting and interacting with all the new members here!

--Mahatma Gandhi

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds