Yo Jedis

• Nick
  • Nick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Don't Stop Believing... in yourself!
  • Thank you received: 142

Nick created the topic: Yo Jedis

I've been an on and off lurker here, but I'm getting more interested in pursuing the course material here. I figured I should file an intro before signing up and posting replies. Some of you know me from The Force Enclave, so you may have already read the following.

I'm 31, married with a two young daughters. We live in Cecil County, MD which is between Baltimore and the Delaware border. I'm an Electrical Engineer who specializes in RF/Microwave Engineering and Antenna Design. I'm a big football and rugby fan. I follow the NY Jets and Super Rugby.

My involvement in the online Jedi community began in 2005 at The Jediism Way. I was a solid contributor until its untimely closure. I was honored to be a part of the moderator team there. I was a member at JUST Jedi and The Jedi Way before each of their closures. I've also been involved at Jedi Sanctuary and few minor forums, as well the Jedi Resource Center.

I came here because I was interested in more Jedi study material. My time commitment will be sporatic, an hour one week, ten the next, but the time I put in will be enthusiastic and productive. As for progressing as a student here at IJRS, that is not as important to me as absorbing the material and applying it to life. I will participate and adhere to the rules as best I can, but my personal life will always come first.

Outside of the online Jedi community, I enjoy reading Star Wars novels (way behind the curve here!) and Jedi-related philosophy. "The Tao of Star Wars" is a personal favorite as the Taoist portions of Jedi philosophy align best with my personal philosophies.

Later,
Nick

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1849

Jax replied the topic: Re: Yo Jedis

:welcome
Glad you're deciding to jump in. Don't worry about training pace. It's setup for you to choose your pace. We will send reminders from time to time, but certainly not any more frequent than monthly, and that's just as a courtesy to make sure you don't get too caught up and forget completely. It's not a firm policy though, just something we're playing with to increase the quality of training.

I hope you'll jump into a few discussions. We don't move too fast so it's not too hard to keep up. :-)

• Thank you received: 525

Atticus replied the topic: Re: Yo Jedis

Welcome, Nick.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

• Thank you received: 1444

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re: Yo Jedis

Welcome, Nick!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Jedi Healer
  • Thank you received: 453

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re: Yo Jedis

Welcome Nick :) Jump on in to the conversations B)

"...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt
[/table]

• Nick
  • Nick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Don't Stop Believing... in yourself!
  • Thank you received: 142

Nick replied the topic: Yo Jedis

It has been a while since I've been here, but I am back in a steady state and plan to continue my Jedi training where I left off. I had to take some time away from formal studies to focus on my career. Through the summer of 2015, my 2 year project and contract was coming to an end in August and September respectively. I was on travel a lot for testing of the project. When it ended, there was no immediate follow on work, which put my career in limbo until I found something new. In October, I started a new job in a similar field on a familiar program, but very new tasks. I'm very comfortable in the new job which emphasizes my polished communication and leadership skills while utilizing my technical knowledge and expertise. I'm out of the lab and into a cubicle.

As for fitness and physical training, a back injury and the job change crumbled all my plans, destroyed my strength, speed, and stamina, and left me with 10 extra pounds to shed. I am on the road to recovery. As I said, in October, I started a new job only three weeks after my old one ended alleviating stress and allowing me the opportunity to return to the gym. In October and November, I took a lot of time off from fitness to allow my back to heal. In December, I started physical therapy to strengthen my back. I have occasional flare ups, but for the most part, I have my body functioning like its old self. Physical training has resumed in a new form.

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

--Mahatma Gandhi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 525

Atticus replied the topic: Yo Jedis

Welcome back. I'm very glad to hear how you have come back from adversity.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

• Thank you received: 1849

Jax replied the topic: Yo Jedis

Welcome back! Glad to see things are on a forward trajectory for you.

• Thank you received: 117

Tsjêbbe replied the topic: Yo Jedis

I don't know you but welcome back, haha :yoda

"Little decisions over time make a big impact on our lives.” - Eric Samuel Timm

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1892

Kol Drake replied the topic: Yo Jedis

Life -- the training interruption one can never ignore. :)

Glad to 'see' you back. And congrats on the job shift. Change can be good -- sometimes.

Re: injuries...
I'll go all Captain Obvious and advise going slow and taking it in small steps so it is not a larger issue later. Nothing wrong with 'baby steps' if it means long term recovery.

So -- :welcome
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds