Jedi FAQ

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: Re: Jedi FAQ

why can't we use our websites and libraries as references?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 239

Memnoich replied the topic: Re: Jedi FAQ

their guidelines:

Notability requires verifiable evidence
The common theme in the notability guidelines is that there must be verifiable objective evidence that the subject has received significant attention to support a claim of notability.

The evidence must show the topic has gained significant independent coverage or recognition, and that this was not a mere "flash in the pan", nor a result of promotional activity or indiscriminate publicity, nor is the topic unsuitable for any other reason. Sources of evidence include recognized peer reviewed publications, credible and authoritative books, reputable media sources, and other reliable sources generally

What about the podcast/radio show that Inari was on a while back? Can we get that added to the article?

PS, I'm fighting with you on this! this needs to be fixed and I agree that Jediism should be a sub-page of Jedi Realist as they are a religion based off of the Jedi Realist Philosophy, not the other way round.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.
  • Thank you received: 82

Stryse replied the topic: Re: Jedi FAQ

their guidelines:

PS, I'm fighting with you on this! this needs to be fixed and I agree that Jediism should be a sub-page of Jedi Realist as they are a religion based off of the Jedi Realist Philosophy, not the other way round.

I don't know that the Jediism religionists would necessarily see it that way.    Mostly because, while chornologically the idea of 'Jedi Realist' may have predated  the idea of 'Jediism'... I don't think we can assume that Jediism was born out of Jedi Realism in all cases.    Many things have sprung up in the last decade of their own accord, either because people didn't like what they found elsewhere, or simply came about it on their own without ever connecting with the rest of us.   

In my own experience, Jediism as a term has several flavors... some of which are more inline with the "Jedi Realism" as it is defined here, and others that are more in line with what the Jedi Churches are up to.    I think there are three major categories of Jedi.  Those who view the Jedi Path as a relgion unto itself.  Those who view the Jedi Path as an compliment to their actual religion (Christian Jedi, Mormon Jedi, Pagan Jedi, etc... i've seen various groups named as such... though I think they take their queue from TOTJO).    Finally, there those whose approach to the Jedi Path is more scientific (for lack of better phrase), in that they pursue it but don't attach any relgious significance to what they are doing... which I think the Jedi realists would fall into, as well as perhaps Agnostic Jedi or Aethist Jedi.

I guess the bottom line is...  from a wholistic standpoint on ALL the Jedi of this planet...  its still all very fractured and there is no real consensus on what one term should include and not include in its grouping.        I think its fine to make the distinctions as we see them in places like this, but when we're talking about something like Wikipedia, we have a greater responsibility to do it right.    No one of us, nor any one group, has any business telling other Jedi/Jedi groups what they should call themselves, or what category they fall under.  This is, actually, the only place I've heard the phrase "Jedi Realist."  Not to say i've not been under a rock or something.  :)    But it might be hard sale to convince people that their religion is based off a philosophy they've never heard of by that name.    They're probably going to tell you their religion has nothign to do with you, that they based it off Star Wars.... nevermind the similarities between any two hypothetical Jedi groups.  (Human perception is always fun, isn't it?)

Jedi certainly aren't the first to face this conundrum, and we likely won't be the last.    Spend some time with the New Agers and you'll run screaming for the hills when they try and tell you what's what.      I guess my advice would be keep it as generalized as you can when talking about Jedi as a whole, because you'll be hard pressed to find any molds that you can fit the bulk of Jedi into.    Individuality tends to derail all such efforts.

That being said... keep pushing to get Jedi Realist on its own standing, because it IS different from other branches of the broader Jedi movement, and its distinctiveness deserves recognition.    There are certainly people out there who were interested in exploring what it means to be a Jedi, but were turned off by the more religiously-toned branches... These people would probably find what they were looking for in a place like this.  Let me know what else I can do to help, as its worth fighting for, and I will be all too happy to stand with you on it (already saw the link to the Wikipedia article to add my two cents... so i'll get on that shortly). 

Also, as its now peaked my curiosity (had no idea this predated the census thing), it would be awesome if someone could share with me offline the story of this institute and the Jedi Realism you've created, as I'd like to have more than a few choice lines in a handful of books to reference...    the more accurate my understanding, the better job I can do of promoting it, and keeping people clear on the distinctions between this and other branches of Jedi.  :)

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

here is the link to add your comments and voice to the article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Jedi_realist

Alright... i'm apparently not as savvy with Wikipedia as I thought i was.  :)    Went out to this link, wasn't sure how to properly add my comments.  Just edit the project page and add my thoughts?  Or do something on the discussion page?

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

their guidelines:

What about the podcast/radio show that Inari was on a while back? Can we get that added to the article?

For that matter, would there be benefit in starting up a recurring podcast on Jedi Realism, involving members of this site, to discuss it on a regular basis?

Stryse

• Memnoich

yes, for the discussion you have to 'Edit' the page to add your comments.

I agree that they should be split into separate pages, but the Admins at Wiki seem to want to group them together, and if that's the case, I feel because of chronologically, and the fact that most of the founding members of the Jedi Church's came from one Jedi Realist site or another, that the Jediism religion is mostly based of off the Philosophy of the Jedi Realist. Even the founder of the UK Church mentions that he created what he has by searching the net and modifying it to fit what he envisioned.

.oO Memnoich Oo.

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

yes, for the discussion you have to 'Edit' the page to add your comments.

I agree that they should be split into separate pages, but the Admins at Wiki seem to want to group them together, and if that's the case, I feel because of chronologically, and the fact that most of the founding members of the Jedi Church's came from one Jedi Realist site or another, that the Jediism religion is mostly based of off the Philosophy of the Jedi Realist. Even the founder of the UK Church mentions that he created what he has by searching the net and modifying it to fit what he envisioned.

Oh, goodness.  They want to pull us all under their banner (and the level of indoctrination they have planned remains a mystery)...    kinda funny if their banner was forged from the hard work of the people they want to enfold into their flock.  Anyone know why they use the alchemical symbol for Saturn? 

I liked the idea put out of having a page on Jedi, and then from there launching into all the branches that entails.  Of course first we need a disambiguation page to seperate real-world Jedi from rpg'ers, and of course fictional Jedi.  :)

Stryse

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1747

Jax replied the topic: Re: Jedi FAQ

I think the debate of who came first, etc isn't really important, simply that we have our own page.  Wikipedia really should catch up with the way movements exist these days.  What about wookiepedia?  :-)

• Memnoich

ok, so it seems that the biggest complaint is that a quick google search brings up mainly forums and Blogs about Jedi Realist, and not anything seen as notable, i.e. books, news articles, devoted website, etc...

So it seems what we need is for more Jedi Realist websites to submit their URL to www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl with the keyword Jedi Realist included so that a search brings it up

Oh, and if someone wants to write a book on being a Jedi Realist, or the Jedi Realist Philosophy, I guess that would help as well.

.oO Memnoich Oo.

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

• Memnoich

Kol, I hope you don't mind but I did some clean up, restructure, and added a few things to the wiki page, in hopes that we can get enough referenced content to make it "notable".

.oO Memnoich Oo.

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds