Stryse's Adventures in the DreamScape

• Stryse
  • Stryse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.
  • Thank you received: 83

Stryse created the topic: Stryse's Adventures in the DreamScape

I figure I'll post the more intriguing dreams here.

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Stryse replied the topic: Walking Dead

Cross-posted from my blog  (blog.stryse.net)

Walking Dead

Not the zombies though.    Although AMC has a great series on its hands.  If you haven’t caught the debut season, you should definitely check it out.

No, the walking dead I speak of is in reference to a guy in my dream last night.    Let’s just say that we were dating…

Well the story of this guy goes that he was in some kind of accident, and died.  Doctors were able to get his brain functioning again.    While he’s definitely functional, and not handicapped in anyway, he’s not altogether there either.

A combination of what other characters in the dream told me, and my own sense of him, is that his body is very much alive… but the soul of the man who once owned it has moved on.    I remember remarking to myself how well his brain was doing at autonomous functions.    He could talk, had access to memories, full range of body motion.  By all appearances, a normal guy.     

But he wasn’t.  The real ‘he’ checked out in that accident and what’s left is simply biology carrying on.    Never met someone without a soul before.    Kind of odd.

I had the distinct feeling that my involvement with him was somehow using someone’s body without that someone’s permission…    because the real him was dead and unable to tell me his wishes in that regard.

All in all, it reminds me much of an episode from Stargate Universe.  (And not just because people on that show swap bodies on occasion.)    Back in the first season there was this episode called Faith.    Destiny encounters what the crew concludes is an artificially created solar system.    An away team heads down to the planet to get some supplies, and decide they want to remain there.

Second season just had an episode where they mysteriously reappear next to the Destiny.  They come aboard, and everyone initially checks out, but the rest of the crew is uneasy about them.    Something they can’t quite put their finger on…    turns out they all died on that planet.    Somehow their bodies were repaired and reanimated, and brought to Destiny.    Unfortunately the repairs weren’t complete, or something.    They start succumbing to whatever killed them originally, and one by one they die again.

In the end we’re left with the last guy of this group standing, and he is a man of deep faith.    He originally believed God had made him reborn, saving them from the harsh conditions of the planet and bringing them back to Destiny.    But as the rest of his group dies off again, and the reality of his situation became apparent… he came to the realization that he was simply a shadow of the real him… that the real one, his soul, had moved on and was looking down on him even now.    That’s what made everyone so uneasy.    The bodies were repaired, but the mysterious aliens could not build a new soul.  Intuitively the rest of the crew felt this and were inexplicably repulsed by their one-time colleagues.

So similar theme I guess with this guy in my dream.    Makes me wonder though… as medicine advances, and the ability to restore brain function, repair damage, and otherwise resuscitate someone who has died improves… the day may come where someone could be dead for hours, maybe even a full day or week…    and we can ‘bring them back’ without any physical side-effects.

Already we can keep the body alive and functioning even if the brain inside isn’t running the show anymore.  Saw this rather chilling new piece of technology that keeps a heart beating, so as to improve the ability to get it into a transplant recipient by expanding the amount of time they have to complete the transfer.      (What they allow on television these days is amusing, particularly compared with what they won’t allow.)

In the rhetorical, philosophical questioning mindset…    what’s that going to mean?    With the right kind of imaging devices, we’ve actually seen something (soul perhaps?) leave a body at the time of death.  We don’t know what it is, but its something we can observe if we’re in the right place, at the right time, with the right equipment.

What if this is the soul… what if it does ‘move on’ and the body itself remains on life support?  What then if nano-bots or something are introduced and repair the damage… returning the body to self-sustaining-operation?      Will medicine one day yield us someone like the boy in my dream?    Will we even know one when we meet them?

I’ll have to rethink my DNR orders when that day arrives.

Stryse
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Brandel Valico
  • CARPE NOCTEM
  • Thank you received: 88

Brandel Valico replied the topic: Re: Stryse's Adventures in the DreamScape

I've meet two people in my lifetime who I would consider walking dead. (Good reference by the way with SGU. Made it crystal clear to me at least what you meant)

The first was a rape victim. A girl in my High School who had been attacked and killed (spiritually) by several people. I watched her when she came back to school the next year. I had known her as a passing acquaintance before it occurred. After she came back I couldn't stand to be in the same room with her. Not because of what happened but because she was no-longer there. Her body was there , Her mind was there, She talked and acted like everyone else. But if you listened with more then just ears and paid attention to where she looked and how she felt to others. You could tell she was gone. Her body lasted a few years before it died. (Car Crash while driving drunk).

The other was an old monk who had invited myself and a friend to be there when he passed away. Sitting quietly studying as he did so. There was a moment when he was gone. Though his body suffered on for several hours still talking and discussing Zen with us.

HOMO SUM HUMANI A ME NIHIL ALIENUM PUTO

• Thank you received: 1828

Jax replied the topic: Re: Stryse's Adventures in the DreamScape

What I suspect is that in the case of the monk the soul left in bits and pieces, not all quite ready to go at once.  Since time is a completely different experience out of the body to the soul it could have still been a very short amount of time, but to you was hours.

As for the rape victim, this is when a Shaman or someone else similarly inclined would need to do a soul retrieval.  Her soul is still there but it's so broken and scattered that she's a mere fraction of who she was before then.  Unfortunately soul retrieval is also a challenging process so even if she knew about it and knew someone who could do it, it may not matter.  It's unfortunate.

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Stryse replied the topic: Re: Stryse's Adventures in the DreamScape

Something the descriptions of your experiences reminded me of...

In some contexts at least, one's soul and one's spirit are not the same things.  :)

Stryse

• Brandel Valico
  • CARPE NOCTEM
  • Thank you received: 88

Brandel Valico replied the topic: Re: Stryse's Adventures in the DreamScape

He did indeed go over time Jax (The monk) What I meant by in a moment is that you could tell when he had let go. One moment he was vibrant and there. The next he had begun to let go and move away.

In the case of the girl. It was indeed very unfortunate that even with those responsible thankfully being caught and punished she simply couldn't find herself again. I've never heard of soul retrieval before, I wish I had though if it could have helped her.

HOMO SUM HUMANI A ME NIHIL ALIENUM PUTO

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

I don't know all that much about the soul-retrieval process myself.    Shamanistic practice that has wormed itself into some other traditions.    I know that there is an aspect of it that has to do with finding missing pieces of your own soul.  Part of shadow-work and integrating your shadow from what I gathered.

Stryse

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

interestingly.... just caught up on Fringe last night.  Mid-season finale also dealt with this theme...  a body being brought back to life, but not the person they knew.    "I don't know what I brought back but it wasn't her."  "I looked into her eyes and knew it wasn't her."

Stryse

• Stryse
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Keyword for the dream that woke me up (fully) early this morning is 'Imperial Legion'

Reference to Elder Scrolls (specifically oblivion since I've been playing that the past few weeks).    I'm not really sure what I was dreaming, only that I wasn't part of the imperial legion, but a different faction of soldier... probably the Blades since whatever it was, was related to protecting the kings.  (Tamriel being ruled by an emperor not withstanding.)

Was up a good couple of hours after that and no idea why.    Maybe because I disturbed my own slumber to capture the key word.

When i woke up this morning it was something about stacking figurative crowns/titles.    I dunno what that was about.

Though it did trigger a recall of a completely different dream from a different night... one where my boss came in with a bunch of coupons (casual day coupons I believe) and said something to the effect of making sure we got our (team's) share of whatever it was the company was giving out.

Stryse

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds