Marked/Highlighted "NEW" issue

• Thank you received: 1827

Jax replied the topic: Re:Marked/Highlighted "NEW" issue

I don't rely on new notifications bc kunena doesn't do it well like the phpbb boards did. Instead I am subscribed to almost all boards so I get emails for new threads. You can do this for any board you like. I don't think it gives too many emails so I prefer it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1810

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:Marked/Highlighted "NEW" issue

A thought just came to me --

(1) Make certain you have cleared all caches.

Sometimes, to make things 'work faster' (seemingly) some programs / browsers will hold site maps, pointers, etc. in cache memories so that instead of popping up the latest 'fresh' page -- which can take time -- the program will grab what is in 'holding storage'. If your system & programs are doing that, it will only reflect what you viewed from last time. Oft times, consider using 'REFRESH' or 'RELOAD PAGE' to see if you are getting the stored image instead of the latest page.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atticus

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Johannes (Yoshio)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Thank you received: 1414

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: Re:Marked/Highlighted "NEW" issue

Thanks for your feedback, especially Kol Drake's last post gave me a new idea. Although I cannot say it for sure, but I'm pretty certain that what Kol Drake described isn't really my problem but it might come close to it. Why? Because today all post which got a reply maybe soon after I left the board are not marked but all other threads which got a reply just recently are marked as "new". This makes me think that either my Firefox settings prevent the renewal of the cookie entirely as long as it is opened as I normally don't close Firefox when I have my PC/Notebook switched on or the cookies get only updated when I fire up Firefox the first time in the morning. If so, I'm wondering if it goes together with settings in Firefox on my side or if there is something odd with the sort of timestamp the cookies of our board are using as I don't have this issue with other forums which I do regular visit.

Anyway, today I will test it in the way that I shut down Firefox when I'm done on the board and will check if this does make any difference when I come back to the IJRS the next time which is likely to be Monday morning.
Anyway, I keep all of you updated!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Jax

• Thank you received: 523

Atticus replied the topic: Re:Marked/Highlighted "NEW" issue

I'm having this issue too, but intermittently. Jax, I am subscribed to the intro sub-board, and I don't un-check the subscribe option for any threads I post in there, but there have been several replies that I didn't get notifications for.

"Right speech is about establishing productive and honest communication that is beneficial to both the speaker and the hearer. . . . Right speech requires the use of truthful, loving words intended to inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope in others." -- The Dharma of Star Wars

I find that happens if I just delete the email notification without clicking the link. I don't know why. That might not be what does it either. Soon ww'll upgrade software and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

As an up-date to that. Today it was even "worse" in the way that nothing was marked as new although, obviously after a weekend or around three days, there had been several new posts since I have left the IJRS and closed Firefox after my last visit.
In addition I subscribed to all the main subcategories but it seems it does work only for new created posts in them as the only e-mail notification I got had been the one for Jax new CSS thread - which I haven't yet read.
This brings me unfortunately back to my old problem of either needing to subscribe to every single thread I'm interested in or running the risk to miss new posts.
For now I and as I don't like the idea of subscribing to each and every thread, I will use this as a lesson for being conscious and precise when visiting the board.

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
NerdFitness Profile

That's really weird. Seems to be an issue with your browser. Have you tried a different browser? The first time may not show new but after it should.

• Johannes (Yoshio)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

No, Jax, I haven't tried any other browser simply because I'm in general quite happy with my Firefox and especially the option to use add-ons with it.
The last time when I tried Chrome I wasn't really satisfied and although this might have changed now, I don't really see a point in why I should move all my Firefox settings over to another browser.
IE is for me no alternative. ;)

Anyway, I will have a close focus on things and as soon as something major will change I will report back here. For now I can live with things and how the are.

NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jax

I really hope upgrading the site software will fix these issues. And if it continues to be an issue we can look into hiring a pro to convert us over from kunena to something that does this better, like phpbb (assuming it is compatible.)

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds