Peaceful Warrior?!?!?

• David (Phoenix)
  • David (Phoenix)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows
  • Thank you received: 455

David (Phoenix) created the topic: Peaceful Warrior?!?!?

Alright Everybody, we're going to push forward with discussions.

So I'm sure everyone has come to realize or at least wondered about the biggest irony of this book..how can there be a "peace"ful "war"rrior?

Well lets start of first by asking how people would define a peaceful warrior..

:yoda
The topic has been locked.
  • Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1908

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re: Peaceful Warrior?!?!?

You do not make this easy do you...  :P

I had to ponder on this all day and then dug into the dustier corners of my mind to see what I could offer up.

Precepts of a Peaceful Warrior

The martial arts have always been deeply rooted in Buddhism and Taoist practice.  This is evident in the warrior codes, precepts and tenants of the various martial arts traditions.  The following precepts are combined from the various warrior mind philosophies that I have been taught and researched over the years -- from training and study of the martial arts.  I apologize since I can not recall the original sources. 

The Warrior strives to reach above himself, his false perceptions, his adversaries... His highest achievement is not one of victory, but one of absolute truth.

(See... warrior does not mean one HAS to ever pick up / use a weapon.)

A warrior, once a warrior, will always be a warrior.
A warrior is the epitome of controlled compassion & controlled violence.
A warrior speaks from the pure heart and mind, transcending the ego.
A warrior is one of great discipline.
A warrior is a man of few words, refraining from speaking without reason.
A warrior has not the luxury for excuses.
A warrior recognizes the differences between the meaningful & trivial.
A warrior can never afford fear, he lives in poverty of fear.
A warrior learns how to defend before the attack.
A warrior continues to develop the skills of his trade without end.
A warrior seeks unity of mind, body, & spirit.
A warrior understands the merits of compassion.
A warrior pursues a knowledge of all things, regardless of nature.
A warrior's profession is war, his product is peace.
A warrior integrates the practice of truth within all his day to day activities.
A warrior sees the truth within himself, within his adversaries, within the world.
A warrior is not separate from all things, but strives to flow as one with all things.
A warrior is as water taking the shape of its container.
A warrior places the lives of those innocent & weak above himself.
A warrior knows pain, sadness, joy, & solitude.

It is my opinion that there are many many peaceful warriors around us everyday.
The single mom busting her backside to feed, clothe, support her family.
The doctors working multiple shifts in the emergency wards.
ALL the folks who responded to 9/11 in every way... great and small.
And so many more... who are living each day as best they can with what they have and not bitching and moaning as they Live their Way.

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

And since I have this soapbox all warmed up.. let me add another bit.....

Shades of the old poem/song "Desiderata" 

Here's a link for those too young to remember the ditty from 30+ years ago...

hobbes.ncsa.uiuc.edu/desiderata.html

There is much 'jedi' truth.. and warrior instruction in those long ago written words.

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re: Peaceful Warrior?!?!?

Yes! I do make it hard( unitentionally though lol shhhh :-X) 

Anyways,  I like how you found the different 'tenets' of a Warrior.  Reading through a lot of them, it almost seems as though peace is an underlying necessity. 

So maybe it is not an irony as much as it is a, lets say, fundamental truth.  Maybe it isn't irony? 

Oh and thank you for warmining up the soapbox, im sure their will be some excellent discussion.  But now that you defined a warrior, how do you explain the contradiction???

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Most see the word warrior and think 'fighter, war, conflict'.

war·ri·or  (wôr-r, wr-) n.
1. One who is engaged in or experienced in battle.
2. One who is engaged aggressively or energetically in an activity, cause, or conflict

But, if you use the second definition, you can see that a warrior can strive the warrior ideal (as listed before in my previous posts) but not be a dude/duddette in camo gear and weapon at the ready.

Now peaceful...

peace·ful  (psfl) adj.
1. Undisturbed by strife, turmoil, or disagreement; tranquil. 
2. Inclined or disposed to peace; peaceable.
3. Of or characteristic of a condition of peace.

I believe one must reach inside oneself to reach that place / be-ing of peace --- so they can then 'be' a true warrior in totality --- when facing any challenge or adversity.

Suppose I could 'spin' the terms a bit and revamp it to be Spiritual Warrior  ???

Spiritual
Concerned with, or affecting the soul / spirit.

Warrior
One who is engaged aggressively or energetically in an activity, cause, or conflict.

So, a "Spiritual Warrior" - one who is engaged in the conflict of disciplining one’s mind and body in order to exhalt one’s spirit by dedicating time and actions to his or her soul.

And, one must come to that center of inner peace -- which reflects outward to outer calm.. so that one can 'be' a true warrior in mind, body, and spirit.

Sorry... do not think it is coming out with as much clarity of 'ah ha!' as I had hoped when it struck me this evening.    :-\
  • David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows

LOL thats ok.

I thought that was a creative idea for changing the term to "spiritual" warrior.  Very creative!

Anyways,  I think the book is called Peaceful Warrior based on Soc's belief that you can find peace within your self, once you battle out all your negativity as a warrior, thus becoming a peaceful-warrior. ( Iwas paraphrasing, but thats the jist of it)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Been reading further in 'the book' ---  which always triggers more mental musing...

My impression is ... one must embrace the precepts of a warrior; live as a warrior -- which includes facing one's inner demons, fears, foibles.

Once 'done' (it's never really 'done' but.. an evolving, ever changing dynamic) --- one can then be 'at peace' / face any challenge in Life with the calm, peaceful center (core of Being) of a true warrior.

In one way, I suppose a warrior MUST learn the 'arts of war' -- be it personal defense or good 'attack' strategy ... to know how to overcome any challenge.  So, martials arts, lightsabers, sharp mind, philosophies ---- knowledge (of self and of all else one can learn) is the weapon and practice sharpens those edges of the weapon(s). 

As with any situation, violence is the last resort... after all other avenues have been exhausted.  We see this even in the Star Wars movies;  'muscle' (and lightsabers) are used only after all else has been tried.

HEY... I am hogging this topic.... where is eveyone else ... to chip in their views, opinions, impressions  and musings?
  • David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows

Been reading further in 'the book' ---  which always triggers more mental musing...

My impression is ... one must embrace the precepts of a warrior; live as a warrior -- which includes facing one's inner demons, fears, foibles.

Once 'done' (it's never really 'done' but.. an evolving, ever changing dynamic) --- one can then be 'at peace' / face any challenge in Life with the calm, peaceful center (core of Being) of a true warrior.

Which is what I was referring to by the quote from Soc :)

HEY... I am hogging this topic.... where is eveyone else ... to chip in their views, opinions, impressions  and musings?

People get busy, but I'm sure replies will come when they are ready, until then I am enjoying YOUR musings ;D
  • Thank you received: 0

Intel replied the topic: Re: Peaceful Warrior?!?!?

A warrior can be peaceful, just because one can fight does not mean they will.  I think a warrior gets to be truly peaceful when he gets to master his/her style.  I say this because when most people learn how to fight they want to use it and prove how good they are.  Whereas with a master he knows battle and there is nothing poetic about it and they do what they can to avoid it.  I read the book The Five Rings and the master of that book had won so many fights that people just wanted to fight him so they could prove themselves.  So with one of them he accepted and told him they would fight on a nearby island.  When they got to the island he let the young fighter out and rowed away.  Fighting is not always the answer and when you are at peace with yourself and your world then you are a true master.  In this respect the Jedi are peaceful warriors, they learn to fight but they practice peace. 
  • David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows

This was a very intuitive response, and I liked that.  Fortunately it kind of parallel's what kol drake was saying.

A warrior can be peaceful, just because one can fight does not mean they will.  I think a warrior gets to be truly peaceful when he gets to master his/her style.  I say this because when most people learn how to fight they want to use it and prove how good they are.  Whereas with a master he knows battle and there is nothing poetic about it and they do what they can to avoid it. 

If you watch the movie( I can't remember if it is in the book or not), there is a scene where Soc and Danny are being robbed/mugged what have you, and Danny is under the false misconception that Soc is going to fight back as a warrior. 

What Soc does instead is practically strip down to his underwear, handing out his clothes to the muggers.  He has Danny do the same.  Now I'm sure several lessons can be taken from this scene, but it came to mind with what you wrote.  Just because someone can fight doesn't mean they should.  Soc was the master, and while I have not read the book about him, I'm unsure if he ever saw war.  However, in today's society, all we need do is turn on the tv to the news for just even a minute now, and be exposed to more war than we should ever see.  For me, it makes me appreciate those who have served/serve in the armed forces, but it makes me sick knowing that I am exposed to so much violence.  However, knowing this has at least for me, helped me to understand there doesn't always need to be a battle and that there can be peace.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds