The Way of the Warrior

• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1846

Kol Drake created the topic: The Way of the Warrior

Back in 2002, there was a movie called, HERO. It starred Jet Li. I'm listening to one of the tracks from the movie because I love the work of Tan Dun... and his "For the World" track haunts me every time I hear it.

All that said, I post a line from the movie... and wonder if it plucks a chord in anyone else's philosophical soul.

"I have just come to a realization! This scroll by Broken Sword contains no secrets of his swordsmanship. What this reveals is his highest ideal. In the first state, man and sword become one and each other. Here, even a blade of grass can be used as a lethal weapon. In the next stage, the sword resides not in the hand but in the heart. Even without a weapon, the warrior can slay his enemy from a hundred paces. But the ultimate ideal is when the sword disappears altogether. The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains." 

Perhaps this is the direction 'we', as Jedi, should aspire for... to be a warrior without a lightsaber (or real world equivalent)?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9

Rahbert Awn'nyr replied the topic: The Way of the Warrior

Indeed. The sword as a material thing is the least important aspect of being a Jedi. Realistically, there is little need for a Jedi to even be trained with a sword. It would make much more sense for Jedi to be trained in the use of firearms. But if one sticks to the ideal of the sword, then perhaps using a staff or stick can easily become the lightsaber of a Jedi.
However, there is a great work called the Sword of No Sword by Tesshu, a Japanese master, which I think that material from Hero alludes to. The greatest lightsaber is your mind. Use it properly, and you can defeat your enemy without even fighting. Or something along those lines. Sounds good in theory, and one that I continually try to attain in my own training.
But ancient weapons and hokey religions are no substitute for a good 9mm pistol, kid.

"Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior."
---- Carl von Clausewitz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 227

Dineara replied the topic: The Way of the Warrior

Perhaps the true meaning of being a warrior is ultimately aspiring to 'lose' yourself - to lose that warrior status, for it won't be needed anymore. It serves its purpose, like does the sword in the quote. But could a warrior truly be willing to see what happens if they ultimately dare to move beyond their warrior status?

The sword, first merged with the man, is the act of man becoming himself... his True Self. Illusions are cleared and there is no need for something 'other' than himself to act in the world. All powerful, all capable, dynamic force.

The sword, residing in the heart, brings this ability and awareness to the level of love - the act of reaching both inwards and outwards after Becoming. It is this expansion that indeed does "slay the enemy from a hundred paces" - instead of reaching just yourself, you can reach others. What the warrior slays is not the other person but their own judgement, preconceptions and everything other than not allowing and embracing. You get in terms with your internal darkness, not by dissolving it, but accepting it and loving it as part of what makes you that unique expression that you are.

The disappearance of the sword is the merging of the warrior and the universe. There is no "me" and "you", for there is One. Who is the enemy then, who would you fight against? For even the darkness within or outside is just where it is supposed to be, just as it is supposed to be. A warrior sees this, feels this, and accepts this, but this doesn't make them incapable of action - quite the contrary, it gives them a larger freedom and the skill to act purposefully, precisely, tactfully while honoring the entire experience of Consciousness. The only person you ever waged war against was yourself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Johannes (Yoshio)

• Thank you received: 1433

Johannes (Yoshio) replied the topic: The Way of the Warrior

Just as a very quick reply to this topic, in any martial art, from my understanding and it doesn’t matter which one, one is actually talking about, the highest goal is to overcome the ego, the self and that is what this quote says in my as well. Once we managed to get rid of the ego, to overcome it, there is nothing one could attack and therefore no need for someone to “defend” it and we can live in peace with our self and with all and everything around us.

There is another saying which I once have heard, unfortunately I’m not able to remember it anymore in all detail, which had a similar connotation and said something along the line of:
“When all arrows are shot, when the blade is broken, take your heart and aim.”

Qui-Gon Jinn: "We cannot control our emotions, but we can decide how we go along with them."
Bujinkan Busshin Dojo - Wordpressblog
NerdFitness Profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Nick

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds