When I am triggered

• Thank you received: 239

Baru created the topic: When I am triggered

What happens when you are triggered?

When I get triggered I am aware of stuck energy and that I have something to work on. At times, I feel like I am "done" or that I am doing well in my life and then "bang", I get triggered. emotions come up. Negative speak starts. I get caught up into the "cave" of my mind and want to hide from what is "hurting me" in that moment.

I look forward to being clear of such energy blocks. I want to be adaptive and fluid.
I am working on this.
I am working on staying present when I feel something come up and then I look forward to "nothing" coming up.

I have an end goal in mind. but for now, I simply acknowledge that I get triggered and I still have more work to do!

We are the Force.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1848

Jax replied the topic: When I am triggered

I think everyone gets triggered at some point, no matter their level of development. The better the tools applied, the faster the person gets out of them. And the less they are triggered. :-)

I have a few tools I go to most often. They only work when I remember to use them though. ;-) I have written about some of these but should probably update them anyway.

What tool depends on what is going on. If someone has pissed me off, I go to these.
1. Interesting point of view, I have that point of view.
Triggering is because of a judgment I've made. Saying this reminds me that everything is just a point of view, which isn't solid like judgment. And it reminds me that my reaction is based on MY point of view, not theirs. They can only affect me if I allow it.

2. All of life comes to me with ease, joy and glory.
Many times I'm triggered because of the lie that others have control over my life. I view them as having made things more difficult for me, but that's disempowering me. I create my life. So this mantra reminds me of that and takes me out of powerlessness and into potency.

3. Everything is the opposite of what it appears to be, nothing is the opposite of what it appears to be. (aka the crazy phrase)
Sometimes people are just illogical and 'crazy'. Or the world seems to be. This phrase reminds me that there's always a lot more to the story and a higher perspective might bring me more awareness. And if it doesn't, that's ok too. There's always something else. So for me, I trust in the benevolence of the universe.

4. Benevolent outcomes
I request benevolent outcomes frequently throughout the day. Many times it's the only thing I can do, but that's all better than nothing and often better than anything else I can do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1875

Kol Drake replied the topic: When I am triggered

Sadly, it appears that high stress, constant anxiety about work and life and social anxiety has become 'the norm' of the modern way of life. The rats are winning the rat race! With everyone expected to be in 'high stress mode' each and every day, it is no wonder most people just do not feel a sense of peace, calm or serenity.

How does one try to NOT get sucked into 'those moments' when we might go from zero to Sith in a heartbeat?
Mostly -- it is by developing habits. You develop habits by doing them daily... weekly... monthly.... until it is ingrained in your heart, brain, and soul. They will not make you a perfect person or the perfect Jedi but, they might help you over the roughest of 'moments'. As we have stated in many places, the ONLY THING YOU CAN CONTROL IS YOUR OWN RESPONSE. You can respond to the same event like a zen Jedi or go full atomic blast with the associated fall-out afterward. It is up to YOU.

Here is a list as given by Leo Babauta -- 'The Seven Habits of Calmness' -->

1. A calm morning ritual.
Many people rush through their mornings, starting the day out in a stressful rush. I wake up a little earlier (5 a.m. these days, though that changes), and start with a little meditation, then a few yoga poses. I then start writing, before I let the noise in. Exercise is another component of my morning routine. You don’t need to do the same things, but find the quiet of the morning and make the most of it.

2. Learn to watch your response.
When something stressful happens, what is your response? Some people jump into action — though if the stressful situation is another person, sometimes action can be harmful. Others get angry, or overwhelmed. Still others start to feel sorry for themselves, and wish things were different. Why can’t other people behave better? Watch this response — it’s an important habit.

Here is a BIGGIE v v v . ( I'm looking at YOU. You know who you are. :P )

3. Don’t take things personally.
Many times the response (that you noticed in Habit 2) is to take things personally. If someone does something we don’t like, often we tend to interpret this as a personal affront. Our kids don’t clean their rooms? They are defying us! Our spouse doesn’t show affection today? He/she must not care as much as he/she should! Someone acts rudely at work? How could they treat us this way?! Some people even think the universe is personally against them. But the truth is, it’s not personal — it’s the other person’s issue that they’re dealing with. They are doing the best they can. You can learn not to interpret events as a personal affront, and instead see it as some non-personal external event (like a leaf falling, a bird flying by) that you can either respond to without a stressful mindset, or not need to respond to at all.

4. Be grateful.
Sure, lots of people talk about gratitude … but how often do we apply it to the events of our day? Things are crashing down at work, or our boss is angry, or our co-workers are rude, or our kids are misbehaving, or someone doesn’t love us as we’d like … do these cause anger/anxiety/unhappiness, or can we be grateful? Drop the complaints, and find a way to be grateful, no matter what. And then smile. This unbending habit can change your life.

5. Create stress coping habits.
Many times, when we are faced with stress, we have unhealthy responses — anger, feeling overwhelmed and withdrawing, eating junk food, drinking alcohol or taking drugs, shopping or otherwise buying stuff, going to time-wasting sites, procrastinating, and so on. Instead, we need healthy ways to cope with stress, which will come inevitably. When you notice stress, watch how you cope with it, and then replace any unhealthy coping habits with healthier ones. Healthy stress coping habits include: drinking tea, exercise, yoga, meditation, massaging your own neck & shoulders, taking a walk, drinking some water, talking with someone you care about.

6. Single-task.
I’ve written numerous times in the past about single-tasking vs. multitasking, but I think people multitask now more than ever. People text while on the train, while walking, while driving. They tweet and post to Facebook and Instagram, they email and read blogs and news, they watch videos while getting things done, they watch TV while eating, they plan their day while doing chores.

This is a great way to cause a level of anxiety that runs through everything you do, because you are always worried you should be doing more, doing something else.

What if, instead, you just did one thing, and learned to trust that you shouldn’t be doing anything else? It takes practice: just eat. Just wash your bowl. Just walk. Just talk to someone. Just read one article or book, without switching. Just write. Just do your email, one at a time, until your inbox is empty. You’ll learn that there is peace in just doing one thing, and letting go of everything else.

7. Reduce noise.
Our lives are filled with all kinds of noise — visual clutter, notifications, social media, news, all the things we need to read. And truthfully, none of it is necessary. Reduce all these things and more, and create some space, some quiet, in your life.

While I agree with the 'list', I'd say -- definitely item # 1. Find a 'morning ritual' that works for you. This means -- you might have to get up an hour earlier to meditate or sit and read a religious/philosophical passage/encouraging phrase of the day. Heck, maybe it means just sitting quietly with a good cuppa and staring out the window as the sky lightens and the world awakens. Making 'that time' be 'sacred moments'... it all helps. Explore ways to make the beginning of each day calm/relaxing... even if it IS only a few moments before the family kicks it into high gear. Starting the day with a bit of zen-ness is tons better than hitting the accelerator before you feet hit the floor!

For work?
Take a slow, deep breath in and hold it. Then expel the air as you envision all that stress leaving you. Do this three times in a row and you'll be stunned at how much your stress has been reduced. You can (and should) do this technique several times during your work day, whenever you feel like you've lost your calm. What can take 'a few seconds' can turn your whole day around. PLUS.. breathing is a good thing! Deep, down to your toes breathing / not that stiff, chest only/half paralyzed breathing. Go deep!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Tsjêbbe

Leo is wonderful. :-)

• Thank you received: 117

Tsjêbbe replied the topic: When I am triggered

Thanks for sharting that Kol! It si very usefull!

"Little decisions over time make a big impact on our lives.” - Eric Samuel Timm

• Thank you received: 239

Baru replied the topic: When I am triggered

Wonderful insight.

I am enjoying grounding with the plants that I am harvesting.

Anyone else have experiences with being triggered?

Good thing I don't have jedi powers when triggered, lol.

We are the Force.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds