What is a Jedi Mystic?

• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 529

Connor created the topic: What is a Jedi Mystic?

I am curious. It seems we have many Mystics on this forum.

I am coming, more and more, to the idea that Mystic and Healer classes aren't so different. Perhaps Mystic-Healer is a hybrid that is so prevalent that it should be considered the norm. I say this because study of the Force will naturally lead to being a counselor, which is healing in its own right.

How do you feel you fall into the Mystic/Healer path?

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Jedi Healer
  • Thank you received: 452

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re:What is a Jedi Mystic?

I think that's why I'm starting to like Consulr more and more, with the option to specialize more mystic or healer depending on your preference. While there is overlap, there are differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt
[/table]

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Connor replied the topic: Re:What is a Jedi Mystic?

"A Consular is a specialized kind of Jedi. They focus more on cerebral Force skills. They're our healers, our researchers, our seers." ―Zayne Carrick

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Consular

Whelp... I'm an idiot. How did I miss this? I think I was hypnotized by the Chicago Jedi version of consular. lol.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1875

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:What is a Jedi Mystic?

That wiki definition is weird -- they worked on non-violent diplomatic relations; studied deeper into the workings of the Force; and, as a last resort used their Force powers and lightsabers. It kind of comes across as Qui Gon Jinn merged with the Dali Lama with a little old school old Obi Won Kenobi. And for some reason, my head keeps thinking -- I can 'see' the Dali Lama as a non violent diplomat -- but not hopping about with a lightsaber ala Yoda.

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Jedi Healer
  • Thank you received: 452

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re:What is a Jedi Mystic?

Well, the quote that Connor gave was just a quote. If you actually go into the Wiki source, it goes more in depth about diplomacy as being a core trait to the Consulars.

And in addition, it mentions the different roles the Consulars could pursue. I'll post them here as links for anyone interested:

Jedi Ambassador
Jedi Artisan
Jedi Diplomat
Jedi Healer
Lore Keeper
Jedi Researcher
Jedi Seer

All sources from starwars.wikia.com

Now, I'm going to assume Mystic probably falls under some fusion of the last three- Lore Keeper, Researcher and Seer. But, yes, in general Consulars were what I consider the thinkers, philosophers, healers and diplomats.

Connor, do you have a link or source on what the Chicago Jedi define as a Consular?

"...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt
[/table]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Connor replied the topic: Re:What is a Jedi Mystic?

"Jedi Guardians are tasked with overseeing the education and training of the Initiates and assisting mentor Knights and Masters to educate and train their Apprentices.

Jedi Consulars are responsible for preserving and encouraging the Jedi culture within our group as well as keeping communication lines open both within our group and with the larger Jedi Realist community.

Jedi Sentinels are involved in the administration of the business affairs and other activities of the Chicago Jedi."

As you can see, it's vastly different than what we know from the fiction.

The following user(s) said Thank You: David (Phoenix), Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 1848

Jax replied the topic: Re:What is a Jedi Mystic?

It's adapted for their needs.

I see the mystic as being focused on energy first, so being very attuned to the Force, working with it as a first thought rather than an afterthought. I'm not a fan of the religious element that some interpretations give it and don't see it as required in any way. Now, if a person uses that communion with the force to help others, they are a healer. If they use it for their own explorations I guess they are something else. lol I don't know...categories can be challenging. :-)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1875

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:What is a Jedi Mystic?

I'd go along with Jax on this bit -- "Mystic" does not automatically equate to "Religion/religious teacher".

After all, what is a mystic?
The mystic finds the eye of the needle and enters into the realization of the Force/Source within.

A mystic is one who, above all else in life, desires to know (not in the intellectual sense of knowing) the deepest Truth of Existence. A mystic is one who senses more to life than making a living or being of service in the world – although these things are both necessary and good. The mystic, however, is looking beyond an exclusive focus on these survival/self-actualization desires to something more: she/he is looking to discover the deepest truth of our being as incarnate souls; to understand our greatest potential as reflections of All-That-Is. The primary interest in life for the mystic is to discover truth, to know the Divine (under whichever identity you affix to it), to see into mans whole nature. The mystic sees all of life as an abundant opportunity to discover, realize, and express the Force.

All the above sounds kind of spooky and hand wavy...
The mystic consciously enters into the sacred journey that all the world’s great religions speak of in various ways: becoming awakened, enlightened, born again. It is an inner journey that requires a deconstruction of the conditioned illusions of separation so that the true freedom of living can emerge. It is the process and realization of letting die our stale and conditioned habits and beliefs so that we may live in the fullness of each new moment of Now. It is the realization that true living can only be lived in a freedom that moves with the current of the Force — forever open to each moment teaming with new potential.

I do not think a Jedi Mystic is really a counselor as some see it (though I suppose one might wish to have a 'hermit in a cave' on call for instant enlightenment motivation).
If you study the life of past mystics you’ll find they share several things in common:

First, they all speak of an induction – or of a need to learn/realize a new level of understanding. They all speak of a fundamental shift in consciousness --be it called awakening, realization, divination, or being born again.

Second they all tell of making a journey into and through a despair process of being “undone” as the precursor to this fundamental shift in consciousness — be it through experiencing 40 days and nights in the wilderness, starving under the boddhi tree, facing the dark night of the soul, or the hero’s journey. There is a Journey of metamorphosis that all mystics have undergone in some way.

Third, it is an inner journey that must be taken up and navigated alone. This is a hallmark of the mystic’s realization: the reason the journey must be alone is because that which must be faced, seen, and surrendered in order that something new can emerge, is only possible through sustaining the fear and despair process of being alone and meeting the ultimate and fundamental fear of “non-being” and annihilation.

Fourth, they all seem to realize the frustration of being misunderstood by those who have not yet been through the awakening journey — “those who have ears to hear, let him hear.”

A great deal of the mystical writings are devoted almost exclusively to the fact that fundamental spiritual truth cannot be understood by the intellect nor correctly put into words. Forever, the great spiritual teachers have tried through the insufficiency of words to point toward that which can ever and only be experienced and known on a level that is before and beyond the mind. If you haven't gone through 'the process', no amount of explanation can help you understand what happened / is going on. In fact no words can encompass that which has been realized.

That is why we see so many people (wrongly) trying to “practice” their way into spiritual realization with all sorts of dogma, belief systems, religious structures, postures, and prayers. The reason these things don’t work is because the need to grasp something is the very thing that has to be let go of!

So, the word Mystic at its root stands for that which cannot be named – that which is forever before the naming: Source. The word also hints at the path to spiritual realization -- to become capable of going into a terrain that is beyond the mind (before the naming), separate from any belief, any identification or security, and opens through a sense of awe for the great mystery which is the Force.

Sorry... no therapy couches or diplomatic credentials or mountain caves necessary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atticus, Jax, Kai Sabu, Victoria, Isen SoRac III

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds