Tool: What is right about this?

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1890

Jax created the topic: Tool: What is right about this?

Today I'm reminded of one of my favorite questions; What's right about this that I'm not getting? Here's the little story. My wife had a seizure last week which triggered an intense migraine quickly. This was different than any other time. She was in the ER twice in one day, with slightly different treatments each time. We asked her doctor to admit her (through a note) and he never got back to us. So, not making it wrong, I ran some body processes on her for some relief. Then yesterday she was back at the ER. The first doctor she saw was there, and she told the other doctor that we suspected chronic Lyme. He totally understood, as his daughter dealt with that too. He loaded her up with meds, more than she'd ever had with a migraine. He made sure to truly treat her pain. And more importantly, he made sure to truly care and believe her when she said what was going on. This allowed much deeper healing than even the medications could do. This combination allowed her to heal faster than ever before and she was up and making breakfast today. How does it get better than that?

If I had made it wrong, I would have missed this chain of events, where the first doctor took her seriously, but didn't write Lyme in her chart since that can cause issues with other doctors. But she told another doctor who took it seriously as well. She got appropriate treatment all 3 visits. And this last visit inadvertently treated the Lyme flare up by addressing inflammation in 3 ways. I also found some body processes that have created a detox of some of the lyme infection in her body. I might not have run those if she was hospitalized.

It's so easy to make things wrong. That's why this question is often such a powerful one for me personally. :-) Give it a try! It applies to everything that you are making wrong, even if you think there's a good reason to call it wrong or negative.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David (Phoenix)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Tool: What is right about this?

Jax, could you elaborate more about "making it worse" and "making it right". As anyone who reads my training journal knows, I tend to over think. How do I get out of my own way in a situation like what you described? I am sure that simply asking "what is right about this" will be a helpful tool for getting myself out of minor funks, and refocusing on the positive. I would love to work on a larger scale though, as you described.

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Tool: What is right about this?

If you don't mind sharing an example, that might be easiest. It works the same on big things or small things, though you may need to ask more than once.

Let's try this. Reality just is. It isn't good or bad, or right or wrong. It's our judgments that determine that. If we are thinking about how bad something is, we're making it wrong because it doesn't have negativity on its own. But if we ask, what's right about this that I'm not getting, it shifts the energy to allow the awareness of anything besides our current judgments to start showing up. For me I feel a lightness when I ask that question. Sometimes all you need is that little bit of lightness to start shifting things and that is the goal in the end. Less heavy, more light.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johannes (Yoshio), Katie (StormyKat)

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Tool: What is right about this?

That helps, thanks.
I guess the best example I have at hand right now is my attempt to see the doctor today. I had an appointment for 11:30. I decided to walk down to my doctor's office to help stretch my back, earn miles for the virtual race I am doing, and to celebrate Earth Day. I got to the doctor, signed in and waited. When it was about 20 min past my appointment I checked in at the desk and was told the doctor was running an hour and 15 minutes late. I was furious. I have better things to do with my day off then sit in the doctor's office waiting. I waited a few more minutes, and when I still hadn't even been called in the back, I told them I couldn't wait any longer. I left and stomped my way home. I was furious because they didn't tell me about the wait. Not even when I checked in (like they were doing for the patients of the other doctor). Walking...er stomping home helped clear out the worst of the anger. I was also grateful for the chance to get out of this appointment, which I have been debating about for a while. Trying to see it as a chance to save money (no doctor fees!) and being grateful for the walk I would not have taken otherwise. Also, trying to do at least one productive thing to validate my "I have better things to do" thoughts, because honestly, I was sitting there reading...which I can do anywhere...as long as I don't run out of reading material.

Is that sort of what you mean when you ask "what is good about this?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Tool: What is right about this?

Yes, exactly. And if you had asked earlier you could have avoided the anger all together. Nothing wrong with it, just showing how it can be used in different ways.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds