• Connor
  • Connor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 530

Connor created the topic: Thought Experiment: Magic

The Premise is: Magic is real.
Condition: You must truly believe this to be true in order for it to work.
Condition: But, even when you do believe, what you do isn't guaranteed to work.
Condition: The Magic may or may not work. but, you will never know if it does or not. Could be just a coincidence.

So, you must believe the premise is true for it to work. But, you are not guaranteed a result.

Do you still practice Magic and assume all you do works?

Note: I am not saying that this is how magic works. This is a thought experiment when you alter reality to fit the premise and the conditions. :) I will post my thoughts in a day or so. Thanks!

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Jedi Healer
  • Thank you received: 453

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re:Thought Experiment: Magic

This is very interesting lol. I've been toying with this thought as well since we've last talked on Facebook. And it comes up in "I Jedi" too. However, I don't think it's about the conditions, I think those are layers that block the premise. I think we believe magic is real (in some form), but we've adapted the realities of everyone else around us to understand this reality that we block the very thing we are trying to create. In other words, magic is real, but to make it physically present requires us to go outside of this reality to make it work. Just my two cents...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt
[/table]

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1893

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:Thought Experiment: Magic

Is Magic Real -- and If It Is, Why Doesn't Everyone Do It?

It is as Jedi Phoenix notes, many believe it in one form or another -- as 'simple' as making a wish on a star or when they blow out the candles on their cake. Many do when they sit in a big old building and prayer to a nebulous deity in the hopes they will win next week's lottery mega payout. Is it any less magical when someone bends down and plucks a 4 leaf clover -- just because?

I could cut & paste tons of material of 'weird stuff that happens' that would make the X-Files seem like light reading... and yet, 95% of the people in this world never notice; never WANT to notice that really weird stuff. And, 'real magic' kind of falls into that same category for most. Either their faith tells them it's nasty or their philosophy is 'I won't believe it until I see it -- and it better be lightning or fireballs from the fingertips or it's not really magic'.

Most skeptics ask for 1000 times the 'proof' they would ask for a standard 'regular' scientific procedure.
How much proof is real proof?

And for all those fans of conspiracy and black helicopters -- how much are we encouraged to NOT delve into such things because folks doing 'real magic' would be considered a problem and possible future threat to those who like to stay in power? Can't have a bunch of magic wielding folk around who are not firmly under the thumb of those who believe they are in charge.

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Connor replied the topic: Re:Thought Experiment: Magic

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate it.

But, neither of you did the thought experiment. I'm curious, IF all the conditions were true, and you chose to believe the premise... would you still practice magic?

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1893

Kol Drake replied the topic: Re:Thought Experiment: Magic

neither of you did the thought experiment.

Really? How did you know if I did or didn't? Magic?

The premise is okay.
The conditions are pretty much what 'magic' really is / does... so there wasn't much 'experiment' to it.
When it works, it works rather well; when it does not I have to look over the conditions and thrust of the working to see if it was the 'magic' that failed or if I did not approach it properly. And then there are those times when everything is perfect and 'other stuff' happens which indicates that 'it just ain't gonna happen like that'. That is seldom the failing of 'magic' but in the understanding of the intrinsic nature of how magic fits into the greater whole... which typically means, more study and more practice to understand better.

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Jedi Healer
  • Thank you received: 453

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Re:Thought Experiment: Magic

Oh re-read your post. I'd say yes, I'd still practice magic, but eventually with enough "coincidences" happening, you'd begin to rule that out in favor of you actually knowing magic worked...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt
[/table]

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

Yay! Thanks David. :)

• Thank you received: 1849

Jax replied the topic: Re:Thought Experiment: Magic

If I am who I am now, of course. Isn't this the very premise of our reality right now? It's not a thought experiment, it is what we live in now. And we have all chosen to play. :-)

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty

;)

• Thank you received: 96

Hilda Cain replied the topic: Re:Thought Experiment: Magic

Very true! If someone had magic, they would hide it and never use it in public. No one was to be put into a black box and studied.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds