Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Who the meek are not - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Who the meek are not

• Jax
  • Jax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal
  • Thank you received: 1905

Jax created the topic: Who the meek are not

Who the Meek Are Not
by Mary Karr

Not the bristle-bearded Igors bent
under burlap sacks, not peasants knee-deep
in the rice paddy muck,
nor the serfs whose quarter-moon sickles
make the wheat fall in waves
they don't get to eat. My friend the Franciscan
nun says we misread
that word meek in the Bible verse that blesses them.
To understand the meek
(she says) picture a great stallion at full gallop
in a meadow, who—
at his master's voice—seizes up to a stunned
but instant halt.
So with the strain of holding that great power
in check, the muscles
along the arched neck keep eddying,
and only the velvet ears
prick forward, awaiting the next order.
"Who the Meek Are Not" by Mary Karr, from Sinners Welcome. © Harper Collins, 2006.

Does the change your perspective on meekness? How can you apply this to being a Jedi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please forgive typos
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows
  • Thank you received: 455

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Who the meek are not

INteresting post, I thought I saw this on FB.

It definitely adds an interesting perspective on meekness,but I'm not sure it changes it. Even growing up in a Catholic Church, we often heard that meek people were not 'door mats'; that to be humble did not mean you were walked all over it. What it meant was that you had a reverent respect for God. We can be proud of who we are, but at the end of the day, we are not immortal nor infinite (Catholic-sense).

Today though I see this in the terms of being a Jedi and using the Force. We can't flaunt who we are, nor feel superior than any one person. We have to respect our talents and gifts that we receive. This, to me, also means still having that respect for the Force. I see it as building a relationship rather than just a tool or means to and end.

• Thank you received: 153

Brian replied the topic: Who the meek are not

Jedi Phoenix wrote: INteresting post, I thought I saw this on FB.

It definitely adds an interesting perspective on meekness,but I'm not sure it changes it. Even growing up in a Catholic Church, we often heard that meek people were not 'door mats'; that to be humble did not mean you were walked all over it. What it meant was that you had a reverent respect for God. We can be proud of who we are, but at the end of the day, we are not immortal nor infinite (Catholic-sense).

Today though I see this in the terms of being a Jedi and using the Force. We can't flaunt who we are, nor feel superior than any one person. We have to respect our talents and gifts that we receive. This, to me, also means still having that respect for the Force. I see it as building a relationship rather than just a tool or means to and end.

I really like the way you phrase your idea of meekness and humility. It really resonates with me.

Assistant Instructor-Communication 101

The following user(s) said Thank You: David (Phoenix)

• Memnoich
  • To walk the path, is to look for the truth.
  • Thank you received: 258

Memnoich replied the topic: Re:Who the meek are not

I always saw the meaning if meek to be the same as that as being humble. You have abilities and strengths, but you treat them with respect. You use them when needed to help others and the greater good, but you don't go around flaunting or abusing it. A Jedi was meek while a Sith was not. It's not about power or control, about being a format, but about what you do with the skills you are given, cause even just having them, but not using them is a waste.

.oO Memnoich Oo.
"Do or do not, there is no try" ~Yoda
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased." ~Spider Robinson

Dojo
Temple
Dream Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re:Who the meek are not

I don't really understand that poem, but I will happily share my understanding of the Greek word "praus" which is translated as "meek" in the New Testament. Praus was originally a term used for the best horses - strong and capable, but cooperative and able to work well with their rider. When push came to shove, they would stand their ground and continue to do their job without hesitation. So applying it to humans it seems to refer to the strong but silent types. The people who go about their own business, getting things done, but not seeking recognition or attention. They are not trying to be leaders and they are not simply following, they are doing what they know is right. Jesus also describes himself as meek, so anyone considering his words should not define meek in a way that would not also apply to the man that overturned the tables in the temple.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re:Who the meek are not

The meaning of words change over time. So the current cultural meaning is often different from the original meanings. Thank you for the origins!

• Thank you received: 75

zen-ryo senshi replied the topic: Re:Who the meek are not

Definitely. I've only ever seen the word meek used in biblical references and I think people define it differently now than how the original Greek word was used. But since I didn't understand the poem, I have to admit that I'm not sure if my post was appropriate or out of left field.

If I speak from a good motivation out of sincerity, respect, and love for others, my actions are good, virtuous. If I act from a motivation of pride, hatred, criticism, and so forth, then my verbal and physical actions become nonvirtuous.

- 14th Dalai Lama

• Thank you received: 5

Adam replied the topic: Re:Re: Who the meek are not

As a young boy I was paid a great compliment by being told I was meek. I misunderstood the word and he explained it in a similar fashion. Passion or power held in check by self-control. Unfortunately I've lost some of that self-control over the years which is ironic considering I was in 7th grade when he told me I was meek. As I matured I actually lost control. I was, I must admit, a fairly mature child though.

"Man fears the dark so he scrapes away at its edges with fire." - Rei Ayanami

• Jax
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Academy Principal

Jax replied the topic: Re:Who the meek are not

They are called hormones, the enemy of self control. ;-)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Adam

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds