Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; multiLangField has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/multilangfield.php on line 10

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; parseString has a deprecated constructor in /home/institut/public_html/components/com_jshopping/lib/parse_string.php on line 2

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 460

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Service/ContainerImpl.php on line 461

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/cms/application/cms.php on line 471
Institute for Jedi Realist Studies - Waking up to the Force - Institute for Jedi Realist Studies

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 256

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 270

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/institut/public_html/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/nbbc.php on line 275

Waking up to the Force

• Kol Drake
  • Kol Drake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com
  • Thank you received: 1949

Kol Drake created the topic: Waking up to the Force

Over on the blog, A Little Death , Ona speaks on why some folks seem to immediately 'get enlightened' while others can be doing practices and yet, take years to suddenly 'wake up'. I found this last section resonating with this same concern about touching and being touched by the Force...

We are all very much attached to the world, to our self-centered interests, to a sense of identity and a sense of control. We must discover and surrender these attachments, and good spiritual practices are designed to help us do this. But the ego is always to hand, ready to co-opt each step and turn it into another attachment. So we may seek awakening, yet become so enamored of certain mystical experiences that we cling to them, feeling powerful and safe there, and not wanting to go deeper.

We may seek awakening, yet become so afraid to look honestly at our own crap that we keep dropping our practice and running back to comfortable things… then start again when we realize that’s not solving the problem… and then flee again when things get hard. We may seek awakening but want to remain firmly in control of the process, as if we can somehow recognize the delusion of self-centeredness through self-centered action.

Surrender to grace is too frightening, and we hang onto the rug with both hands even as God tries to gently shake us loose. And sometimes God will just give the rug a good crack and send a person falling into grace anyway. But often He seems patient enough to let us take our own time. He drops the occasional rock on our heads to try to get our attention, but when we blithely ignore it and continue to pursue our own agendas, He gives us the space to flounder around for a while before trying again.

Eventually we exhaust ourselves chasing after our own agendas and give up. Then grace can move freely in us. But how long it takes to reach that point…

... immediately or a lifetime, it happens when it happens... many times whether we are 'ready for it' or not. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: David (Phoenix), Rebekah, Jedi Initiate H, shea (shlomit), Katie (StormyKat)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18

Jedi Initiate H replied the topic: Waking up to the Force

it is a really interesting point. I have found on my journey that the more I attempt to control and hang onto things the more effort that is need to stay on that path. When I let go the path is gently laid before me (well several). Things tend then to come through the Force and more synchronicity happens. That said it easy to say let go but it is not as easy a it is said
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Rebekah

• David (Phoenix)
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Shadows
  • Thank you received: 455

David (Phoenix) replied the topic: Waking up to the Force

I actually found this post really interesting and timely. For the first ten years I've been on this path; the agenda was the training curriculum here at the academy.

Like it said in the article that's not a bad thing until it becomes your attachment. The grace I received was when I realized there is no longer an agenda but rather the freedom to follow a path that is not very certain; but a path also that still is very huge in my life.

It's actually quite tumultuous to think about. The beauty is that I'm learning just to be :) be a human being rather than a human doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk- please forgive typos!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake, Rebekah

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Kol Drake replied the topic: Waking up to the Force

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jomela

• Connor
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • Look for the bare necessities
  • Thank you received: 535

Connor replied the topic: Waking up to the Force

You know, in the image you posted, the problem isn't the time thing. The "time" thing I can understand. What I think the main issue is is the "I" part. We ascribe our identity to a closed soul inside a sack of skin, as Alan Watts might say. And, by this measure, we are trying to "get" inner peace. Like a trophy.

Like the original article stated, this is why people take years to realize they are chasing their own tail.

House Rules: The only rules are Paradox, Humor, and Change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie (StormyKat)

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

"A human being is part of the whole called by us the universe, a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.

The true value of a human being is determined by the measure and the sense in which they have obtained liberation from the self. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if humanity is to survive."

Albert Einstein

And, as you noted, Watts pointed out, such a new way of thinking must originate from a much deeper place in our consciousness (both personal and collective), from a state of consciousness and being where we do not conceive of ourselves and others as merely separate "egos" encased in "bags of skin."

• Kol Drake
  • Faculty
  • Faculty
  • koldrake55@yahoo.com

Mr. Watts at his most eloguent -- >> You're It -- Alan Watts <<

• Thank you received: 1904

Jax replied the topic: Waking up to the Force

very cool videos, thank you.

• Thank you received: 494

Katie (StormyKat) replied the topic: Waking up to the Force

The Alan Watts videos were fascinating. They gave me lots to think about, especially the first video. YouTube suggested this video for me as well, and I think it fits. He says we are "God" i.e. wood is hard in relation to the softness of our skin, the world exists because we are the way we are...it is fascinating. Also a really good relation to the force. We are the force. The force is us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kol Drake

• Thank you received: 48

Tai-Da Vrikaurvan replied the topic: Waking up to the Force

Katie Rose wrote: Also a really good relation to the force. We are the force. The force is us.

One of my closest beliefs :)

Jedi Apprentice Tai-Da Vrikaurvan
Apprentice to Jedi Phoenix
Former Apprentice to Streen Ynr

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”
― Mother Teresa

"Look to the future and your eyes cannot shut. Look to the past and you can't open them. Live in the moment, and you can blink."

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds